The Newspaper Seller..

who remembers the newspaper seller who had no legs and would sit outside the Cathedral on Derby road opposite the bus stop?

as a lad I remember there would always be a commotion whenever the bus stopped at this point, with people diving on and off the bus and a lot of shouting!

I'm told they even built a niche in the wall to accomodate him, but don't see the evidence today.. did they rebuild the wall? .. was there ever a niche? .. somebody must know!

ilko..

• 2 weeks later...

Yes this guy used to sell papers on the corner of Alfreton Road/Hartley Road.

He used to Yell "Post" "Post"

I remember as a kid seeing a guy walking past him, chuckling away.

Having just said to him "Post? Ya wanna lean on it" :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

The guy in the hole in the wall at the Cathedral used to sell matches, and when he had finished for the day he used to swing himself on to the bus by holding on to the pole and then go thump on the platform.

Jimmy used to sell papers on the corner of the Boulevard and Radford Road, he used to visit someone in Aspley and call in at my Grand Mothers for a cup of tea.

Just a bit of useless information.

A :P

Thanks for that Tutanic! .. I was begining to think I'd imagined him! :blink:

strange thing is, if you go by where he used to sit by the cathedral, there's no sign of the hole in the wall.. it must have healed up!

I recall someone telling me he also had a bit of a temper, and that seems to fall inline with the fact that there always seemed to be some sort of commotion whenever the bus stopped by there..

It seems that Jimmy is also the same chap as Mick remembers!

I can't recall him at all.. was he the same one as sat outside the cathedral? :unsure:

ilko..

I don't think so, he started selling papers at the corner of Hartley Road and then he moved to Hyson Green. He was a small chap with dark hair and a round face. he used to squint at you through round glasses. Another one with a temper.

The hole in the wall guy was a nasty tempered person. He used to have leather sewn to the bottom of his trousers to stop them wearing out, and he used to wear thick leather mittens.

A :P

• 11 months later...

Ah sent this last week burrit musta not bin right, so ere i goo agen.....Can't remember the noos paper seller on derby road, or ahtside the cathederal. ah menny noos paper sellers dint ev enuff legs? Mester Dunston ony ed one leg, un e sowed papers on exchange walk in the 50's E usta live on Denman Street.