more tales from the late 60's early 7o's

The motorbike shop on the corner was Kingstons...

THAT brings back memories! A friend of mine from Ilkeston worked at Kingstons - I remember visiting him there and ogling over the new Kawasaki Mach-3 - also remember the 3-wheel moped (Aerial 3?)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you lads and lasses for your comments. I couldn't have reached that illustrious total without the help of you lot, particularly the late-night crew on Word Association and Keep One Drop One ...

I suppose this is more late 50`s and 60`s than 70`s,but I thought it was pretty appropriate. -- Long ago and far away, in a land that time forgot, Before the days of Dylan, or the dawn of Camelot

Just interviewed Pete Groves who owned sandpipers .......amazing tales how the club went from a posh guys bistro in 1974 to,an iconic punk club ......  

Ayup Limey,

I remember the Ariel, I think it was made by BSA hoping to break into the small bike end of the market, as you turned the steering the thing would lean over to maintain it's CofG. Fred Bunnies (Bunnies Bikes) was further round the corner from Kingstons more towards the canal then the small cafe

Rog

I found a picture of the blasted thing:

ariel3-06from1971.jpg

Always struck me that it would actually be harder to ride than a 2-wheeler - BUT, they are making a comeback:

brp-spyder.jpg

We used to use the Cafe back in '85 when the refurbishment of New Castle House was underway.

Shame the Cafe is now closed.

Went into Bunters Cafe on Parliament Street a couple of Saturdays back, as we always do if we are working in the City on a Saturday, and Steve the owner tells me that he has been 'Compulsory Purchased' with a £15k sweetner as the whole building is due for demolition and rebuild. Better take some pictures quick.

GalaHeadquarters.jpg

• 1 month later...
Oh yes Zak and Kurt "our mutual freinds" had a few clubs in their time , one by the station was about their last. Late 80's early 90's that would be (Next door to the police station) Didn't they call Babels, Micheal Issacs after Kurts son?

Havent read this thread until now, but to set the record straight, it was Zaks son Michael Isaac, who had the club named after him, plus of course Zak is actually a shortened form of Isaac, dads real name.

The club opposite the Midland Station was Zaks, in both name and ownership, Kurt at this time had a pizza take away in Long Eaton.

I was at Tesco in Toton a couple of months back, and who did I bump into....? Zak himself, who is now living in California.

I remember a bar girl when I dj'd at The Babel,, she was serving a guy with a whisky, he asked for a little water to be added, and her reply to the man was..." oh you dont need to put anymore in it, Zaks done that already!"

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

No

The Club "Zacs" was on Station Street Next door to the Police station.

Re Carl and the Heidleburgers see here

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?sh...;hl=bier+keller

I'm not sure whether it's in there but there is a lot about the Bier Kellar and it's later incarnation as The Mardi Gras (I worked there for a long time )

Put Mardi Gras or Bier Keller / kellar in the search box at the top of the page

• 1 year later...

I remember most saturday mornings in the 'Elbow Cafe' on mansfield rd

Do you remember the Lea family that ran The Elbow Cafe? Three sons that I know of, Chris, Warren and ?

Re Canal Street and Le Chic, does anyone remember The Bowling Green pub on the opposite (south) side of the road? Maybe a Home Ales pub?

• 7 months later...

started my club life with the dungeon where great acts like steam packet( long john, rod stewart, Julie driscoll) lead me to see Jimmy Cliff ,..Jimmmy James and the great Jimmy Hendrix at the beachcomber. Friday and Sunday nights were spent in the Brit, Boat and the Union clubs at Trent bridge. We all use to gather outside Saxones and get the bus down Arkwright street, past Selectadisc .The pigalle, colemans, flying horse,bodega and many more places would take mer down the nostalgic route...i then left nottingham for a student life in Manchester where i worked some of the best clubs in England..the twisted wheel. time and place and the legend that was Blinkers where George Best spent many an evening....Worked the Hippo club in 1971 and became part of the sandpiper, babel set ...would love to hear from anyone who has tales to tell .....ps am still into my music and the odd night clubbing!

