Nottingham Cinemas and Theatres

That's a comprehensive list! Some of those are new to me - amongst those I've never come across are the Little John and the Lounge Picture Theatre. Fascinating list.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Could be possible, his name was Sam, everyone was after him, and he was an ace kisser. Also cheated a lot so I dumped him

My youngest brother got into to see The Exorcist when it first came although he was only about 14 at the time (it was at the time there was a lot of hoohar (? Spelling) about it with people fainting e

I've not been to the cinema in 55 years. I hear they've got talkies now!

From my days in the Nottingham area,I remember a small,dive of a picture house called The Climax Cinema.It was somewhere off Lower Parliament Street.I never ever went there (honest!) but you don't have to use your imagination much to guess what kind of films they used to show in there.Presumably it was frequented by the dirty raincoat brigade !

From my days in the Nottingham area,I remember a small,dive of a picture house called The Climax Cinema.It was somewhere off Lower Parliament Street.I never ever went there (honest!) but you don't have to use your imagination much to guess what kind of films they used to show in there.Presumably it was frequented by the dirty raincoat brigade !

haha that's the one that used to be called The Classic before it started showing those films.

Thanks Dick.I used to chuckle at the adverts in the Nottingham Evening Post for the films being shown there.There was one called," The Man Who Couldn't Get Enough" and another one called " I'm Not Feeling Myself Tonight." I take it you were a member then ? Only joking,mate.Ha,ha.Thanks for the info.

haha that's the one that used to be called The Classic before it started showing those films.

Sorry but the Classic was on Market Street ,the Climax was on Broad street I think (One of those that end anyway)

Russ to quote someone click on quote and then on Addreply that way you only use up one post!

Sorry but the Classic was on Market Street ,the Climax was on Broad street I think (One of those that end anyway)

Russ to quote someone click on quote and then on Addreply that way you only use up one post!

I've cracked it Beefsteak ! I now know how to reply without taking up all that room ! Thanks for your conributions to my enquiries.I will try and think of some more nostalgic trivia.Cheers.

Thank you so much guys for all your help! It has been amazing! I just got to go and write the blasted thing now! 3000 words for Wednesday! Your replies will come in really useful!

Many Thanks

Eyz!

PS for Stan, if you gained that information off a website, book or any other medium could you tell me the reference for it please! Thanks!

Just a point, Whatever the origin of that comprehensive list.

Can we please give the author credit. Excellent.

Yeah,the info by Stan is superb.EYZ 017, the originator of this topic should be well on their way to a first class degree if they use that list.Incredible !

I found these on "Picture the Past"

The Ritz , Burton Road Carlton. Now demolished and a nursing home in it's place

picturehouses.jpg

The Rialto Station Road Carlton, Now part of the Penticostal Church.

picturehouses2.jpg

I found these on "Picture the Past"

The Ritz , Burton Road Carlton. Now demolished and a nursing home in it's place

picturehouses.jpg

The Rialto Station Road Carlton, Now part of the Penticostal Church.

picturehouses2.jpg

Hi Beefy

Hate to contradict but as far as I know that was never the "Rialto" in my day unless they changed the name after I left for a colder climate. Always knew it as the "REGAL." It was not particularly regal inside and I suspect they used candles for projector lamps as the picture was often quite iffy. I bet those Pentecostals have sure livened the old place up.

Now the "RITZ" that was another story. Best cinema outside of Nottingham as far as I know. Sorry it has gone. I have good memories of it. Took my new girlfriend there on our first date. She eventually became my wife.

I actually used to live just around the corner on Willow Road at that time.

Dave

I told you I can't remember the name of the place.

I can't remember whether I'm Dave or Loppylugs some days, never mind the Regal/Rialto. flyswat

They tell me it has something to do with getting older.

Some days it gets downright scary!!!!

Dave or was that Loppylugs???

• 6 months later...

I seem to remember counting all the cinemas listed in the Evenimg Post columns in the 1950'2 / 60's - the total being around 44 at that time.

But what about the system of entry? For a popular film, one would join a choice of two or more queues - one for the cheaper stall seats or another for the more expensive balcony. These were suprvised by a uniformed doorman - gold braid and all - (at such places as the Odeon or ABC), who would come along to announce that there were "two singles" or "one double" available.

You were then showed to the available seat/s by an usherrette - usually somewhere in the middle of the main feature film. Or sometimes right at the end!!

If you opted for the two singles, you would be separated from your partner and then spent time looking round to see whether two adjacent seats became available, so that you could then make a dash for them before someone else did.

And then there was the matter of deciding "is this where we came in"? Oh the joy of knowing the ending before you had seen the beginning!! (Though you could always sit through what you had already seen)

Even in my early days of cinema watching,(70s, ) I very often knew the end before the begining ,but that was because I was always late!!

Star wars , Jaws and Close Encounters of the Third Kind , being just three that fall in to this catagorie.

Incedently anybody know roughly when they stopped showing the'B' movie ?? I remember they had them with all of the above. When we went to see "Quantum of Solace" last Friday , they didn't even show any adverts!! just one trailer for some easily forgetable horror film.

Bring back to B movie! And the newsreel while we're at it. You certainly got your money's worth in the old days. AND shown to your seat and an interval where the ice cream lady came out with her tray on a strap round her neck. Now, if you are a few minutes late getting in your seat, it's like trying to find a seat in the Black Hole of Calcutta.

Here we get at least 5 mins of adverts and 10 mins of previews before the film starts. [maybe that's an exaggeration, but it's at least 6 previews] The previews tend to be the most action packed bits of the movies, so you're worn out before the feature film starts! Saw Quantum of Solace on Sunday, not as impressed with this Bond as earlier ones. For one thing, the action is all up close and personal, makes you dizzy to watch it. I think they should have quit with these movies years ago, while they were ahead. Sorry if I've hijacked the thread, just answering Beefy's comments.

I wasn't going to spoil "Quantum" for anyone (I said so in my blog), but you hit the nail on the head ,Katy, regarding the action. Hopefully it will view better on DVD.