Hi Lizzie,

I don't know about that, but there were warning systems in place during that time period. The Civil Defence bunker behind the Five Ways had direct connections to the early warning stations and the ability to then activate the sirens.

This was supposed to give you four minutes warning of an impending attack, so that you could retreat to your home made shelter. Constructed from doors laid at an angle against an internal wall then covered with pillows etc for extra protection.

Best advice I was given was to take up the airline crash position with your head between your knees. It didn't improve your chances of survival but it made it a whole lot easier to.....................................kiss your arris goodbye. no2

Colin

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is my first attempt at writing anything on this site, so I may well be doing it wrong! I found the site a couple of nights ago and spotted a few references to the old underground RAF bunker at

I have to do a quick correction to my earlier posting - the TV programme about the RAF bunker at Watnall has been put back one week, to Wednesday February 12, 8.00pm on Channel Four. Sorry about that

Didn't ExWatnallblokeGerry do well last night on the TV? The challenge that couple have taken on is immense. Hope Channel 4 go back when they've finished it.

re Sherwood bus depot, early warning as in "The Bomb" era or WW2 days? when you think about it surely it was the cities and towns (as in Derby, Newark Melton etc locally ) that were only covered by air raid sirens in the latter? might be wrong but would likes of Radcliffe, Bingham? to say nothing of for example Woodborough, Calverton etc have had sirens? sorry if straying off topic but did read at least in early days of the war NCT buses were parked overnight on the roads of The Forest (goose fair site)

I remember the early warning systems in Police Stations.

I did do tests on one installed in Nottingham.

wb400front.jpg

This was called

HANDEL the UK Public Nuclear Attack Warning System

See

http://www.ringbell.co.uk/ukwmo/Page212.htm

WarnCard1.jpg

And if things went pear shaped!

WarnCard23.jpg

On B.T. or post office telephones as it was then we were still fitting and maintaining W.B. 400 early warning systems in telephone exchanges in the 60's.

Dennis

does anyone remember an air raid siren on top of a pole outside the ex police station in bulwell? i always thought it was there from the second world war, but from reading above its more likely it was part of the handel system.

of course if it was ever sounded i doubt anyone would know what it was, because wasn't all that information, and protect and survive stuff classified?

Ashley, I know it sounds daft but I'm pretty sure there was one on a large pole attatched to the lock keepers lodge at Radcliffe weir ! I can remember me and my mate talking about it when we were fishing down there once.

It was probably placed there as it would carry along the Trent to the surounding areas,

• 4 weeks later...

I took a customer to the site of Watnall bunker today, it is being converted into a house and a guest house, the lady was part of a film crew, they are making a programme about the conversion, she said it will be shown in January 2014.

I looked on Broxtowe council website and found the planning application.

http://planning.broxtowe.gov.uk/(S(juabxki2hgmmh1yfsudo4a45))/ApplicationHistorySummary.aspx?RefVal=11/00787

• Upvote 1

Grand Designs?

Let's hope not, that salubrious, patronising git Kevin McCloud has me reaching for the channel change button every time, hopefully it will be 'Restoration Man' George Clarke, he actually knows what he's talking about, is truthful about Planning and Building Control matters and not frightened to get his hands mucky.

Back on topic, the former Civil Defence bunker behind the 5 Ways Pub on Valley Road has had a large house built on top of it, you can see it on Google Earth situated at the top left hand end of Larwood Grove. Apparently the former bunker is an underground games room but retains some of it's original features such as maps and possibly the generator unit.

I like what's being done to the Watnall bunker, not much of a view for the bed and breakfast guests though, that cutting is pretty dark and damp, it was flooded the last time I was there.

• 3 months later...

Very interesting - I spent about 12 month down there from june 57 - I put some info one the midlands Heritage site about a year agon = and a lady contacted me who makes documentaries for Ch.4 - I passed her some info about it - (I think I put me email address on there) - so, Taxi Ray, if You go there again - please post on here or M.H. site - Thanks - SKYPILOT,

I took a customer to the site of Watnall bunker today, it is being converted into a house and a guest house, the lady was part of a film crew, they are making a programme about the conversion, she said it will be shown in January 2014.

I looked on Broxtowe council website and found the planning application.

http://planning.broxtowe.gov.uk/(S(juabxki2hgmmh1yfsudo4a45))/ApplicationHistorySummary.aspx?RefVal=11/00787

Is it viewable on google earth? I cant seem to find the bunker (im guessing its hidden) as bunkers would be?? :)

• 7 months later...

This is my first attempt at writing anything on this site, so I may well be doing it wrong! I found the site a couple of nights ago and spotted a few references to the old underground RAF bunker at Watnall. Great - 'cos I was a National Serviceman there (what was called a 'fighter plotter') in 1952 and '53. I'd never heard of Watnall before I was sent there, but it's remained a part of my life ever since . . . because I married a girl from Kimberley!

The bunker is now being turned into a guest house. Thousands of tons of soil have been removed and much of the old subterrannean building is now visible. And here's a newsflash! . . . . . The project is on Channel Four on Wednesday February 5, at 8.00pm, in the 'Restoration Man' series presented by George Clarke. Not only that, but I'm in it too! I seem to be the only bloke they could find who used to work down there, and I spent an afternoon with the TV crew a few months ago, reliving my time down there. Just thought I'd tell you, as I noticed that quite a few Nottstalgia members had spoken about bunkers and the old days. All the best to everyone.

• Upvote 7

When we lived in Oman I met the parents of a friend who had both been stationed at Watnall with the RAF during the war. That is where they met. What made it an amazing coincidence was that I had been brought up in Watnall and they actually came from Glasgow.

Welcome mate. Have fun. As you might have read on another thread, my friend and I found our way down there by wrongful means just after it had been mothballed. We were absolutely terrified. Maybe our names are on a MOD hitlist.