Who was the Lord Mayor in 1966??? He was a friend of the family of a girlfriend I went out with in 1966, he had his own Rolls Royce, but of a poofter too from what I was told, hence my reluctance at 19 years of age to accept his offers of a lift!

Who was the Lord Mayor in 1966??? He was a friend of the family of a girlfriend I went out with in 1966, he had his own Rolls Royce, but of a poofter too from what I was told, hence my reluctance at 19 years of age to accept his offers of a lift!

Just wonderin` which of these two is gonner sue, Ayup!

Frank Wootton; 1965/66 Ald William Derbyshire; 1966/67

I think it was Bill Derbyshire Stan. The girlfriends Mother warned me about him, that was good enough for me, but I'd have loved a ride in a Roller though!

Derbyshire certainly ran a Roller... and a colostomy bag too, which he wasn't averse to putting on show!

IIRC, there was much objection when Blenheim school became named after him...primarily due to his odd lifestyle.

BTW: Does any other City habitually name its schools after local councillors? I know of no other...

Cheers

Robt P.

I don't think there's much more to add, after all, this is a family site. !laughing!

I remember Ald Derbyshire breaking the bell that they ring to open Goose Fair

smile2

One of our local schools is named Verdin high school that is named after a local family of philanthropists who owned a lot of the salt mines in the local, they paid for hospitals, schools etc. At least one of the family was a councilor but wether the school was named after his council activities or other works I can't tell you

...One of our local schools is named Verdin high school that is named after a local family of philanthropists who owned a lot of the salt mines in the local, they paid for hospitals, schools etc. At least one of the family was a councilor but wether the school was named after his council activities or other works I can't tell you...

Fair bet that the name was bestowed in respect of their philanthropy - especially as salt mining was a major source of employment - which, IMO, is more than acceptable.

Perhaps our John Player/Jesse Boot/Dame Agnes Mellors school's could have been named after genuine non-politicians...whereas Mundella/William Crane/Glenn Bott/Ald Wm Derbyshire etc, were definetly political...

Cheers

Robt P.

My old school Now called "The Wheldon School" was named after a councilor too, "Frank Wheldon"

• 8 years later...

Go on, giz a clue! What has the old General Hospital got to do with Lord Mayors looking like pirates who once worked at the coop?

• Upvote 2

#12. The woman on the left is saying to the other woman - "Lord yes, I remember so-and-so, she was a right mare".

• Upvote 1

Isn't that the old General Hospital...named after a General....LOL

I worked a few years ago at a pensioners day center opposite Asda in Hyson Green... one of the members was the first black mayor in Nottingham (hope i'm allowed to say that without being politically incorrect?) Des Wilson his name was.. he was the sweetest guy you would wish to meet. . a real pleasure to know him. he told me about a cafe in Radford he invested in called Des Res among other topics . . great person to converse with..not to play dominoes with though. . he was way too good for the likes of me haha

• Upvote 1