six hills hotel and restaurant

Does anyone know what happened to the above place About 16 years ago we went to view this property as it was up for sale but it had had fire in part of it. It had a small church in its grounds. A few years ago I went by [a petrol station is right near it now] and it is derelict and looking a proper state. It was a beautiful building in its time ad I believe the estate agent who showed us round all those years ago sain that it was a country home originally for some important family.... I woder who owns it now? You also had to go round the back road to get to it.

Same place...

Changed name late 70's/early 80's...

Drove by daily for 15 years. Encountered a southbound driver, on the northbound A46 dual on several occasions!

Very busy pub in it's day...

Cheers

Robt P.

Can you remember Taz, who DJ ed the Arriba for along time? He had that great faux "Mid Atlantic" accent, he was married to Sharron who worked behind the bar. Any way he went on to manage the "Durham Ox" in about 1991/2 We (Me and Dave and a couple of lady Friends) became quite regular there for a little while

One memory is when he put a Piranha fish in the big indoor pond which proceeded to eat all the other gold fish in there (Even though he was assured that as long as it was kept fed (With some special gunk) it would not kill the other fish!!)

Another was when he first was taking over and Taz was showing me and Dave round ,they had a 'Sunday Club' and the D.J. must have got his mate to do the following , (as it was too much of a coincidence,)

As we walked into the dance area and were looking at the lights / speaker placement etc the music suddenly stopped and this lad came up and took the mike from 'Danny Double Decks' or whatever his name was, and proceeded to thank him for turning the Sunday club round from a nonentity to the "Thriving success it is today" (There were about 30 people in there!!!) and then gave him a bottle of Champagne

IMMSC he was sacked within a week!!!!!!!!

The place you are refering to is still derelict, I live very close and pass it most days.

I woder who owns it now. I dragged my husband about 7 years ago round the back of it... It did say keep out and I saw a large caravan near it with a alsation dog, not sure whether they had set up residency or they were the security... It is such a shame that it became the way it is as it was alovely old house despite the fire which had happened in the bar area. Not sure whether the estate agent at the time thought that the fire had been started deliberately..

But s I think like all derelect properties somebody must own it????

For all those talking about the Durham ox that I believe is further down the road????

I thought there were two different places Mariag,ta, My mate Taz managed the Durham Ox

• 3 months later...
Can you remember Taz, who DJ ed the Arriba for along time? He had that great faux "Mid Atlantic" accent, he was married to Sharron who worked behind the bar. Any way he went on to manage the "Durham Ox" in about 1991/2 We (Me and Dave and a couple of lady Friends) became quite regular there for a little while

One memory is when he put a Piranha fish in the big indoor pond which proceeded to eat all the other gold fish in there (Even though he was assured that as long as it was kept fed (With some special gunk) it would not kill the other fish!!)

Another was when he first was taking over and Taz was showing me and Dave round ,they had a 'Sunday Club' and the D.J. must have got his mate to do the following , (as it was too much of a coincidence,)

As we walked into the dance area and were looking at the lights / speaker placement etc the music suddenly stopped and this lad came up and took the mike from 'Danny Double Decks' or whatever his name was, and proceeded to thank him for turning the Sunday club round from a nonentity to the "Thriving success it is today" (There were about 30 people in there!!!) and then gave him a bottle of Champagne

IMMSC he was sacked within a week!!!!!!!!

I really dont believe how small a world it is!!!

I used to do a slot there on a Sunday night, straight after I finished my Sunday night show on Trent at 10.00, driving like a loony to start at 10.30. Gordon Desmond was the resident dj, at least on the night I was there, and apart from being on a panel of judges with Larry LLoyd there one night, id had the singer P P Arnold on my show, and mentioned to her that I had to dash straight off at 10 to my gig, and she offered to drive down and do a llive p a with her band at the time Pressure Point (must have been mid 80's) What a great lady she was/is!!!

• 1 year later...

Re reading this thread and i was way off with my dates regarding Taz taking over there , the year was closer to 1989 !!

• 9 years later...

Hi yes The Durham Ox- How good was the venue in the mid 70s, I along with a car full of friends from Bottesford would go Attend on Saturday evenings, more friendly than the Nottingham clubs. Always great music, played through a brilliant PA system. Great memories

I used to drive to Leicester quite often in the 1980s and passed Six Hills Hotel/Restaurant when it was at its peak, full of people and activity. This old thread made me look at Streetview to see if the place is still operating. This view is from 2017 and it appears to be derelict. And there's no online indication that it's come back to life yet.

https://goo.gl/maps/vpBbVnxorEiHkTLm6

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Cameron, your father was probably responsible for me ruining my sisters dress when he told me that I can't go in as i wasn't wearing a tie. Fortunately, sis had a dress with a black strap type of belt which I promptly removed (read ripped) and draped around my neck to resemble the aforementioned item, result, entry allowed!! Sis not very p!eased though!!