more tales from the late 60's early 7o's

I must be an oddball, only club I went to, was the Bowling Alley Club, other than miners welfare clubs, I was a pub crawler, well at least I crawled upstairs when I got home...LOL

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you lads and lasses for your comments. I couldn't have reached that illustrious total without the help of you lot, particularly the late-night crew on Word Association and Keep One Drop One ...

I suppose this is more late 50`s and 60`s than 70`s,but I thought it was pretty appropriate. -- Long ago and far away, in a land that time forgot, Before the days of Dylan, or the dawn of Camelot

Just interviewed Pete Groves who owned sandpipers .......amazing tales how the club went from a posh guys bistro in 1974 to,an iconic punk club ......  

Same for me John, bowling alley club. I suppose it's who you hang out with determines where you go, I never knew a single person who frequented the clubs.

Me too, I had never been to a Nightclub at all until around mid 1970s, and then it wasn't in Notts.

Before I got married we did the usual Pub Crawls around the City Center some weekends but our night life was The Miners Welfare, Grey Goose, The Balaton, Cavendish. Any local pubs with live music on. I almost forgot a few times at the Locarno, Palais and Sherwood Rooms.

Village Kids. We didn't stray far!

Special times indeed. Freshness, innocence and above all, great music.

• Upvote 1

I started using the Bowling Alley Club not too long after they opened, my chargehand and most of the other nightshift elecs used to meet up of a Friday lunchtime, have a few frames of bowling, then upstairs for a few pints of Watney's Red Barrel, cheese and onion bread rolls and a few hands of dominoes.

I'll bet you served me a few times when you worked there Kath!!

Probably saw you at the Bowling Alley on Friday lunchtimes Ayupmeducks. We had a bowling league at work and would dash down to the Bowl during our one hour lunch break, have a quick game and a chip butty then back to work. I was the only girl in our league, with 19 guys. Loved it!!!

• Upvote 2

I bet you wupped em all too Lizzie !!!

I'm sure they were Lizzie. I bet they were all behind you when you took to the floor. LOL

I'd have given you a trophy just for wearing a mini skirt. The best invention ever !!!!!

Carni,

As you went to the Cavendish pub, did you ever go to the Carlton Hotel? They had a disco room attached to the pub, we use to go there on our scooters back in the very early seventies.

IT could'nt happen to a nicer member Lizzie,............and some of your posts have been interesting LOL,..........only joking girl.....well done.

Thank you lads and lasses for your comments. I couldn't have reached that illustrious total without the help of you lot, particularly the late-night crew on Word Association and Keep One Drop One ........you know who you are, LOL. My addiction to Nottstalgia is not improving at all so I'll now be chasing those ahead of me in the League Table.

• Upvote 8

Well done Lizzie, your simply the best...... :jumping: Xxx.

• Upvote 1

#68 Robbie, I can't remember the Carlton being one of our main haunts. In the 1970's it was mostly the Grey Goose or pub crawls. I had long left Notts in 1966 so when we visited family, it was mainly just a walk to The Goose. The last time we were in The Carlton, was 1980's for a family wedding reception.