Nottingham Cinemas and Theatres

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Could be possible, his name was Sam, everyone was after him, and he was an ace kisser. Also cheated a lot so I dumped him

My youngest brother got into to see The Exorcist when it first came although he was only about 14 at the time (it was at the time there was a lot of hoohar (? Spelling) about it with people fainting e

I've not been to the cinema in 55 years. I hear they've got talkies now!

We're talking of the station road in Carlton (It's now part of the Penticostal Church)

Firstly googling the request took me directly to the information as requested,I had no idea what the site was as I went straight to the information and did not bother to scroll back to the first page.

Secondly,I now note "Extra info: Rick Wilde – Cinema Notes in Local History Library" There would be little point in excluding this information,who is Rick Wilde? There now, that footnote is added ,Happy now?

As for "to make it seem authored by someone else."

For what purpose?

This Rick Wilde person does not seem to be a member of the Mercia Matters Commitee and apart from the totally overlooked mention as pointed out by the complainant,would not obviously appear to be the originator of the piece,only one to whom one should refer for`Extra info'.

This was a simple search for information.Apologies if missing a credit to Rick Wilde or whoever was the compiler of the list.(Which still remains unknown)

What a sad individual to make such a fuss over such a trivial matter!

Mercia Matters. Mercia Matters .Mercia Matters!!! Apologies +++++

• 7 months later...

Yes..there was a real dive of a cinema in Bulwell Market Place, by the 43 trackless terminus.

IIRC, it also doubled as a theatre specializing in static nudes, complete with varicose veins !faint!

The name eludes me...

Cheers

Robt P.

Does the name olympia ring any bells?

What's with "The Victoria 122 miles" in Stan's list? When Victoria Centre was first designed/built there was a cinema complex planned in such at side of old clock tower, not sure if ever opened? later it was Tiffany's night spot and last time I looked an opticians. Told by 2 seperate people there was a cinema on David Lane Old Basford somewhere near the still there but shut DHSS offices, others have said never! but talking of 90 years ago! nest to the social offices is (was?)Majestic Trophies now I know Majestic fits in with Trophies? but also a cinema name?

The cinema on station road in carlton was the victoria.

First of all welcome Raggy.

Not trying to be contentious here. Maybe it had a name change after my exodus from the area in the mid 60s but throughout my childhood it was definitely the Regal.

As I grew up in the 60,s there(Carlton) I can't remember it ever being open. I asked my mum and she said it was always the Regal as far as she knew!!

What's with "The Victoria 122 miles" in Stan's list? When Victoria Centre was first designed/built there was a cinema complex planned in such at side of old clock tower, not sure if ever opened? later it was Tiffany's night spot and last time I looked an opticians. Told by 2 seperate people there was a cinema on David Lane Old Basford somewhere near the still there but shut DHSS offices, others have said never! but talking of 90 years ago! nest to the social offices is (was?)Majestic Trophies now I know Majestic fits in with Trophies? but also a cinema name?

There was the victoria electric that was sited opposite nottingham victoria railway station.The vernon picture house was next to the railway crossing on david lane in old basford.

As I grew up in the 60,s there(Carlton) I can't remember it ever being open. I asked my mum and she said it was always the Regal as far as she knew!!

I was told that the cinema was originaly called the victoria when it was first opened so it had severel names as did many others.

The Vernon was across the road from the level crossing on Vernon road, I remember the building you talk of Ashley, was it next to some Methodist mission maybe the third building up from the crossing on David lane, yes I agree with you Ashley there was one there

Rog

I actually meant the "122 miles" bit, ( some other cinema,s in the list have distance in miles from nearest railway station) I aware of the Victoria cinema,(I think?) if the one I'm thinking of at one time called the Windmill and/or the Moulin Rouge? maybe the 122 was yards? (or miles from London!) Recall The Vernon being open, building is still there, the one I referred to was pre WW2 the other side of the crossings on David Lane (if it ever existed)

The Windmill is familiar from when I first came to Nottingham in around January 1963.

Was there a windmill facade. Was it later to become the Moulin Rouge?

The MR showed "Sex Films" or in those days films showing nudity

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
reading your post brings back memories of my younger days . we visited every cinema in the meadows during a week . i remember the imperial on wilford road , the grove on kirkwhite street and the globe at trent bridge

Wow what a memmory. I went to one of these when I lived in Meadows to see Guns of Navarone when it first came out in the early 60s -Kirwkwhite street sounds about right. Just cannot recall a cinema near Trent Bridge and I lived very nearby.....

• 6 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Moulin Rouge was directly facing Victoria Station? I also recall a very similar place just down from the Peacock Pub, only section opened, a news agents, always wondered what it was previously?. Wasn't there also a Hi-fi shop roughly facing the Peacock in the Early 90's? 

• Like 1