Not sure if i'm too young :rolleyes: or you guys are too old :( but we had a teacher at Trent Bridge Senior school who was called John Petchell, Chambers, Marciniak, & a heap of the old teachers were still there, so you may remember him, he had a deformed hand. He was a really good teacher & well liked by everyone. I wonder what happened to him??

re John Petchell..

no recollection of him prior to 63! .. was he permanent or perhaps a temp/supply teacher?

strange you mention he had a deformed hand because we had a couple of teachers who were either relief / trainee or whatever, and I remember one had a badly scarred face, and another (Mr. Caunt) had a deformed spine and walked with a stoop...

I'm wondering whether it was some kind of therapy why they attended TB, if so it was a poor choice, as in the case of Mr. Caunt, who was a mild mannered chap, he was constantly ribbed because of his demeanour and name.

I can't remember either of them being there very long though..

ilko..

Hi Ilko :D

No he was defintely permanent,he was there for all of my years at TB.

You make TB sound like a hostel for the unfortunate :( no wonder we didn't learn much, we were rehabilitating them & didn't know it ;)

Yes I remember John Petchel, I think he took Physical Education and possibly English. Wasn't he the NUT union guy too? He had finger missing on one hand. Think he was a bit of a heart throb to some of the girls?. Wasn't he pretty friendly with a female teacher?. I remember her being quite fit too :D That would be 65-68 time.

• Upvote 1

Yes Admin you are quite right regarding John Petchell all the girls loved him as he was so nice. He definatley had a "thing" going with a female teacher can't remember her name but she was very fit & the boys all loved her too!!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • 6 years later...

Saw "John Petchel" come up on our Google search stats today, which reminded me this thread still exists.

I wonder who searched it? Can only be an ex TB pupil or perhaps John himself?

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know the names of the teachers at Trent Bridge Boys Senior School during the years 1955 until 1959? I can only remember these few:

Mr. Green - Headmaster

Mr. Acklam - P.E.

Mr. Currah - French

'Pop' Williams - Music

'Piggy' Roberts - Woodwork

Mr. Walker - English

• 2 weeks later...

When I went to Trent Bridge Seniors 1963-1968, Joe Currah and Piggy Roberts were still there.

Joe Currah had an Adolph moustache.

• 6 months later...

Yes I remember John Petchel, I think he took Physical Education and possibly English. Wasn't he the NUT union guy too? He had finger missing on one hand. Think he was a bit of a heart throb to some of the girls?. Wasn't he pretty friendly with a female teacher?. I remember her being quite fit too :D That would be 65-68 time.

I remember John Petchell he took Geography and had a defromed hand .. he had a thing for a young lady teacher ... Miss Matepiece... we all called aher nice piece . Im new to this ... anyone remember Betty and Shirley Winders... Rob Perkins.... Carole Parnham.... Gillian Hargreaves(class hottie)....Sean Stevens... Phil and Dave Hotchkiss????

I remember a kid in class bashing piggy Roberts over the head with a piece of wood one time and marsiniac the metal work teacher soaking his cane in oil . he was a hard bugga

Yes I remember her she was pretty fit :)

We had a new young Science teacher took over from Cyril Chalkley.

Miss Scarborough, lived at new (then) houses but at Beeston Rylands,

Marciniak did not stand any nonsense and would use the cane regularly.

Greatly respected by all the kids of our day. He did me no harm and he and his ilk

made me what I am today... Err...

• 3 months later...

I remember a kid in class bashing piggy Roberts over the head with a piece of wood one time

Come to think of it, I now remember that Piggy Roberts had a indentation on the topside of his bald head.

I always though it looked like he had been clobbered as the indentation was in the shape of a corner

• 4 weeks later...

Ahh yes remember Mr Marciniak, he was a friend of my Dad & I thought he'd never cane me. Wrong. It flipping hurt as well. He lived in one of the terraces on Glapton Road for a while, I lived on Glapton Road itself & he used to stand at the front door yabbering to Dad for ages..

Did yer good tho Colly :)

He never caned me. He collected stamps an gave me the job of going into the main post office in Nottingham to get first day covers sorted on the day they were issued.

You will remember his method of 'oil blueing' the metal poker you had just made.

True Mick, they say a good wacking does you good. Half way through my last year at TB we moved & I had to start a new school (Beardall Street in Hucknall.) On my very last day there I pressed the emergency stop button for the circular saw in woodwork & got the cane for it, I was such a naughty Boy.:)

Piggy Roberts would have caned you for taking the second pencil line off the piece you had tried to plane down to the scribed line.

I got the cane off Piggy for splitting my project with a screwdriver, I pressed on it too hard... One day I was in assembly & as I was the smallest in the class had to stand at the front, I was gawping at a Lad further back who had a gormless look on his face, Pot Leg Bill clocked me & said "a boy over there seems to find something fascinating at the back," I knew he meant me & smirked, he launched himself at me & smacked me round the tabhole. The whole school burst out laughing, I thought I'd die of embarrassment.:)

• Upvote 1

I left TB in march 68 when I was 14 when we moved to Bestwood Village, I then had to start at Beardall St, Hucknall till July. I wanted to travel to TB but they wouldn't let me because Bestwood Village was in the county & TB was in the city. I loved it though because I was the new kid on the block & had the girls after me, till I got caught two timing, that's when the shouting & fuss started.:)..I think you must have been a year higher than me..

• 2 years later...