St stephens church, Sneinton

I have googled Father John Tyson and British Pathe news as a item called Teddy boys help Church 1959 I can,t view on my iPad so will have a look later on the main computer

I,m sure someone may be in this film I didn.t live in Nottingham till I was 10.

Hubby lived on Lees Hill Street about 1959 ish can anyone remember on Bonfire night a big bonfire at the crossroads right in the middle of the road behind St Stephens Church

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello again. I have just looked through the rest of this feed and found a video which must have you in it! It talks about your rock and roll club and how you had to go to the evening service in order

Hello all,   This looks like a great community and I’ve really enjoyed reading about the history of Sneinton.   I’ve just purchased the vicarage on Windmill Lane. My husband and I hav

Anyone know any of the people in this old 1959 Pathé clip? We’re trying to track them down for an amazing event in Sneinton this autumn!    https://youtu.be/RbORetSEesA

Hi, As a new member today want to add a bit about St Stephen,s Church my sister married there in 1968 I was a bridesmaid, we had to fetch Father Tyson out of the Fox to marry her and Mum was upset because she had paid for bells 20pounds extra bet that was spent in the pub. Also I used to do a paper round for Cumberlands on Colwick road and after a dog attacked me on ( not sure of the name of the road) behind St Stephens Church I used to throw the newspaper over the church wall so that I didn,t have to deliver it. I also remember the Pleasure Park, Parnells Scrap Yard where we climbing over the wall after school found some paralle bars trying to imitate an olympic star jump off the bars had a nail go through my foot.

Used to ask for a penny for the Guy outside the Bendigo. Uncle used to make up firewood bundle in the caves under the train bridge at the bottom of Lees Hill steps I had to sell them door to door 3p a bundle. Oh I could go on forever.

Hello

We must know one another or we have met,I remember all the things you tell us about,I lived on castle st. Until I got married in 1969'i now live in Italy,and the things you tell us really brings back fond memories,they really was happy days.

Cheers lupo

Member Bergman hasn't been active for a few weeks , why not give him a PM .

And don't forget to subscribe (It's free) to this topic thread and you'll be notified of any further replies.

Ian

• 7 months later...

I went to the sneinton trust school,St Stephens was our church but most people even from sneinton forget there is a street between sneinton road,and sneinton dale,most of the church yard borders it,any sneintoners know the name of the street.?

MY MUM AND DAD WERE MARRIED AT THIS CHURCH IN MARCH 1937. BOTH SIDES OF MY PARENTS FAMILY LIVED IN THE SNEINTON AREA AT THE TIME BUT MUM AND DAD WENT BACK TO LIVE IN NETHERFIELD BY 1938 WHEN MY ELDEST BROTHER WAS BORN

MY HUSBANDS COUSIN AND HER GRANDSON ARE BOTH ACTIVE MEMBERS OF THE CURRENT CHURCH AND SING IN THE CHIOR . FROM WHAT SHE TELLS ME IT HAS A LARGE CONGREGATION.

Thanks jackson and piggy and babs. The three ladies, with their Nottingham lace dresses, are indeed sisters. They all lived well into their eighties except my Dad who died of a brain hemorrhage. Unfortunately the photo has marks around my Mums face and my Dads coat but bearing in mind the photo was taken in 1936 I don't think it's done bad. The photo could be restored but it doesn't belong to me. I decided one day to start putting all my photos onto my computer and after I'd finished mine I asked all my family to lend me all their old family photos to download.. The wedding photo was a surprise because I didn't know it existed, just like lots of the others.

Its a beautiful dress. I have my grandmas wedding dress from 1955, I believe its made out of embosed damask and it cost her £33 11s per yard and she had 11 yards of it. Im taking it onto the antiques roadshow when there up at newstead abbey in june :)

Thanks for the nice comment, jimmy87notts. The money you stated for your Grandma's dress was a lot of money in those days. It would be interesting to see what the Antiques Roadshow has to say. It's monetary value doesn't matter but because it was your Nan's makes it priceless.

All appologies micheal , but please don't tell me (that after all the recent postings re ghosts and second sight etc) that I'm the only one who can see the image of a face on your mums chest/chin!?

I can see it as well, but I think it's just a white blob on the lady's chin which combines with the shadows near her neck; then the whole lot looks like a face.

Like one of those "faerie" photos from the 1920s

I wondered if it was a double-exposure or some other photograph vagary?

