• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is my first attempt at writing anything on this site, so I may well be doing it wrong! I found the site a couple of nights ago and spotted a few references to the old underground RAF bunker at

I have to do a quick correction to my earlier posting - the TV programme about the RAF bunker at Watnall has been put back one week, to Wednesday February 12, 8.00pm on Channel Four. Sorry about that

Didn't ExWatnallblokeGerry do well last night on the TV? The challenge that couple have taken on is immense. Hope Channel 4 go back when they've finished it.

• 4 months later...

Wasn't the whole of the underneath of the County Hall converted to a bunker ?

I worked on it in the mid sixties and was told it was being tranferred into a radiation fall-out shelter, or some such item.

It was bloody hard work for me as a labourer,,,,, as we couldn't use a concrete mixer there & I had to mix everything by hand,,, the whole of the floor screeded in semi-dry mix !

Made me fit enough at the time,,,, tho' now knackered with a slipped disc/trapped nerve etc etc. still,,,, as long as I did my bit for the big knobs,,,,

Dunno about 'County Hall' having one but under the Council House is deep and hollow. (With car parking and lifts etc )

Discussed elsewere on here

My late Uncle Harold spent most of his working life in the fire brigade, including in the war. He was also a member of the Civil Defence organisation.

During the 60's, he was put into a very nice house at the side of Western Boulevard, near to the City Hospital.

In the grounds was the control bunker for the services defence of Nottingham.

He was responsible for keeping the place up and running and ready to go under all circumstances.

Once, he took me down there, it was a very chilling experience.

Having negotiated the steel blast doors and switching on the life support engines, I was amazed to stand in this room full of red and green telephones, all ready to go, and a giant map of Nottingham showing all the expected damage from a nuclear attack, it was obviously classified information, but, as a schoolkid, I wasn't about to tell the Russians, it wouldn't have mattered a jot to them anyway.

I always wondered whether during the day of days the family would have got precedence and take the place over, there was no way through those steel doors, we could be emerging now and ruling the earth, sick of MoD tinned porridge, surveying the ruined, contaminated world with horror, but being slightly insane and looking for a challenge.

How very interesting...the projected damage map would have been worth seeing.

The 60's was also the decade when such a facility was most likely to be used - Cuba standoff etc.

Reckon the bunker 'guest list' would have been interesting...local councillors, jobsworths and monied Tories - might have been a few vacancies for Civil Defence folk too...but no working class rough types, thank you!

Cheers

Robt P.

Reckon the bunker 'guest list' would have been interesting...local councillors, jobsworths and monied Tories - might have been a few vacancies for Civil Defence folk too...but no working class rough types, thank you!

Cheers

Robt P.

Betcha life there would be 1 plumber 1 electrician etc. Just in case the 'Dignitaries' blocked a toilet or blew a fuse.

Paul.

These civil defence bunkers are small , holding only enough beds supplies etc for 5 or 6 people. (Sometimes more sometimes less,) but the usual 'compliment' was 4/5 The proper bunkers for dignitries are situated as mentioned elsewhere.

There is a very interesting 'Layer' on 'Google Earth' that shows where all items of civil defence are/ where sited, pill boxes machine gun emplacements bunkers etc (And believe me there are hundreds and hundreds of them!!!!!)

Sorry pal, but this bunker wasn't small, it's big and still there.

It was well organised and capable of taking in a hell of a lot of people, what is still down there, I don't know, I wouldn't be surprised if it was still up and running.

I can't find this one on my "special layer" on 'Google earth' either. So it could still be in use (And a very important one too!!) SSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!.........LOL

Interesting, I've just been looking on Google Earth and can't find the place, having said that, there is a mysterious area of undeveloped ground in the middle of a housing estate which I estimate where this bunker was situated, the last time I went up Western Boulevard, the communications mast was still there.

Another interesting bunker that I investigated, many years ago, was at Watnall.

This one was situated in a railway cutting next to the old bread factory, it had a series of derelict interconnecting buildings and had entrances via 2 steel doors that had been welded shut.

About 45 years ago, we mounted an expedition which involved crawling down a horizontal airshaft.

We got into the place through the air con unit, dangerous thing to do, but when you are kids, what the heck.

It was amazing inside and still contained a large map table of Europe, situated in a large internal hall with galleries around it.

We found all sorts of documents marked top secret, mainly about 1950's aircraft movements, we left it as it was and didn't touch anything and never went back.

Does this place still exist, or has it been bulldozed over and obliterated. I'm aware that it was used as a protected ops room for the 'Big Wings' during the Battle of Britain, does anyone have any info as to it's current status and condition.

• 2 weeks later...

