more tales from the late 60's early 7o's

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you lads and lasses for your comments. I couldn't have reached that illustrious total without the help of you lot, particularly the late-night crew on Word Association and Keep One Drop One ...

I suppose this is more late 50`s and 60`s than 70`s,but I thought it was pretty appropriate. -- Long ago and far away, in a land that time forgot, Before the days of Dylan, or the dawn of Camelot

Just interviewed Pete Groves who owned sandpipers .......amazing tales how the club went from a posh guys bistro in 1974 to,an iconic punk club ......  

John re:#55. I only worked the evenings behind the bar, an older blonde lady named Connie, was the manager, I bet she was there lunchtimes. I worked the desk when I first started there, checking folks in.

We used to drop by of an evening Kath, place was sometimes packed at the weekends, I think I recall Connie, I think there were two bar staff on at the times we went in at Friday lunchtimes, not a lot of customers besides our group. One of the fellers has long gone, sure Dave would have passed on too, the rest of us retired, one lives in Canada, another lives in Hucknall, lost track of all the others I worked with who went bowling on Friday lunchtimes.

Sixties night life for some of us was church youth club discos. That was until we progressed to getting kicked out of pubs for being under age (and learning new swear words in the process).

• Upvote 1

I had a G/F who was a nurse at the City Hospital out for a few drinks one evening, I'm sure the pub was The Salutation, she was 21 but didn't look her age. I ordered our drinks, landlord poured mine and then said "I'm not serving her". I said "why not" "She's under aged" I said she's 21..He argued the toss, so I told him to shove the pint he'd poured me up his a***, and we walked out. Don't know what he did with the pint, but I didn't pay for it. I'm sure that would have been around 1968'ish.

Sixties night life for some of us was church youth club discos. That was until we progressed to getting kicked out of pubs for being under age (and learning new swear words in the process).

Was one of them Kingswood Church youth club on Lambourne Drive in Wollaton? Some of the neighbours used to complain about the noise. Eventually it moved to a youth centre in Lenton, Monty Hind I think it was called. 2 bus rides to get there instead of one but much better as the music could be louder.

• Upvote 1

Shirley if you went to Kingswood in the late sixties then you must have know the Fitzpatrick brothers, Grenville and the rest of them.

• 1 month later...

Late sixties and early seventies for me as a kid meant: the bamboo-the metropole- street fights-going to scrap yards- pulling houses down!! Not to mention Cathedral youth club and serving twice on a Sunday!! (groan)

Ian, We have a bit in common. I too use to frequent the Bamboo café on Mansfield Road, the Metropole also on Mansfield Road, The scrap yards, most weekends the ones on Park Lane, Woodborough and Dunkirk. If you are talking about the youth club on College Street run by the sisters l also went there a few times. Although I was not into street fighting or pulling down houses.

Hey Robbie it's a small world . The Brandimarties ran the Bamboo. The youth club Was on College St. great nights- dancing to Small Faces and Norman Greenbaum!! my dad ran a big six Citroen and we lived at park lane ( atlas spares) and Car colston- it's true about street fights- we'd capture thier bully and put his fingers in the mangle TRUE!! And we'd pull the back of a house down- removing lintels and timbers until collapse- no one said a word!!

• 1 month later...

Came across this site whilst looking for memories and when Robbie #68 & Carni #53 mentioned the Cavendish( now the Blue Note) it reminded me of the good times I had there. In 1968/69 I used to work behind the bar, sometime the public others the lounge. The penultimate was working in the Disco Bar which used to be packed most Fridays and weekends. The landlord, Bob, would not tolerate any trouble and wouldn't worry about resolving it outside with a friendly tap.

• Upvote 1