Interestingly it doesn't look all that distinct on the older desktop machine I am using but the face is crystal clear and very apparent on my nearly-new laptop.

hi micheal

we are in the process of putting all our old family photoes onto computer and transfering them on to memory sticks then want to start with all our modern photographs not an easy task as we have around20 diferent albums to trans fer and put into different files some of the earlyest photoes we have are late 1800s early 1900s from daves family history files plus were posible i have been and taken the potographs of places they lived as they are now so that younger generations of his family would have some idea of were they lived and what it was like 100 years plus later.and i have done the same with my family as far as posible, the next big thing is to do all the motorcycle photographs we have got both classic and modern bikes we liketo take photoes were ever we go rockers reunions whitehart steves bike meets mfn squires cafe ect and hope these will be a good reference in the future for some one and for them to see the development of the bikes over the years but with our special interest being 1960s bikes. each place our group we hope will eventually have its own fie.

Hello piggy and babs. To put all your photos onto your computer takes a really long time but once it's done it's really worth while. I've just been speaking to one of my brothers to wish him a happy birthday and our conversation got round to an incident that occured when he was a young lad. Within seconds I'd found the photo of the incident and we had a laugh as I described it to him. The alternative is to go and find the photo boxes and search through a million photos to find the one you want. Also you can edit them to improve the photo. Once everything is finished it's possible to make copies and give them to whoever wants them. One more thing, as you are scanning them, you'll come across lots of photos that you'd long forgotten about. Like I said earlier, it takes a long while but it's enjoyable and well worth it.

Stu, I was interested to read your comment about my Mother's face being clear on your laptop. I wonder if it's possible that it would download as a clear photo. If it did then It would be really great if you'd send it to me by e-mail. My address is on my Profile page. I know that people can do anything with photos but I don't have the knowledge to do it myself.

Beefsteak, no apology required as I took your comments in the good spirit that I'm sure you meant them to be.in.

Would be happy to do that Michael but if the quality of the image is low in the first place, without enhancing it with the photo-editing tools you refer to it would only be the same at best and possibly even lose a bit more quality. Maybe there is a whiz on here that is good at such stuff?

• 3 months later...

SneintonParishMagazineJuly1938.jpg

I've photocopied the front page of a St. Stephens magazine that I have. It's the 'Sneinton Parish Magazine' from July 1938. My Mum was born and raised in Lord St. off Windmill lane, Sneinton and, as you've seen above, she was married in St Stephens Church.

my sister has mum and dads marrage certificate and i think it was reverend thomas who married them the previous year i will have to get my sister to check for me.

• 6 months later...

Sorry, I can't help - but my mum and dad were married in St Stephens in 1938!

mine were married there march 1937 they were living 37 the hermitage then and later moved back to live with mums dad in netherfield . my grandad did not go to the wedding as they had had some kind of argument over the wedding one of dads friends gave her away

• 3 months later...

mine were married there march 1937 they were living 37 the hermitage then and later moved back to live with mums dad in netherfield . my grandad did not go to the wedding as they had had some kind of argument over the wedding one of dads friends gave her away

Hi piggy and babs

I was married at St Stephens 1965 by a father Tyson he turned up at the church in a red sports car and before that my husband to be had been in the Market Tavern/side having a booze with him. Who was sober'st I don't know but we managed to get married no hic-cups.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi All, Been following your posts on and off for years...Great to hear all your comments as I was a Sneinton Girl from birth , born on Sneinton Road almost opposite the St Stephens church in my Granma and Great Granmas rented house.I went to Sneinton old school at 4 ( my mother camped outside heads office til he agreed to take me at Easter term) and then moved up to the new one when it opened.I was Rose Queen in 1967 or 1968 - still have a lovely photo somewhere and my sister was also Rose Queen in 1972.

My Granma locked horns with the vicar of St Stephens many times !! and after one such occasion  she insisted my Prarents got married in 1962  at St Matthias church instead. Father Tyson definitely was in The Fox most nights- it was a smirking point in the area and does anyone remember Ivor Gledhill Teacher at Sneinton School who also resided at the Vicarage for many years. I think they had something ' in common' if you know what i mean.  

Sneinton Girl and MariaG i think we will know each other from what you are posting. 

ask me any Sneinton questions - its all coming back to me now !!!

RoseQueen

• Upvote 1