The Watnall Bunker is still there, actually it was 12 Group HQ in Battle of Britain for the defence of the midlands, when the tide turned in that battle and it became obvious the germans could not attack there it's squadrons were diverted to the south in the "big wing" idea led by Douglas Bader the cutting it's built in was the midland railway line from bulwell to kimberley, you can get to the bunker off common lane or a road towards the bakery

I remember being very young , going up the side of Watnall bakery to visit that bunker (I have no recollection who I was with or why we went,) I just remember seeing the bakery and remember the advertising slogan for Wonderloaf at the time "Nice one" aimed at Cyril from High Wycombe from the bloke with glasses who was from Nottingham (Watnall bakery)

"Nice one Cyril" was later pinched by " The Cockeral Chorus" for their hit record celebrating the career of Cyril Knowles

"Nice one Cyril" was later pinched by " The Cockerel Chorus" for their hit record celebrating the career of Cyril Knowles

And pinched later still by the Magpies in exhultation of Jimmy Sirrell, probably for avoiding having to apply for re-election to the league!

I thought we had that problem a little earlier ,Cockerel chorus was 73 so it could have been used to praise one of out promotions under 'GOD'

There is a very interesting 'Layer' on 'Google Earth' that shows where all items of civil defence are/ where sited, pill boxes machine gun emplacements bunkers etc (And believe me there are hundreds and hundreds of them!!!!!)

Hiya BS: I cant seem to find the layer that you refer to,,,, any help please ?

Talking of size (!?) the thing that we were building under the County Hall,,,, is massive. I thought it was the entire size of the C.H,,, but I now think that most of it is under the car-park,,,, but was accessed (by us builders at the time) via some windows below a small wall in a corner of CH & car-park.

There used to be a wrought iron gate across a wooden door on Mansfield Road - just about opposite the Forest entrance. Just inside the gate, there were a few steps leading down to the door. This was usually filled up with leaves & litter etc. It was in the grounds of a large private house of some sort.

My mate & I were looking into a few of these underground passages (more later) so we went to ask permission to go down there,,,, which was readily granted, tho’ the lady did say that she didn’t know what it was, and that it went ‘nowhere’.

Inside it was quite big,,,,, but all the passages had been bricked up. She said that we could take a few bricks out of each wall (about 5 of them if my memory is correct) I think she was as interested as we were. Unfortunately – it didn’t get done,,,, or certainly not by me – but I always did wonder what it was & where it went.

I know that you old ‘uns will have seen this gate, as it was about 5ft square and was just at the side of the pavement.

I have just looked at Google Earth, but it looks like both the house & entrance have since vanished,,,,,

Does anyone know where this did lead to in it’s day ?

We have quite a long thread on here regarding this 'Hole ', a lot of photos too!!

As for the layer on Google Earth I don't know where I found it either (I want to switch it off!!) I think I found it through a post about crop circles (I'll go and have allok and get back to you)

County got promoted in 72/73 so it could have been liberated then!!

That layer has dissapeared !!! I have just got a lot of photos where I used to have yellow dots.

Along with that layer there was one that showed where all disused railways were, and that has gane too.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

EXCLUSIVE: Cannabis farm in Watnall WWII bunker

Watnall drugs bust factory is 'largest in years' say police

TIP-OFF: Police raided the bunker after a tip off from the public.

07 May 2010

By Laura Rands

A CANNABIS farm has been found in a World War Two bunker in Watnall – with police saying it is the biggest they have discovered in years.

Eight officers cut their way through the steel doors in the early hours of yesterday (Thursday) morning after a tip off from a member of the public and discovered plants in two large rooms

The huge underground bunker, which was used as a command centre during the war, is down a track opposite the junction for Common Lane.

The front doors are visible off the track, but the 12ft concrete roof is covered over by woodland

Kimberley and Watnall beat manager, Pc Paul Toon, said: "I've never seen anything like it. It's a large quantity and the biggest grow we have found on the Broxtowe north division for several years.

"It's a big complex with a lot of rooms inside.

"Obviously there are only a few of these bunkers left in the country and most have been filled in or taken apart."

Scenes of crime officers were called out and the lights and equipment used to grow the drugs were taken apart and demolished.

The bunker was used by several community groups, including a gun club.

Police officers used to regularly visit the bunker when it was open to the public, but it has since been locked up.

Pc Toon would not say how many plants were found, how much they were worth, or what officers used to cut their way into the bunker.

No arrests had been made when Advertiser went to press, but police said they had 'lines of inquiry.'

Anybody with any information should call police on 0300 300 9999 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

NOW THATS WHY THE BIG PADLOCK

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

I've spoken to the investigating officer regarding that bunker, was trying to get the owner to grant access to look around...no such luck .

Anyway back to the subject of the Nottingham 'war room' on Chalfont drive, ive been trying to gain access from the council to look around and they have been very helpfull in providing me with documents, put me in touch with land registry / developers etc...

I've been given this link which is a whole proposal for the nottingham war room

http://plan4.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/WAM/doc/Application%20Form-790186.pdf;jsessionid=4922570889F7D494A86AA6E8AFDB027A?extension=.pdf&wmTransparency=0&id=790186&wmLocation=0&location=VOLUME6&contentType=application/pdf&wmName=&pageCount=53

Its a 13mb PDF so takes some time to open, but WELL worth the wait !

Cheers,

Shaun