Always reminded me a bit of TB ;)

_39854785_bashstreet203.jpg

Bash Street Kids, The Cast

The Bash Street Kids is a comic strip in the British magazine The Beano. The strip was created by Leo Baxendale in 1954 under the title When the Bell Rings, and became The Bash Street Kids in 1956. Baxendale continued to draw it until 1962. David Sutherland has drawn the majority of the strips since then.

The strip is about class 2B of Bash St School, a fine institution where the teacher and the headmaster still wear mortarboards and gowns. The class contains 10 students:

'Erbert - A shortsighted boy who can see perfectly well without spectacles. But with them, he is as blind as a bat.

Fatty - A boy that can never stop eating.

Danny - The leader with the soul of a pirate. Wears a skull and crossbones jumper that his grandma knitted him, and a floppy red school cap which indicates his rebellious nature. He is quite crafty with his own sort of intelligence.

Spotty - A short sarcastic character who is often compared to Christmas pudding. He is quite handy when he wants to be, and his attire (like his extraordinarily long tie) often helps the kids out in tough situations.

Wilfred - An interesting boy, with thoughts hidden behind the depth of his green jumper. He often resembles a tortoise and has a mystery about his neck that he never reveals. Whenever he takes off his jumper all we see is a vest up to his nose.

Toots - Sidney's twin sister and the girl of the class and the youngest. A classy tomboy who can be as bossy as Danny when she wants to be, but has more of a heart than any of her friends. She is very tough and the boys have no problem letting her join in their games.

Smiffy - The naive, somewhat dumb one who often confuses genders and nouns. He can be very kind and aware of things, but most of the time he can't even remember 1+1.

Plug - The hideously ugly one who uses his face to his best defence. In fact he's so ugly that when he pulls a face he becomes handsome. He also has a great sense of humour. His name comes from the word pug. He later appeared in his own comic, called simply 'Plug' (1977 - 1979), which starred him and his two pets, Pug, from Pup Parade, and Chunkee the Monkey. His name used to be Pug - the L was added when Smiffy had a spare one when spelling the word "sily". Plug's "real name" was first revealed as "Percival Proudfoot Plugsey" on the cover of 'Plug' , although earlier issues of the Beano give him the name Claude.

Sidney - Toots' twin brother and the keeper of a dozen animals. He wishes to become a vet when he grows older because he knows more about animals than anything. Sidney always has spiky hair resembling a chimney sweeper's brush in which he takes pride.

Teacher - never "Teach" - is also worth a special mention for having to put up with Class IIB all these years.

Cuthbert Cringeworthy - The brightest child in the class, a teacher's pet that tends to be bossy, rude, and spoiled. He has a name for every letter of the alphabet. His first appearance in the strip was in 1971.

Winston The Cat - The school's cat. He is often seen mopping the floor with Janitor.

Head - The pompous and portly school headmaster. He is very fond of tea and biscuits.

Janitor - The school's janitor. He hates litter and rule breakage. He seems to enjoy bossing Winston about.

Olive - The school cook, who first appeared in the strip in 1980. Everyone hates her food, as the ingredients for it include items such as old books and the like. On the other hand, she has a high opinion of her cuisine.

Some of these characters are referred to only by their occupation; for example Teacher, Head, etc. This is fine example of surreal and bizarre British humour at its best - in one strip, the headmaster's brother's name is Mr. Headsbrother.

Each child's parents look almost exactly the same as the child. Mrs. Teacher also looks like Teacher, right down to the moustache.

• Upvote 2
  • 10 years later...

Had a walk along Green street the other week: Oh what a sad sight, my childhood gone for ever. The science/woodwork/metalwork block & the gym looked about the same, but as for the juniors/boys/girls blocks - oh dear me, what have they done? I suppose it's progress, but it made me very sad.. :(

• Upvote 1

Come on the bash street kids are far more sauve than the tb kids.

I think there are not a lot of people that a whole way of life was removed from their history,their homes shops neighbours and way of life just wiped out with the stroke of a councils pen it is so sad that the few things that remain are now also being removed to leave no evidence of a time that only them that lived it can appriciate,and a older generation died wishing to return to the world of real eqaulity

in that most had nothing ,but proving sometimes more is less.

I often sit and think of the characters that then existed, today called exrovert then called whatever came to mind,with some of the values from that time may one day return for the basis of returning to

a common sense world.We know back then not everything was rosey however it was a good place to start in lots of ways,kids were mostly tough but not in a vile way ,they mostly had respect for older family

members,we are now a multi cultur.tociety,and things we once knew as

normal will probably die with us there will always be an element of dennis the menace in hs ,but is that a bad thing?naa.

• Upvote 1

What about piggy roberts ,smooth straight and narrow , could not please piggy or marciniak in fact none of the bloody teachers why I left that school,with sore hands and backside and has thick as s..t.

Needed their quota for raleigh boots players ect.but I dun alrright doing my thing and working hard,passed my gcses at 40.NVQ 4 registered

Manager,even later,when I left school I could not pass wind or spell it ,I later learnt it was spelt I t

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

#13 Cliff ton.

Wow that's changed a lot since I last went a couple of years ago. Makes me sad, but, would I want to go back in time? Let me think! Do I want to be scared of getting the cane or strap for some minor infringement? No. Do I want to be sat there bored out of my head when a blackboard rubber bounces of your bonce? No. Do I want to go round kocking on doors & running away? Oh yes, I'd love to do that again. Do I want to stop buses then run off & annoy Catfan? Oh yeah, annoying Catfan would be great fun, just hope he doesn't catch me, lol...

• Upvote 5