radcliffe on trent

My father lived in this villagesometime between 1950 ad 1955? The family had a small holding somewhere nearer to Saxendale asylum. The buildig was a one level property with I believe a tin roof. It was i about 3 acres. My grandad kept pigs, rabbits and chickens. He also allowed caravaners on there.

My gran became ill and the small holding became too much so they decided to sell up. My gradad tried to sell as building land [more money] but was turned down. The person who bought it kept it a year and then managed to sell it as building land. This must 've been late 50s/early 60s. Not sure where this though. Anyoe recall?

Just been on the phoe to my uncleand the small holding was on the bingham road. He and my dad used to knock about with the Lamberts kids. He also remembers from the other side of the village 2 boys called Pete and John Marsden. Anyone know these folk?

There are some newer houses on the right hand side (Possibly 50s) near to the turn for the old asylum Perhaps Rob237 can confirm as he is not a million miles away.

I used to go fishing, with my dad, to Radcliffe on Trent weir when I was a little kid (5 years and up) We used to walk to Netherfield and Colwick station (As it was known) on the train for one stop, over the river, then the (Seemingly) endless walk down Shelford road and down through the woods to the weir.

I remember one occasion as we walked past the last houses and approached the farm on the right getting a shock as looking back over the hedge at us was a LLama ,one hell of a shock, 'cos you don't see that many Llamas in the wilds of Nottinghamshire!!. IMMSC he later had a Zebra, some Bison and Highland cattle, I may be wrong on the Zebra though.

Another occasion saw me walking most of the way back to Radcliffe ,on my own, as my dad had forgotten to pack the milk for the flask of tea. (Does anyone remember Mutley from "Dick Dastardly" who used to go into a grouch muttering "Sachin frachin rachin Rick Rastardly. Well that was me all the way to the shop and back , fair play to the old man though he had ' tackled up ' for me though (He'd also caught 2 for himself though)

Then after a great day out ("With my dad"!!!!) It was a long walk again then the brief resbight of the train a another long walk home from Netherfield

Happy days

Sorry to have hijacked your forum mariag but the memories started to flow at the mention of Radcliffe on Trent

Just another quick one on radcliffe on trent. With my grandfather keeping pigs , in those days you could feed them on pigs swill, so on a sat. morning he would go round cafes, hospitols etc to collect the waste food and then as he was a football fan he would park the lorry up with the lovely aroma of rooting food, yes you've guessed it in the lovely area of west bridgford. Did he love that!!!!!

My grandmother at oe time worked up at the asylum in Saxendale.,which incidently not everyone was mad.. She brought home an inmate called Violet whose only 'madess' was having a withered arm. She lived with them a few years and I beleive married my grandfathers work man. I have so many stories from my dads memories and my uncles of there youth... They left Radcliffe after a few years and moved to Forest Grove in the arboretum and went to the lovely Huntingdon Street boys school. Does anyone know what year this came down????

There used to be an old boy (in patient there) who, always smartly dressed, used to walk all the way to Trent Bridge and back twice a day. If you gave him a wave he remembered you and your truck and always gave you a wave (sometimes before you saw him) I was a regular up and down that road in the 80's and felt I knew him, even though we had never spoken a word.

He also used to pretend to point things out to passing police cars in a "He went thataway" sort of motion.

Ah memories, used to fish there often around twelve years ago, the weir is actually Stoke weir.

Beef, can you remember the pond next to the weir? we used to catch gudgeon from the Trent and livebait for pike in the pond, it was full of em, you could also hit some decent barbel directly fished into the weir.

I remember one day I had bagged up with five decent pike while being watched by this guy, he eventually came over and offered me £5 for the pike, he explained that he was Polish and it was a favourite delicacy and we like to marinate them overnight in ginger, being one of my favourite haunts I declined his offer.

Isnt there a Polish community in R.O.T. ?

Can't say as I remember the pond Mickety, but I too used to use Gudgeon and Roach as live bait but into the weir. I used to get a few good 'uns but the only time I tried to eat something I caught in the river (It was a Brown Trout) it tasted (Or rather smelt) like the river used to, horrible. Even my cat turned it's nose up at it and didn't speak to me for a week.

I moved on to Gunthorpe weir when older as I had transportation of my own and had some lovely Barbel out there (Including an 8 pounder!)

Something to do with RAF Newton perhaps Polish Airmen?

Unaware of any Polish enclave in ROT...of the nearby airfields, only Swinderby has a very brief Polish connection. There is of course the well-known Polish War Cemetery on London Road, Newark but, IIRC, that mainly relates to soldiering.

The place for Polish war veterans and their descendants is Mucky Huckna'

Cheers

Robt P.

• 4 months later...

Alot of Polish in the Sherwood Rise area, talking of before their church built on there in 1950's, also alot of Italians in the Oakdale/ Upper Sneinton Dale area, was told Italians at POW camp Colwick Woods and after war as seen as no danger just left to settle? not sure if true?

Yes...also my understanding re Italians around Sneinton/Carlton/Colwick...

Can recall that, in the early 50's, three or four Italians played amateur soccer for Oakdale Rangers?, alongside my late Uncle. It was a highly successful team - primarily because the clogging opponents couldn't cope with their level of skill :)

Cheers

Robt P.

There was always a strong Canadian presence in Radcliffe-on-Trent due to a lot of airmen from Langar airfield settling there. There is an area in the village known as the 'Canadian estate'. The road names are mostly Canadian, St. Lawrence Boulevard etc.

"After the Second World War a housing estate for Canadian airmen at Langar was built in Radcliffe, the property coming into private hands after their departure in 1963."

http://www.rotpc.com/History.htm

If I remember correctly, when the Canadian houses first came up for sale to the public, they came complete with all the kitchen appliances, including huge fridge. Unheard of in those days. They may even have come furnished.

I lived in Radcliffe from '75-'77, and loved every minute. We had moved from Langar, not a million miles away, but in facilities, it was a million miles away! Langar has 1 tiny shop, a post office in the front of someone's house, and a pub. Radcliffe seemed like heaven with its choice of shops etc.

• 1 year later...

Alot of Polish in the Sherwood Rise area, talking of before their church built on there in 1950's, also alot of Italians in the Oakdale/ Upper Sneinton Dale area, was told Italians at POW camp Colwick Woods and after war as seen as no danger just left to settle? not sure if true?

Ashley: I remember the Italian POW camp at the top of Colwick Woods very well. The prisoners were allowed to work during the day and report back to the camp at night. We played all over the site after the war and the huts had gone.