I remember the Hippo Club that always seemed to be playing Ride a White Swan and that song always reminds me of those days. Also I worked as a waitress at the Babel Club on Huntingdon Street with Kurt and Zak. I remember when Kurt's girlfriend Liz won a beauty contest and they went off with the prize of an African Safari.

There were belly dancers there I recall.

• 3 years later...

When did your mum work at the 99, the doormen were Keith and I think Corrigan. There was an Italian girl Rossana worked one of the bars. I think the doormen change to a couple of Greeks if I remember rightly.

The 99 Club - my mother worked behind the bar for a time. Nice club - as I recall they too had

a problem with people climbing in the front from the car park, getting in without paying!

BIG BUMP OF QUOTE !!!

I'm embarrassed to say that I was one of those people who managed to get into the 99 for nothing ........... my friend and I would saunter casually into the Bridgeford Hotel lobby and leg it up the several flights of stairs until we reached a door which opened up behind the bar of the 99. Great times, one of the best clubs in Nottingham around 1970.

• Upvote 3

Loved the "99,had a disagreement with "Sammy Chapman" in there about 1970,we had both had a few" and he took a fancy to my then girlfriend,another ex Forest player "Colin Hall"was the peacemaker.Happy days :)

• 10 months later...

Loved the "99,had a disagreement with "Sammy Chapman" in there about 1970,we had both had a few" and he took a fancy to my then girlfriend,another ex Forest player "Colin Hall"was the peacemaker.Happy days :)

Oh the 99 club, was my favourite haunt, I practically lived there in 1968/69 - it's where I met im indoors......I knew everybody and just partied with them all.....Oh happy days..............

Lizzie M ---- I must have known your mum back then, was 1968/69............I remember David Nattress on the door, he went to my school, that horrible Textle School, but always pretended that he didn't, there were other guys, Ken Basford, Trev Beach, Dougie Wakefield, Dave Marriott, a guy called Ray and many more and of course Malc Taylor, who I met there and married, I knew a girl called Janis White and Jayne Rippon who I went with regularly........My friend Mary Thornton was a barmaid there in the 70's..........We always met up there after the Playhouse Bar, the George Hotel and other popular haunts had closed and if there were no parties to attend.........I used to stay at a blokes house in West Bridgford, because I could not get back to Hucknall........He owned a sports car and his own house, not many single blokes did back then.......His names was George Trebinski, a tall Polish guy ( was all proper, we were just mates) wonder where he is now ?.............Oh, they were the best days of my young life...................Brings back so many happy summerrtime memories.............The record 'My Girl' was always playing and it became our song........

• Upvote 3

started my club life with the dungeon where great acts like steam packet( long john, rod stewart, Julie driscoll) lead me to see Jimmy Cliff ,..Jimmmy James and the great Jimmy Hendrix at the beachcomber. Friday and Sunday nights were spent in the Brit, Boat and the Union clubs at Trent bridge. We all use to gather outside Saxones and get the bus down Arkwright street, past Selectadisc .The pigalle, colemans, flying horse,bodega and many more places would take mer down the nostalgic route...i then left nottingham for a student life in Manchester where i worked some of the best clubs in England..the twisted wheel. time and place and the legend that was Blinkers where George Best spent many an evening....Worked the Hippo club in 1971 and became part of the sandpiper, babel set ...would love to hear from anyone who has tales to tell .....ps am still into my music and the odd night clubbing!

I went to all those places you mentioned, but I must be older than you as I went to them in the late sixties, I married in 1970..........I remember Coleman's, The boat clubs, The Hippo was a great place too and the Pigalle, we called it the Pighole, although we enjoyed it..........The 99 Club was my favourite place back then.............We caught the trolleybuses at the Market Square.........They were the greatest times ever........

• Upvote 2