Things that annoy you

Shop assistants you say?

\snip\, rather than look in the stockroom, they tell you..

"they only have what is on display".

When I worked for a while at Miller Bros. when it first opened I introduced a card system so that the assistants had only to glance at the card index to know how many were in stock. Promble was that the shop assistants would sometimes forget to remove the card after a sale and the next person would be phoning through to ask for something we didn't have.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before I turn in for bed I will find the end to this Sellotape,

Unfortunately different councils have different rules for recycling. All my cardboard and paper goes into my compost at home or the allotment. Recyclable plastics go in the council bin and “soft plast

Its nearly as bad as "It's a Small World" at Disney! WARNING, ride at your own risk, once the ride has started you cant get off for ten minutes and fifty three seconds! Dont say I dint warn yer! P

Posted Images

I didn't mention this in my top 20 hates because it doesn't really affect folk in Notts. WINDFARMS. Where I live everyone with a piece of land has jumped onto the bandwaggon of easy money from the massive subsidies to be had from windfarms. Rent your land to the developer and hey presto! sit back and watch the millions (literally) come rolling in. Who pays for this? You and me with green tariffs on the electric bills. "But it saves carbon emissions" I hear you say - no it doesn't. Every megawatt of wind energy has to be backed up by a megawatt of fossil fuel energy. What it does very nicely is make a huge visual impact on the landscape making us think that something useful is being done - when all the while it is about making vast amounts of money from we the payers. My little county is becoming like a giant's pin cushion with these monsters as they hack down carbon sink forests and replace them with moneymakers and around 600 are in the process of development onshore and now to cap it all another 270 are going into the sea just offshore on our best bit of scenic coastline........Rant over.

But will they dismantle them? and what about the half acre of 30ft deep concrete that sits beneath each one? BTW Who's GK?

Its nearly as bad as "It's a Small World" at Disney!

WARNING, ride at your own risk, once the ride has started you cant get off for ten minutes and

fifty three seconds!

Dont say I dint warn yer! Plug yer tabs!

I managed 53 seconds !!

• Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...
  • 6 years later...

Looking at that photo reminded me of my relative, Emily Ward,who lived in Garden Street . As a young woman, before her marriage in 1918...and perhaps afterwards,, as she had no children... she was employed doing something called chevening on ladies' stockings.  As a child, I remember her talking about it frequently but never knew precisely what it was.   I assumed it was something to do with finishing the tops of the stockings but I was wrong. Chevening was putting embroidery onto the stockings which required a high level of skill and an ability to work quickly.  Emily was indeed a very skilled embroiderer, amongst other needlecrafts, and she was able to do the work at home. Working from home is nothing new!  Chevening goes back to Tudor times and earlier, when only the wealthiest ladies had embroidery on their stockings.

1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

See the source imageWhat is the point of these?.........

They are called “ fantasmini” because you hardly see them wearing trainers. They are to stop sweaty feet if you don’t want to wear socks.

• Like 1

@denshaw  I agree about British Gas!  4 days ago, Paul had tried to log on because the smart meter was showing that we were only using around 30p each day when we’d been using all the usual appliances and he wanted to report it.  He was unable to log in to the account so he phoned the help line.   He was on the phone to them for 15 minutes to tell them our smart meter was faulty but the lady couldn’t find our account!  
Well, we’ve been paying every month so I wonder where that’s been going…

The lady said she’d refer the problem to Head Office and they would get back to us within 24 hours.    Still waiting ….. 

forgot to say, we don’t have a gas supply but still use British Gas !!!

Groups of builders and "celebrity" chefs are lobbying for builders not to use gas appliances in new build houses.

I'm not thinking of getting a new house built but this "green panic" is getting bloody stupid. So much more could be done before this becomes a priority like properly insulating new build housing.

• 4 weeks later...

North Kesteven district council, I know they are not Nottingham but how's this for a contradiction

Left on the handle of my re-cycle bin by the bin men, "The tag of shame" apparently they emptied my bin this time but in future I must not put thin plastic or paper and cardboard in the recycle bin or else the bin will not be emptied, the funny thing about all this is The tag can't be re-cycled, funny old world innit

P1100098.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

How ridiculous not allowing paper/cardboard in your recycle bin!  Our bin was ‘condemned’ a few years ago when a visitor put polystyrene in our bin but what’s the issue with paper?   
Whilst on the subject of bins, last week Mapperley Park was given ‘AN EXTRA’ garden bin collection for leaves only.  The garden bin collection ends in mid October and re-starts in the Spring.  The majority of street tree leaves don’t finish falling until beginning of December so we have to beg for this extra collection every year.  Well last week the bin men emptied just a few and then decided the leaves were frozen so they couldn’t continue.  There are full garden bins still out on the pavements all over the neighbourhood, should we leave them til April, nobody has heard anymore! 

Unfortunately different councils have different rules for recycling. All my cardboard and paper goes into my compost at home or the allotment. Recyclable plastics go in the council bin and “soft plastics” like crisp and biscuits wrappers and the top film from packaged meat/fish go to the soft plastics hoppers at the supermarkets.

I do get annoyed when packaging says “not yet recyclable but we’re working on it” Bit of a scapegoat comment as they have to put something legally but they’re probably not working on it at all. 
We’re currently saving 2L pop bottles for a local community project who are using them to construct a greenhouse from them so there are other schemes going on too. It is a mind boggling subject there is no doubt folks.

• Like 2

We have three bins, a general waste bin (includes soft plastics) as there is no local recycling facility for soft plastics and other household waste. A recycling bin for cardboard, all paper, bottles and containers that do not have a deposit and other rigid plastics. A green waste bin for lawn clippings, leaves, weeds, small prunings and vegetable food scraps.

Most  houses have somewere for containers that have a deposit on them. Beer bottles/cans soft drink bottles, cardboard drinks containers. Strangely wine bottles do not have a deposit nor do plastic milk bottles. The deposit is only 10 cents and could do with being increased but it does have the effect of reducing the litter on the roadsides. There are many local bottle banks where you can get your 10 cents back or donate them to a charity.

• 2 weeks later...

We have 2 bins, one for paper and one for plastic collected every two weeks. Un recyclable bags collected every week and kitchen waste in the compost bin if you have one and live in the country. Our kitchen waste goes to my daughters restaurant into their bin. Other rubbish such as leaves can go as kitchen waste or to the tip if there’s too much.