Memories Of My Nottingham Days 1975 - 1986

I understand there was the "old" Miltons Head prior to the Vic Centre being completed in 1974 - a year before I started down there.However,I do remember the "new" Miltons Head.It was popular with the younger sect(of which I was one !) and a dreadful place.There were signs everyhere written in the landlords scrawl saying don't do this and don't do that ! Is the pub still there and if not what is the building now ?

When Home Brewery and Shipstones closed down did they just do that or were they taken over by another brewery ? (I am aware that Hardy's & Hansons were taken over by Greene King,by the way.)

I remember the Tap 'n' Tumbler in Wollaton Street.I guess it is still open but can anybody remember the pub's name before it changed it's name? Thanks.

Would that be the Wilberforce Tavern?

I was browsing through CAMRA's Nottingham Good Beer Guide(1978 version ! ) before.The Wilberforce Tavern is mentioned in there and so I'm certain you are right.You and Beefsteak are great in keeping me up-to-date with my Nottingham past.Thanks.

Would that be the Wilberforce Tavern?

Wasn't the Wilberforce Tavern opposite? Demolished to make way for the hotel - there also used to be a great chippy right next door.

The "New" Miltons Head is long gone (I think it's Currys or similar now)

The Garage was formerly the Ad Lib club from the 70s/80s as you say a right warren of rooms not undisimilar to the Aribba.
The Ad Lib club was next door to the Sandpiper punk club in the Lacemarket. Everyone from Sham69 to the Lurkers appeared there. A right cellarful of noise with sweat running down from the walls and ceiling.
The Ad Lib club was next door to the Sandpiper punk club in the Lacemarket. Everyone from Sham69 to the Lurkers appeared there. A right cellarful of noise with sweat running down from the walls and ceiling.

I saw the Damned there in about 1978

Hi Russ. NCT bought out South Notts. Bartons had finance problems and joined forces with Trent to make Trent Barton. Bellamys are a local coach company and have just started running 2 old Routemasters on the Arnold Route. I worked for NCT from 1979 until 1995.

Whats the anagram of Shipstones?

Hi den. I notice that you worked for NCT for quite a while. Were you based in nottingham? If so you must have known Pete Savage who was a recovery driver. He worked for them for over 20 years and passed away nearly 5 years ago! He was my brother. chrissy. x

I worked at the Sherwood depot and also Parliament Street, the name Pete Savage sounds familiar.

Pete was based at parliament street and the last picture i have of him he was sitting in the canteen having a cuppa! I think the pic was took not that long before he passed away. Chrissy. x

• 5 months later...