Interesting, I've just been looking on Google Earth and can't find the place, having said that, there is a mysterious area of undeveloped ground in the middle of a housing estate which I estimate where this bunker was situated, the last time I went up Western Boulevard, the communications mast was still there.

Another interesting bunker that I investigated, many years ago, was at Watnall.

This one was situated in a railway cutting next to the old bread factory, it had a series of derelict interconnecting buildings and had entrances via 2 steel doors that had been welded shut.

About 45 years ago, we mounted an expedition which involved crawling down a horizontal airshaft.

We got into the place through the air con unit, dangerous thing to do, but when you are kids, what the heck.

It was amazing inside and still contained a large map table of Europe, situated in a large internal hall with galleries around it.

We found all sorts of documents marked top secret, mainly about 1950's aircraft movements, we left it as it was and didn't touch anything and never went back.

Does this place still exist, or has it been bulldozed over and obliterated. I'm aware that it was used as a protected ops room for the 'Big Wings' during the Battle of Britain, does anyone have any info as to it's current status and condition.

where abouts on western boulevard is this bunker? i know there used to be a fairly big air raid shelter in the council roadstone dump (now a fairground people winter quarters and nature walk) but this was just a big concrete chamber with a flight of steps leading down into it.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is my first attempt at writing anything on this site, so I may well be doing it wrong! I found the site a couple of nights ago and spotted a few references to the old underground RAF bunker at

I have to do a quick correction to my earlier posting - the TV programme about the RAF bunker at Watnall has been put back one week, to Wednesday February 12, 8.00pm on Channel Four. Sorry about that

Didn't ExWatnallblokeGerry do well last night on the TV? The challenge that couple have taken on is immense. Hope Channel 4 go back when they've finished it.

Phil the big bunker mentioned is in the Chalfont Drive Gov buildings, where you used to take driving tests, the Group 12 RAF control bunker built in the cutting of former Midland railway at Watnall is still there, (recent drugs raid there as dope was being grown in it) you can get to such off common lane or via little lane towards the bakery, Have (of course) been down the shelter in the showman's winter quarters, another shelter was on corner of nottm rd and lortas rd, main building still there behind car sales dept, in 1950's it was a mushroom farm owned by a mad pole!

• Upvote 1
  • 9 months later...

Fascinating. I've always been intrigued by these war bunkers where the ruling classes would dive for safety, whilst the plebs were left outside to fend for themselves. And it makes you wonder how much money was spent on fitting it all out and equipping it

How long has that place been abandoned? Some of the stuff lying around appears to be perhaps 70s/80s.

Completely useless now because the technology might've been state-of-the-art back then, but it would be stone age now.

• 9 months later...

Re; the Watnall Bunker. I did my N.S At R.A.F. Watnall - employed as a teleprinter op - Tape/relay op. there were 2 bunkers at Wtnall - the one down the Rd. from the camp - just above a bakery called Blanchards (where I did a few shifts - moonlighting, as did a few other RAF Bods 30 bob a night)) the bunker was reached from an unmade track off the main rd. you wouldnt know it was there - First time I went down from the rusty iron door built into a sort of brick porch - then at bottom of the stairs was another iron "AIR LOCK DOOR" - i THINK IT WAS IN CASE OF A GAS ATTACK -But they were never locked as we ere on 24 hour working is shifts - as u walked on the corridor it gradually emerged into daylight in a disused railway cutting - -and suddenly there I was in the midst of dozens of Teleprinters and tape m/chines - transmitters and receivers = clattering away -all interconnected to scores of raf stations = The other bunker was further up the rd. right opposite the main gate to the "domestic" side of the camp its entranc was concealed by a row of huts that were offices etc - and suddenley at the end of the long corridor was a flight of stairs going down to another operations centre , that was mainly for air traffic controll - and dozens of more teleprinters clacking away - and also a plotting room/gallery with contacts to pilots etc - it was quite a set-up. I spent 18 months there till demob in Jan 59 and quite enjoyed it really, It was a very relaxed place to do your N.Service.

I would love to see any photos of it - but not many cameras about in those days - = more later if you want -cheers Tom

THANKS Beefcake for your advice - I'm still trying to find my way round this system - but, bit by bit.... Have been able to access some info about raf Watnall and the bunkers I worked down on my stay there in the late 50s - I am still hungry for a bit more - Cheers

No worries mate (It's Beefsteak by the way !!)

Incidentally we have "Aviation days" where we go out to Linncolnshire and have a tour of the bases, if you want to come on the next one.

Have a search through the archives for aviation.

• Upvote 1

I take it that "row of huts" (and 2nd bunker) was inside the base "opposite the main gate"? did you ever go in The Royal Oak? there was (still is?) what I'm told was a RAF hut in their back yard, in 1960's this was a disco/music venue, my stepfather was based at RAF Watnall post war but no idea of exact year

• Upvote 1

They had all sorts of things hanging from the ceiling upstairs. I recall cycling to the Watnall bunker one evening and trying to get a pint in there when I was 15, the landlord chucked me out, my mate ordered while I hid in the toilet, he soon found me and knew I was clearly not old enough to drink legally, that was life, fair enough.

