I'm off to the R.I.A.T at R.A.F Fairford on 12th July to see the F22A Raptor put through it's paces (At last)

Piloting the aircraft will be Major Paul 'Max' Moga from the Air Combat Command F-22A Demonstration Team based at Langley Air Force Base in Virginia. Maj Moga, (who has more than 250 combat hours,) is the first F-22A demo pilot. So as you can tell I am rather looking forward to it.

NOW THE REASON FOR THE TOPIC

Does any body know of a decent lens hire company any where nationwide.Or does anyone have one I can borrow, I would like something like a 300mm or larger, it's to fit a Cannon EOS 400D which is a standard digital SLR fitting.(Bayonet mount ,it doesn't need to be digital)When I get back to work I am going to buy one but at this moment in time I'm a bit skint.

Have no fear I will collect and return in perfect condition on the same day if neccessary

So any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you......... Ian

I've found a couple on the internet but they are stupid prices (One even wanted £1000 deposit for a lens that only costs £750)

Sorry mate - my 70-300AF VR is Nikon fit and not compatible

Otherwise you would be more than welcome.

Thanks for that Mick (I never thought of ebay)

I'm a bit weary when I don't know if it will definately fit. it says can't be rechipped for digital I know my old Canon (SLR) lenses work on my new digital will this?

Mind you I can always take my old camera and some film

Thankyou for your help so far everyone it is much appreciated

Thankyou for your help so far everyone it is much appreciated

I hope you're bidder 3 Ian as he certainly looks determined

A F7.2 fixed focal length 500mm might not be best suited to photographing flying planes though. Not the fastest lens - lets hope it's a bright day :biggrin:

Try Calumet

http://www.calumetphoto.com/rental

I think they've still got a branch in Nottingham - used to be on Nelson Street.

They are still there zab. I went in there a few weeks ago looking for a film scanner that was advertised on their website. I didn't receive the warmest of welcomes so I voted with my feet.

Ian

The Manchester or Liverpool branches may be closer than the Nottingham one

http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?ac.ui.pn=c...CompStoreLoc#UK

Thanks again Frank

What would you good people recommend I hire /try to buy.? Baring in mind that It's a digital SLR I have.

I had a look at the Calumet (Nott'm) site earlier and each time I tried to access the hire items page I ended up back on the American site paying in dollars by the day (Now I don't know about you lot, but I think if I wanted it for July I would have to rent it now for it to get here on time, and that would cost me more than a brand new gold plated diamond studded one would................LOL

smile2

Thanks again Frank

What would you good people recommend I hire /try to buy.? Baring in mind that It's a digital SLR I have.

I had a look at the Calumet (Nott'm) site earlier and each time I tried to access the hire items page I ended up back on the American site paying in dollars by the day (Now I don't know about you lot, but I think if I wanted it for July I would have to rent it now for it to get here on time, and that would cost me more than a brand new gold plated diamond studded one would................LOL

smile2

Sigma do some pretty decent lenses Ian, my choice for plane spotting would be this one http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/de...spx?sku=1008356

Great lens Ta Frank

But I ain't got £728 squiddlies lying around

ANY OFFERS

Got it down to £454 on Ebay so

ANY OFFERS

I had a look at that snip site Mick and my AVG found two threats on there !!!

Incedentaly there are 18 people looking at this topic thread at this moment any sort of record??

Sigma 500mm f7.2 APO Canon EOS mount

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sigma-500mm-f7-2-APO...1QQcmdZViewItem

e3da_1.JPG

Current bid: £10.00

End time: 18 hours 56 mins (08-Apr-08 19:14:50 BST)

Whew!!!..... that was close - the winning bid was accepted 00:00:06 secs before the bid ended. (£51 by the way)

Talk about cutting it fine.

Guess who didn't get it?

I had to go out 15 mins before the end and was still leading on £42 and bits .there must have been a little bidding war at the end

Oh well I will start a new search tomorrow

Might be easier just to give Calumet a ring and get a rough idea of the UK prices. Not aware of anyone else in Nottingham that offers the service.

If you definitely want to buy a lens, an alternative option is to lease (like you would do with a car) and for a fee you retain the equipment at the end of the contract; that payment option is available from Purdy's - http://www.ajpurdy.co.uk

Thanks Zab

I don't really want to buy at this moment (I'm skint) A rental for the day is what I really need

• 2 months later...

Well I learnt a hard lesson today. I found the perfect lens that I wanted on ebay and it was up for "Buy it now" £35 (It had just been put on)I thought I'd try a bit less and bid £25 (Unknown to me that when an offer is made on that kind of auction it suddenly becomes an open auction) It is now at £90 ,if only I had known I would have bought it straight away!!!!! Oh well every day's a school day

Got messen a guddun , courtesy of ebay (As long as it arrives ok etc) £49 including postage. Thats less than 1/4 the cost of hiring one believe it or not!!

Thanks to all for help and advice

It arrived about 3/4 of an hour ago an I had a quick play results as follows

Normal lens (18-55mm) zoomed out

testlens001.jpg

Normal lens zoomed in

testlens002.jpg

New lens (70-300mm) zoomed out

testlens003.jpg

New lens zoomed in

testlens004.jpg

As you can see ,a bit of difference!!

Fully extended

testlens012.jpg

retractacted

testlens015.jpg

Sorry if I sound like a bit of a braggart but I am well impressed with it. Once again thanks all for your advice.. !clapping!

I would hope beefy mate that those tablets on the work surface aren't in anyway prescription tablets, would hate it if one of your young ones got their hands on them.............the results of the test images look impressive mate, you surely did get a bargain.....nice one.

Bip.

The pic is a bit deseptive, to get to them Charlotte would have stand on a stool (But she knows better) and Adam would have to get a step ladder and then arm extentions to reach across the work surface. (They are actually multi vitamins and cod liver oil capsules the prescribed drugs are well out of reach in the cupboard)

But thanks for the reminder.