Nottingham Cinemas and Theatres

I can remember getting into the Moulin Rouge (whilst underage) with my boyfriend to see a film about Crippen starring Donald Pleasance. It was X rated but from what I can remember a it wasn’t at all. Didn’t the Moulin become a bit “seedy” at one time?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Could be possible, his name was Sam, everyone was after him, and he was an ace kisser. Also cheated a lot so I dumped him

My youngest brother got into to see The Exorcist when it first came although he was only about 14 at the time (it was at the time there was a lot of hoohar (? Spelling) about it with people fainting e

I've not been to the cinema in 55 years. I hear they've got talkies now!

I remember going to see Easy Rider at the Byron Cinema in Hucknall. A friend from Manning wanted to see it but we were only 15 and it was X rated. We put on lots of makeup and no one queried our age.

The B feature was Vincent Price in one of the Dr Phibes films. It was very silly but my friend didn't like it and kept screaming. Told her to be quiet or she'd get us thrown out! :blink:

9 minutes ago, MargieH said:

SG, perhaps you were snogging and missed the gruesome bits of the film?

Could be possible, his name was Sam, everyone was after him, and he was an ace kisser. Also cheated a lot so I dumped him:angry2:

• Like 3

My youngest brother got into to see The Exorcist when it first came although he was only about 14 at the time (it was at the time there was a lot of hoohar (? Spelling) about it with people fainting etc. My Dad was furious and phoned the cinema manager to complain. The manager said it was not easy to assess ages and my brother was very tall and did look older than his age as did his friends. He was grounded for a while but said it was worth it!

• Like 2

I thought 'THE BLOB' was bad enough, (Seen at the Ritz). Scared the life out of me. But I took consolation and cuddled up to the arm around my shoulder :rolleyes:.

BUT. When I saw Linda Blair in the Exorcist, I was petrified for months. Darn't tuck my lovely little girl in at night. Bless. ( Only kidding)

How did they make her head turn all the way round .:shout:???

On 5/8/2008 at 7:48 AM, rob237 said:

Yes..there was a real dive of a cinema in Bulwell Market Place, by the 43 trackless terminus.

IIRC, it also doubled as a theatre specializing in static nudes, complete with varicose veins !faint!

The name eludes me...

Cheers

Robt P.

In an earlier post, rob237 mentions the place in Bulwell market, ( Olympia), he said it used to show static nudes. My dad had the dubious part time job of standing offstage, in the wings and putting the robes or dressing gowns on the 'models' as they came offstage. He told on one occasion when I was waiting for him just inside the stage door that 'Jane' from the Daily Mirror had just been on. The girl in a cartoon strip with a little dachshund called Fritz. I could have only been a tiddler at the time. B.

Cinema-going ain't worrit used ta be. I went to a cinema near Basford crossing with a couple of school pals in about 1958/9 to see Bill Haley in Rock around the clock. We sat on the right hand block of seats halfway back, although there weren't many people in.

Midway through the film the silhouette of a row of 3 or 4 cinema seats from the front went cartwheeling across in front of the screen, then followed a rapid dispersal of patrons away from the forward seats; chaos, laughter and shouting ensued and the lights came on, later followed by the entrance of a platoon of policemen. We were all turfed out, innocent and all. That was that, no refund or anything.

Nobody has mentioned the "Orion", that used to be on Alfreton road, just down from Canning circus. Used to be our local fleapit and Saturday morning rush. Became a Fine Fare after that. Heaven knows what it is now, probably a charity shop or takeaway.

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Yes, but they’re not the real Laurel and Hardy. I heard that the real ones died a while ago.:(

That's all propaganda and ' fake news'. Next they'll be saying there's no such thing as Buster Keaton !

10 hours ago, Beekay said:

My dad had the dubious part time job of standing offstage, in the wings and putting the robes or dressing gowns on the 'models' as they came offstage.

I had that job too. It was six pound a week but that's all I could afford.

• Like 2