• Upvote 1

ATTN Beefsteak - Mega-nostalgian - and advanced member - = - I remember the ROYAL OAK pub very well - although the lads at the base seemed to only frequent the -CONVERTED billett at the back of the pub - it was all done out in rustic furniture - made out of tree branches - may be thats why they called it The Log Cabin ? at the weekends there was nearly always an artist on - mostly on the Piano. I had my De-Mob party there on the 23 Jan 1959 so.- I am going back a bit. Just above the pub there was a little shop - handy for stamps and razor blades 3d each etc..

Just a few yards further up there was a L- turn into the camp - the Guard-room was oa rise to the Right. - Going round to the Left the first building (in wood, like all the rest of the billets) was the armoury - its busiest day was 11th Nov - and the AREA OFFICER Annual visit - dishing Rifles out for the parade (no firing pins in them) - then behind that was the Medical quarter = up to the right of that were billetts and the Naafi - at the other side of the camp, above the Guard-Room were more billets and N.C.O Huts, quite a few of them were empty when I was there - I think the place was winding down.

coming out of the gate, and immediately accross the road was the gate to the business side of the camp - with the RAF Flag situated on the left - going straight forward for about a 100yds was a long row of huts (OFFICES) all connected together with a corridor- so, inside you could turn right and walk right to the end - about 100 YDS and you came to the long staircase that went down to the ops centre - it always smelt of stale air as you went in - then it wore off. - there was a plotting room and a gallery , and down a bit further was all the teleprinters and receivers - Auto transmitters and office etc.

Back up to the gate again, (same side of Rd.) there were equipment stores and the Meteorogical centre - staffed by civilians but Raf personnel on the teleprinters. The call sign for Watnall Air Traffic Control Centre was MWXX (Mike Whiskey Ex-ray Ex-ray) - i WOULD LOVE TO SEE ANY PHOTOS of the site as it was in its Raf days = but I suppose that a long shot - Thanks all of you for your responses - Any more?

• Upvote 1
  • 11 months later...

Re; the Watnall Bunker. I did my N.S At R.A.F. Watnall - employed as a teleprinter op - Tape/relay op. there were 2 bunkers at Wtnall - the one down the Rd. from the camp - just above a bakery called Blanchards (where I did a few shifts - moonlighting, as did a few other RAF Bods 30 bob a night)) the bunker was reached from an unmade track off the main rd. you wouldnt know it was there - First time I went down from the rusty iron door built into a sort of brick porch - then at bottom of the stairs was another iron "AIR LOCK DOOR" - i THINK IT WAS IN CASE OF A GAS ATTACK -But they were never locked as we ere on 24 hour working is shifts - as u walked on the corridor it gradually emerged into daylight in a disused railway cutting - -and suddenly there I was in the midst of dozens of Teleprinters and tape m/chines - transmitters and receivers = clattering away -all interconnected to scores of raf stations = The other bunker was further up the rd. right opposite the main gate to the "domestic" side of the camp its entranc was concealed by a row of huts that were offices etc - and suddenley at the end of the long corridor was a flight of stairs going down to another operations centre , that was mainly for air traffic controll - and dozens of more teleprinters clacking away - and also a plotting room/gallery with contacts to pilots etc - it was quite a set-up. I spent 18 months there till demob in Jan 59 and quite enjoyed it really, It was a very relaxed place to do your N.Service.

I would love to see any photos of it - but not many cameras about in those days - = more later if you want -cheers Tom

Came across your post while browsing, found it interesting as I was also at R.A.F.Watnall on attachment from R.A.F.Bushy Park ( H.Q.T.C.) back in 1949. I was only at Watnall for a month and worked in the bunker as a Teleprinter/Tape Relay Op. Our accommodation was on the main site up the road in a Nissen Hut. I volunteered for the attachment as I lived in Nottingham and thought I would get home a lot which I did, Five of us came from Bushy to Watnall three Nottingham lads and a couple of bods from Leicester. Remember when we were on night bind we were always issued tins of pilchards for a meal and remember going to the chip shop in Kimberley for fish and chips when on evening shift. We used to burn old Murray code tapes and message forms in the railway cutting.

Dennis.

The post from Ashley (#35) brought back memories of my visits to the Log Cabin in the 60's. skypilot mentions the 'rustic furniture' made out of tree branches (#37) but, apart from the stage being opposite to the entrance door, I can't remember the interior. I saw a few groups play and also Barry St. Ives who is mentioned on other topics on Nottstalgia. It was a popular place in those days.

• 2 weeks later...

With regards to bunkers on the ring road, I think there is some misunderstanding as there were actually two.

The large one Chalfont Drive off Western Blvd and a smaller one behind the Five Ways pub on Valley Road, I think this is the one Firbeck is refering to.

This was the Civil Defence underground shelter and the area around was the rescue training area. Those of you that can remember that place in the 60s will recall all those half demolished house's behind the pub only they weren't. They were purpose built that way for training exercise's.

The underground bunker was fairly extensive as it was meant to be the control room for all civilian emergency services in the event of an attack.

Another bunker was built under the new Royal Mail sorting office on Bath street but this was never commissioned and eventually became the indoor range for the Post Office shooting club.

Colin

On the subject of the Civil Defence, I heard a few years ago when Kingswell School Arnold was about to be demolished for a housing development that the big tower on the building was built for Civil Defence to issue early warning of attack, during the Cold War. Sounds a bit far fetched to me but at the time the school was built, in the early 50s the country was I suppose under threat?