Not possible for an exterior pipe. Not without running it through my next door neighbour's front room, which as I dont like the noisy sod doesnt seem like a bad idea.

As for wood, I can get loads of it. Mate of mine runs a joinery for restoring listed buildings woodwork. He buys wood of the finest quality by the ton and ends up cutting most of it away. He is grateful that I take some of it away! Also there is a wood land near me and they chop trees down just to let the other trees grow. They just leave the logs there.

• 5 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Norton Disney quarry in winter and in spring where I was part of the management team, 

Norton-winter-08-3.jpg

norton_sunset_2.jpg

Both pictures taken from roughly the same vantage point

Rog

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

What's happening about the Lancaster aircraft memorial project at Norton Disney Rog? I feel it was a shame to erect it behind the previously installed wind turbine which will spoil the visual impact. Do they need more funds?

Always need more funds Phil, I think a fair bit of the fabrication work is/has been done, I was up there a couple of years ago (Brills farm) on a funds raising tractor run, I got some pics somewhere of a model of how it's going to look, I'll find them out tomorrow

Rog

I was watching a documentary just  now about a couple of restorers who dismantled a 1940s piper cub artillery spotter aircraft and rebuilt it from the ground up to airworthy status. Somewhere in Lincolnshire.

It was flown to the mass gathering of Piper cub  spotters in France to commemorate Dday. During their 'getting-parts-tested' travels they visited the Linc Lanc in its home field where said Lanc was taxiing around on the grass sans ailerons. I think it will be airworthy one day.

(P.S.  A bit tenuous I know but the meanderings of some threads are a bit like Tennyson's poem 'The Brook')

• Like 1

I saw that program too WW, very interesting but was touch and go at time but got there in the end, the Lanc that was taxiing around the grass is Just Jane at East Kirkby museum, worth a visit

Rog

• Like 1

I’ve seen Just Jane at East Kirkby many times. You can get up close and view the progress. On air days you can pay to go into the cockpit and have a taxi trip. I once flew in loose formation with the RAF Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane when they took off from Coningsby. Sadly it was before the days of ‘phone cameras so I have no pictures, just a note in my logbook. I was in radio contact with their ATC so I didn’t break any rules! 

I've just checked my flying logbook. It was August 1977. I was only 34 then! Long time ago. 

• Like 1

One for Willow Wilson, Just Jane at East Kirkby, they also got the DH Mosquito doing taxi runs now

DSCF1346.jpg

Rog

• Like 1
15 hours ago, philmayfield said:

What's happening about the Lancaster aircraft memorial project at Norton Disney Rog? I feel it was a shame to erect it behind the previously installed wind turbine which will spoil the visual impact. Do they need more funds?

From the fund raising charity tractor run a few years ago, a model of what it's going to look like

P1060983.jpg

P1060989.jpg

Should be quite a sight when the full size one is in place

Rog

Yes it will be rusty, eventually

Rog

Know what you mean about the wind turbine but I think the size and tilt of the Lancaster against the hillside will direct the eyesight away from that, hope so anyway

Rog