$4 a gallon, wow!, thats about £2 isn't it, I know that the US gallon is smaller than the UK gallon but it's still cheap when compared to UK prices - I'm waiting for the revolution!

Yep - about two quid - but to hear 'em scream you would think it was 20! Yes, the US gallon is about 20% less than an Imperial gallon - very close to four litres! However, over here they think a truck that does 17mpg is good! Needless to say, the least fuel efficient vehicle we own is my Nissan truck which does about 27mpg! I hear 'em complain, laugh and say "you could see this coming five years ago - but you still chose to buy a gas guzzler".

So now they just all drive like old f@rt$ to try to save gas - as I said, it is driving me NUTS!

Just tell 'em we are paying $12 a gallon Eric and see their faces !englandflag!

• Upvote 1
  • 6 years later...

$2.99 a gal yesterday

Over here you can overtake either side

Make a right turn on red , Sometimes a left on red if its a one way street

My truck/Suv will do 55 mph at 1100 rpm all day long.

I have a gripe! those drivers who insist on driving at twenty-five mph in a thirty zone.Why do you have a gripe with them I hear you say?Because my diesel don’t like doing twenty-five mph in fourth, I have to use third which means I’m using more precious fuel.Bip.

Being as tight as a ducks bum I am a very steady driver. When my wife drives she tends to Billy Wizz and I cringe at the deisel bill. However we found that often she was often doing better mpg than me. Sometimes an engine can use less fuel reving slightly higher in a lower gear than labouring in a high gear.

My new car has a average fuel economy and what your using at this moment readout on it and you can see this happening.

Dgbrit, here we've crept back up to $2.45 a gal, was $1.95 a few weeks ago. Wish we'd had a way of storing it at the low price.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Yet again, people who don't indicate. Those who drive at 25 in a 30 zone. People who ignorantly and selfishly push in at junctions. Those who fail to stop when I'm about to cross on a zebra crossing.  

Drivers of teeny weeny cars that look like they're rejects from a Goose Fair roundabout. 

Oh....... And Audi 'drivers',  closely followed by BMW 'drivers' . 

• Upvote 1

Ha ha you must have got behind me then Flea I love driving around at sometimes less than 25 I can see the driver behind in a rage banging the steering wheel & shouting, when they eventually try & overtake I speed up, they usally end up facing oncoming traffic, while I'm laughing my b******s off, Tw4ts 

If you're ever stateside and driving, DO NOT speed up when someone tries passing you, you could well end up with an expensive citation from a police officer, and you could well end up causing a fatal accident.

Over here people usually slow down when someone passes them, it's courteous and safer than being involved in a headon accident.

• Upvote 2

Chances are most drivers DON'T carry a gun over here, you'll find that not many people actually do carry, too much hassle, and shooting a firearm from a moving vehicle can end up with losing the right to carry by committing a felony.

But deliberately speeding up when someone is passing can end up with deadly consequences, ie getting tangled in a head on collision.

I live in a rural area where most roads are two lane highways with very few places to pass, and many times with slow moving vehicles. Deliberately speeding up when a semi is passing you will end up with the semi driver forcing you off the road.

I do my best to be courteous on the roads, I do get frustrated sometimes, but I don't get road rage, nor do I try to retaliate for stupid actions of others, I've towed a 27 foot travel trailer across this big country and traveled over 600 miles many days in heavy and light road conditions, traveled in heavy snow with white out conditions praying there's nothing in front of me and had idiots in dense fog whizz passed me while I'm doing less than 25mph.

One thing I noted on freeway driving when I towed our 27 footer across country, semis slowed right down when passing at the top of a hill, I suspected it was because of air drag. A semi driver friend told me, when they pass a long travel trailer, caravan, their trailer is sucked into the travel trailer, so they pass at just a couple of mph faster than the trailer. He advised me to "crack" a couple of drivers side windows and crack one of the roof vents to relieve the vacuum between vehicles when on the road.

Over here road rage is well known, people have been stabbed to death or half beaten to death with a wheel brace.

At my time of life I try to annoy no one, just go on my way. I certainly would not deliberately drive slowly and then speed up and I doubt RR would either.

• Upvote 1

Been out and about doing a lot of driving today, and have been amazed at the amount of HGV and LGV learner drivers there are about. Disgruntled, no way !  I know a lot are probably EU immigrants, but at least they are learning a profession.

Before anyone starts chuntering about too many trucks and lorries on the road, well just think for a minute. 

What delivers your food to the supermarket. What delivers your clothes , furniture, household goods, gardening equipment, building materials. 

• Upvote 1

Radfordred I sincerely hope you're joking, if not then my next wish would be that the next car you do it to is an unmarked police car. Such driving is stupidly dangerous.

• Upvote 1

The old saying FLY was "whatever you got, came by truck" not far out.

I sympathise anyone taking up wagon driving nowadays, how the job changed over the years is unbelievable, I'm glad i'm out & think I had the best years '70s-'90s.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...