Memories Of My Nottingham Days 1975 - 1986

Thanks for all who posted replies about The Fountain Pub.

Other pubs I remember are The QE(Queen Elizabeth),Bottle Lane.This was a very well run pub and the toilets were spotless - always a good sign.There was Langtys(was The Peach Tree), Turf,Blue Bell,Lion in Clumber Street,Princess(was the Parliament House).I also remember The Crystal Palace,Clumber Street which closed down when I was living down there and was converted into a shop.It had a "listed" front window which could not be changed.A town or city's pubs are what give a place character.These days all towns have an All Bar One or maybe a Living Room.Some pubs are closed down,demolished or turned into a poncey wine bar !

I listened to Radio Trent in those days - Dale Winton,John Peters,Graham Knight,John Shaw.Remember Chris Ashley.If he didn't agree with something you said on a phone-in he would cut you off.He used to call Cloughie and Taylor "Bill & Ben" thus not endearing himself to at least one half of Nottingham !

There was a girl who used to sell the Nottingham Evening Post in the city centre.She used to look like a university "drop-out" and used to shout " Post " in a rather posh accent much to the amusement of passers-by.Remember her ?

Then there were the Nottingham "characters" who used to frequent the pubs around the city centre.I remember this guy who always wore a hat, a bit like Tony Hancock used to wear.I was going out with a girl called Barabara,at the time,who lived in Gill Street.She went in The QE one night with her mates.This guy came in and a customer whipped his hat off and were throwing it around the pub ! This was hilarious for the customers but not for the hat-owner who,apparently,went loony !

I see reports in the paper on Nottingham being "the worst place to live in Britain." Don't worry,all cities have their problems and I take anything I read with a pinch of salt.

Congratulations to Forest on winning promotion.A derby to look forward to next season against,well,er.....Derby.

I would love to see lots of replies to this posting.All the very best to Nottingham and it's people.

Russ,Rainhill,Merseyside

• Like 1

Most of what you mention above is covered (Including the 'posh' girl IMMSC we even discovered her name) is covered else where on here, just keep on looking

As for the radio ,do you not remember Craig Strong? he was pretty good (So I am told) You owe me a tenner now Craig.

As for your neck of the woods ,you are not a million miles away from me. I used to do a lot of business in your little industrial estate , and as for that little café in there ,smashing!!

Wasn't there some problem or other in your little town the other day, I remember hearing something on 'Granada Reports' the other day but can't for the life of me remember what it was.

Of the pubs you've listed, the QE is closed and has been for a long while, the Lion is an amusement arcade and the Princess/Parliament is a sandwich place - Langtry's is still going strong and I still head there prior to any concerts at the Concert Hall / Rock City.

The QE has been knocked down and something built in its place!

I'm pretty certain the building is still there but it's just an empty shell - the new IBIS Hotel and associated offices go right up to it.

I'm Sure its gone!

Red was round there the other day.

What say Nick?

Any one ever went to the Garage in the Lace market. I remember havin grto bang on the door to get in. It was like a warren of rooms in there... Strictly alternative though in late 80s

Beefsteak,what does IMMSC mean ?

If My Memory Serves Correct.

Any one ever went to the Garage in the Lace market. I remember havin grto bang on the door to get in. It was like a warren of rooms in there... Strictly alternative though in late 80s

The Garage was formerly the Ad Lib club from the 70s/80s as you say a right warren of rooms not undisimilar to the Aribba.

Most of what you mention above is covered (Including the 'posh' girl IMMSC we even discovered her name) is covered else where on here, just keep on looking

As for the radio ,do you not remember Craig Strong? he was pretty good (So I am told) You owe me a tenner now Craig.

Thanks Zab and Mick for the info on the pubs that are no longer so.Beefsteak,don't remember Craig Strong - maybe it was after I had left the area.Your input is appreciated.Regards.

Have a good look through here Russ .The'Posh' girl is to be found in there somewhere

http://www.dreamtargets.com/nottm80s/home.htm

As for Craig ask him he's on here ain't you mate??

Thanks for the link,Beefsteak.I found the "posh" Evening Post seller in the chapter, "People." It was the pic bottom-left on the first page.t says she was also a pavement artist - didn't know that.When I was living down there somebody told me that she sold papers outside the City Ground on Forest home matches and lots of the Forest fans used to take the mickey by imitating her."Post," evening Post " ,"Post " " evening Post." Thanks again.

When she was outside the tobacconists there was also the "Post , Evening Post, Late City." (edition of the post.) Which always cracked a smile from yours truely.

Thanks Beefsteak.After some researching I found the comments about Sally,the "posh" newspaper seller and pavement artist.They mention a bearded guy who used to knock around with her.I remember him too.Saw them together in a pub.Apparently,he used to mistreat her.Shame.I wonder what became of her ? She had a kind of "celebrity" status in so much as everybody knew her.I guess there must be some people around who know what happened to her but whether they will ever come on this site is another matter.If she still is around I hope she is OK.

For much of my time in the area the pubs were "tied houses." The city centre pubs were dominated by Home and Shipstones where as Hardys & Hanson's pubs tended to be in the surrounding suburbs.I understand that both Home(Daybrook) and Shipstones(Basford) are now closed whilst Hardy's & Hanson's(Kimberley) still exists.However, can you still buy a pint of Home or Shippos in the area and,if so,who's making it ? By the way,do you know the funny anagram of Shipstones ? Not sure if I'm allowed to put it on here though ?

Changing the subject to transport.My days were just before de-regularization.The main buses were City of Nottingham,Barton,South Notts, and Trent.Do you still any of those or have they been replaced by other companies ? Thanks for any contributions to this post.

Denshaw is the best man for this subject Russ , although I can tell you that you can't get a Corporation (green) bus to take you right across the city any more. They have renamed them 'The Lilac Line ETC . To get from Carlton to Wollaton Park takes two separate journeys.

I am pretty sure Bartons are still going too

Hi Russ. NCT bought out South Notts. Bartons had finance problems and joined forces with Trent to make Trent Barton. Bellamys are a local coach company and have just started running 2 old Routemasters on the Arnold Route. I worked for NCT from 1979 until 1995.

Whats the anagram of Shipstones?

I dunno but I can guess at the rude bit!!

So Pi** then ??

Hi Russ. NCT bought out South Notts. Bartons had finance problems and joined forces with Trent to make Trent Barton. Bellamys are a local coach company and have just started running 2 old Routemasters on the Arnold Route. I worked for NCT from 1979 until 1995.

Whats the anagram of Shipstones?

Thanks Denshaw.The anagram of Shipstones is " Honest p1$$." Ha,ha.

For much of my time in the area the pubs were "tied houses." The city centre pubs were dominated by Home and Shipstones where as Hardys & Hanson's pubs tended to be in the surrounding suburbs.I understand that both Home(Daybrook) and Shipstones(Basford) are now closed whilst Hardy's & Hanson's(Kimberley) still exists.However, can you still buy a pint of Home or Shippos in the area and,if so,who's making it ? By the way,do you know the funny anagram of Shipstones ? Not sure if I'm allowed to put it on here though ?

Changing the subject to transport.My days were just before de-regularization.The main buses were City of Nottingham,Barton,South Notts, and Trent.Do you still any of those or have they been replaced by other companies ? Thanks for any contributions to this post.

Hi Russ

Hardy's & Hanson's is no more, bought out by Greene King

Val