DOES ANYOE KNOW WHY THERE ISN'T A NUMBER 160 ON THIS ROAD ANYMORE? mY GREAT GRANDFATHER OWNED THIS HOUSE IN 1918? HE WAS REGISTERED AS A CLERK THERE FOR SOME REASON? aNY HELP ANYONE?

Hi Mariag. Where abouts on colwick road was number 160? And dont say in between 158 and 162! I live in netherfield,which is just down the road from colwick and if you knew where abouts the house was i might be able to help. Chrissy. x

Hi Mariag. Where abouts on colwick road was number 160? And dont say in between 158 and 162! I live in netherfield,which is just down the road from colwick and if you knew where abouts the house was i might be able to help. Chrissy. x

It was a while since I went but I think it was closer to the end of road. There is a gap of numbers between 150s and 160s but no room for houses in between so I wonder if the house numbers have changed at some time?

It was a while since I went but I think it was closer to the end of road. There is a gap of numbers between 150s and 160s but no room for houses in between so I wonder if the house numbers have changed at some time?

Cant really help you very much there mariag. Its possible some houses were pulled down to make way for shops etc! There has been a lot of redevelopment in that area. I hope you find someone who can help you. Chrissy.

I know this sounds daft but you do find odd houses missing in this area and its all due to a Luftwaffe raid during the War.

The Coop depot on Meadow Lane was destroyed during the Nottingham "blitz".

Funny you should say that. around 1970, a friend lived on Colwick Road, on the left just before the church opposite the pub (name?) when going towards colwick. Next door was a car accessory shop. Outside his house was a pole formerly used for trolly bus wires.

That pole had a hole melted in it which I always though looked like it was caused by some kind of weapon?

It may even be still there?

Didn't Ron (Country Gentleman) live down there somewhere Mick??

Lawrences? didnt that place go up in a huge fire?

That was the Place Mick, Fire???, I livede just onver the hill behind it for many years, I dont remember any smoke?

Beef might know?

That was the Place Mick, Fire???, I livede just onver the hill behind it for many years, I dont remember any smoke?

Beef might know?

Were all the houses in about 1920 large 3 storys? Just wondering how in 1900 my great granfather went from a 2 up 2 down house on Orange Street in the meadows to a much larger house in Colwick road [if they were 3 storys]

Beef might know?

If it burned down in the mid / late 90's I was abroad so would have needed good eyesight .........LOL

Hi all. Ave you missed me? Been down the coast for a few days,making the most of the weather! The lawrences factory you are talking about is now called lawrence automotive and they are situated behind morrisons in netherfield. They make dashboards for posh cars! namely jags,mercs etc in walnut and such like.

• 1 year later...

My father was born at no 1 colwick rd still there in 1908 and later moved to no 37 sneinton hermitage were he lived untill his marrage at st stephens church in 1937. He always told us that his grandfather built these houses along with His partners and owned these properties until his death until first world war.most of these propoties at this end of the road were large 3 storey houses.

Iam trying to do my family history and keep hitting brickwalls on my fathers side just wonder if any one out there may be able to help been down the archives and city libary several times and i am getting nowere. Carnt find them on any cencus. my fathers name was GEORGE HENRY CLEMENTS born 1 Colwick Rd Nottingham September 1908. His parents were Henry and Lizzy posibly Elizabeth Clements nee Rowlands but not sure on this dad did not tell us much about his family.

His grantfather was Thomas Clements belived to be Irish his grand mother I belive was Susannah Clements. They had several boarding houses in Narrow Marsh found her in one cencus owner of 79 to 107a Narrow Marsh but was unable to find my grand father or great grand father Henry was a leather dresser at turners tannery. I know he died when my father was still quite young. but thats the only information i have managed to get so far.

Do any of you historians out there know any thing abour the clements clowns,they used to been entertainers in Nottingham between the wars I think. I know they played at the pleasure park colwick as I saw a picture of them a few years ago in the evening post. But could not find out anymore about them. I was wondering if there could have been

a family conection there some of my family are musical but not me.

thanks barbara

Its all on ancestry.com 1907 marriage Henry Clements & Elizabeth Rowland, George Henry Clements birth 1908, 1901 census Henry Clements living at 97 Red Lion St Lodgeing House.

MG

Thanks for this info I will go down the arcives again this week and look up this info as I dont have ancestry. com on my own computer but can freeview from the archives and now with dates it should be easier to find. Is red lion st were the logger heads pub is my dad said his grandfather owned that at one time I will look into this too. THANKS ONCE AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP

• 1 year later...

Funny you should say that. around 1970, a friend lived on Colwick Road, on the left just before the church opposite the pub (name?) when going towards colwick. Next door was a car accessory shop. Outside his house was a pole formerly used for trolly bus wires.

That pole had a hole melted in it which I always though looked like it was caused by some kind of weapon?

One simple word - SHRAPNEL from the Lutwaffe blitz of May 1941.My father and family all lived in Sneinton and were lucky not be hit by a bomb on Cosby Road. The next morning my dad set off with other lads picking up pieces of shrapnel. You should find shrapnel damage all over Sneinton and I do recall Sneinton Boulevard was still showing the scars in 1960. Yes I know it still has scars now!

PS is the Loggerheads pub shut now? Fantastic history to that place, I always wanted to return but if its closed it wont happen. My great grandfather, an Irish navvy working on the railways was drinking in there in the 1880s-1890s.

Funny you should say that. around 1970, a friend lived on Colwick Road, on the left just before the church opposite the pub (name?) when going towards colwick. Next door was a car accessory shop. Outside his house was a pole formerly used for trolly bus wires.That pole had a hole melted in it which I always though looked like it was caused by some kind of weapon?

One simple word - SHRAPNEL from the Lutwaffe blitz of May 1941

Looking at Google Street view the large post is no longer outside the church?

And the Manvers is being taken down brick by brick and palleted up?

manvers.jpg

• 3 years later...

Wasn't the pub The Manvers?

The pub in the photo at post #21 is the Earl Manvers. Is that what we are talking about? The thread is over 3 years old.

The scene today has changed a bit. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.949946,-1.123949,3a,75y,116.83h,93.21t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sLsJcxejn_KyRp9QbH-P_rA!2e0?hl=en