greeting from California

Sketchleyman here, in sunny Sacramento, Arnietown.

Nottm native, clifton/wilford/beckett school.

If anyone went to Katie's in Beeston or The Sandpiper in the Lace Mkt,

in '76/'77,I was spinning punk platters.

Haven't see Nottm in about a dozen or more years, but it's still in't blood.

Sketchleyman here, in sunny Sacramento, Arnietown.

Nottm native, clifton/wilford/beckett school.

If anyone went to Katie's in Beeston or The Sandpiper in the Lace Mkt,

in '76/'77,I was spinning punk platters.

Haven't see Nottm in about a dozen or more years, but it's still in't blood.

Nah then me owd ducks, used to live in the Foothill Farms area, just off Greenback Lane from 89 until we moved to Mt Aukum in the foothills of the Sierras. Now live in Missouri old chum.

Ever get to Touch of Britain??? Great plate of fish and chips!

Nah then me owd ducks, used to live in the Foothill Farms area, just off Greenback Lane from 89 until we moved to Mt Aukum in the foothills of the Sierras. Now live in Missouri old chum.

Ever get to Touch of Britain??? Great plate of fish and chips!

aye up, ayeupmeducks

know of touch of britain, but never made it out there. Best fish n chips though, has to be streets of london on j st.

especially with curry sauce!! oh and a guiness or two.

The Sandpiper, cheers for that ,I have been racking my brains for years trying to remember the name of that place. All I ever get told is The Ad Lib Club

I saw The Damned there in 1979/80 it was snowing and we had a massive snowball fight outside afterwards

aye up, ayeupmeducks

know of touch of britain, but never made it out there. Best fish n chips though, has to be streets of london on j st.

especially with curry sauce!! oh and a guiness or two.

Never went there, reason we used Touch of Britain was we shopped at Albertson's just down the road, so it was handy to have lunch and do the shopping.

John

The Sandpiper, cheers for that ,I have been racking my brains for years trying to remember the name of that place. All I ever get told is The Ad Lib Club

I saw The Damned there in 1979/80 it was snowing and we had a massive snowball fight outside afterwards

ahh The Ad Lib, that was a great club, like a rabbit warren in there, pungent aroma and heavy dub music, and who could

forget Basil, the old dear who went around with a torch telling the girls to watch their handbags!!

Sandpiper did put on some fine shows, sham69, magazine, adam and the ants, i got barred from there after me and a couple of mates picked up the cortinas' guitars and did an impromptu unannounced, and it seems unwanted jam !! Never got back in after that.

sketch

Never went there, reason we used Touch of Britain was we shopped at Albertson's just down the road, so it was handy to have lunch and do the shopping.

John

John did i read on here that you lived on farnborough rd ?? My sister went to farnborough school. we lived on the silverdale estate

'tother side of the black path, across the brooke.

sketch

ahh The Ad Lib, that was a great club, like a rabbit warren in there, pungent aroma and heavy dub music, and who could

forget Basil, the old dear who went around with a torch telling the girls to watch their handbags!!

Sandpiper did put on some fine shows, sham69, magazine, adam and the ants, i got barred from there after me and a couple of mates picked up the cortinas' guitars and did an impromptu unannounced, and it seems unwanted jam !! Never got back in after that.

sketch

Happy days eh Not forgetting the Arribba on bottle lane

John did i read on here that you lived on farnborough rd ?? My sister went to farnborough school. we lived on the silverdale estate

'tother side of the black path, across the brooke.

sketch

I was moved to Clifton Estate during the demolition of the Meadows, I did live for a short time on Farnborough Road opposite the Comprehensive, but my schooling was at Blue Bell Hill and Huntingdon Street. I think we lived in that house for about two years, then we moved up north as I got a job at a brand new mine, Cleveland Potash's Boulby Mine at Boulby in North Yorks. More like Staithes, as Staithes was almost opposite the main gates on the coast.

Welcome Sketchleyman.

Just caught up with your topic.

I am normally in Sawley, but Have left SWMBO in charge of the dogs.

I am just down the road in Sierra Madre East of Pasadena don't you know?

No problem,

Read up here and bump a few topics.

I did know a Peter Henry Sketchley from Clifton, Well not Clifton, that posh bit near the Ponderosa? Silver something?

well now that would be my dad. Sliverdale estate. He's still alive and kicking, will be 80 this year.

sketch

BlOOdy Hell.

Small World Eh?

Does he still wear an earing?

I used to work with him 80's - 90's !

If he saw my username he would know exactly who I was...

Mick.

Yes indeed, a small world. The earing !! He always told us it was so he do do the undercover work and look less suspicious !!!
Of course WE believed him !! So were you Old Bill ??
I'd left Nottm by '79, and moved up to Manchester, then London, before California. I did inherit mmy passion for photography from dad, some of the pix he bought home to show us were...... interesting!!!

sketch

I'll tell him hello when we speak.

Am workin undercover, with me tan raincoat, and earing.

I lerned from an old master!

I did mean to tell you the Fiddlers Elbow was good in the Nags the other week.

But still no sign of HP.

There is also None in Burbank Sierra Madre, Pasadena, Monrovia, Azuza...

svejk.gif

http://beerme.com/

As you can see the beer here must be bad as this guy spits it back into the GLass...!

I Like that I think I will paste it into my Blog?

• 2 months later...

Hiya Sketchleyman, I used to go to the Sandpipers club, top punk venue. I saw Adam & the Ants there as well as the Damned, Slaughter & the Dogs, The Adverts and I think the Cramps in their very early days (I know I saw them in Nottingham, in Hockley, must have been Sandpipers?)You probabley would'nt reckognise the Lace Market now, all bars and penthouse appartments. I like my Hockley, rainy, dingey and victorian. I also used to go to the Ad-Lib club and Whispers, Do you remember the old guy at the Ad-Lib club, always smartly dressed, handing out sweets??

Ha!! I too was at that gig, I remember the snow and the snowball fight. I saw the Damned there twice, the first time was very early, must have been '77(?) my memory is getting very bad. The Sandpiper was wonderful.

It may have been as early as 77 /78 I was probably too young to go in thinking about it (I'm sure Mr G,oogle could help us)

Eyup Sketchleyman Hows Henry doing?

I remember Basil, and can see his face now, though only went to Ad lib a couple of times.

I think I remember him from town.

Perhaps he went into pubs giving out Tickets?

AdLib Tickets seem to ring a bell somehow.

Wotcha Mick, our 'Enry's doing well, he wanted me to say Hi, he remembers you, mind like a steel trap that owd boy !!
He said he was going to check this forum out, so you may well hear from him yerself soon!!

Is there still a club where the AdLib was ?? It's been 10 years or more since I was back home.

Hiya Stuart....The old fella at Ad Lib was named Basil if memory serves me. He wore evening dress and would go round with a torch asking the ladies to "watch yer handbags!" Aaah for a goat curry and a dozen rum and blacks.

That's the fella!! The evening suit, how fantastic.