St stephens church, Sneinton

1 hour ago, RoseQueen said:

Sneinton Girl and MariaG i think we will know each other from what you are posting. 

ask me any Sneinton questions - its all coming back to me now !!!

RoseQueen

Welcome to Nottstalgia RoseQueen.

It's interesting that you might know Sneinton Girl or MariaG and I hope you get a response, but neither of them have visited this site or posted anything for several years. However, if you have anything to tell us about your days in Sneinton, please let us know.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello again. I have just looked through the rest of this feed and found a video which must have you in it! It talks about your rock and roll club and how you had to go to the evening service in order

Hello all,   This looks like a great community and I’ve really enjoyed reading about the history of Sneinton.   I’ve just purchased the vicarage on Windmill Lane. My husband and I hav

Anyone know any of the people in this old 1959 Pathé clip? We’re trying to track them down for an amazing event in Sneinton this autumn!    https://youtu.be/RbORetSEesA

Greetings Cliff Ton, Thanks for noticing my post- I've been in lockdown for 8 weeks now and sadly I may just ramble on and on.......have pity, but it may be very interesting LOL.

cheers for now as its gin o clock but  i'll organise some postings very soon.

RoseQueen

• 3 months later...

I think most people in sneinton knew each other back in the days ,post ww2,i am sneinton born and bred,loved the place,we didn’t have two pennies to rub together,and were little tearaways,but the people of old sneinton were the best.

see all the names on here and try to remember who they might be,especially the ladies ,now most have married names.

wish there were more old time sneinton eras around now,be a better place .

cheers

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Lupo, Our family name is Payne ( not many of us about up north as is a Hampshire name) and my Dad was born in WW2 in Sneinton. We had friends named: Marsden (related to Tish the boxer), Raven...related to Vann,

Spencer ...related to Whitmore some of whom were related to Watson. Porter, Ingle and Hallam. All from close to St Stephens church / Windmill Lane.

Denny Staniforth was well known to my Parents(was there a senior and a junior ?) as was Oglesby's from Notintone Place, Billy Glossop the Grocer ( no legs in later life)

Daley the Newsagent off Sneinton rd.   Sisson - my Dad's best man, think his wife was related to the Terzza's.  I could go on and on !!!! Yes we were all poor but generally behaved fairly well.

• 5 months later...

Hello all,

This looks like a great community and I’ve really enjoyed reading about the history of Sneinton.

I’ve just purchased the vicarage on Windmill Lane. My husband and I have bought it to be a forever home for us and will be investing in bringing it back to its former glory. Hopefully those of you still in the area will see it being given some well needed TLC and investment over the next few years.

I have loved hearing about the garden parties they had in the 50’s and 60’s and would love to make it a place that is known and welcome to the community. 

If anyone has any history or photos of the vicarage I would love to hear/see. Equally, if anyone is in the area and would like to come see it again, please feel free to PM me, the door is always open.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, Hannah said:

I’ve just purchased the vicarage on Windmill Lane. My husband and I have bought it to be a forever home for us and will be investing in bringing it back to its former glory.

This place  ?!?!  https://goo.gl/maps/m1Bc6iTEmKbo8c2t8

That looks like a massive/challenging/interesting/mad challenge to take on.  A place with character and history. 

I'd be fascinated to see any photos of what it looks like inside, either before or after.

• Like 1

Huuuge project... I wish you well...

Edit:

Looking at the estate agent pictures it's nothing like I imagined...

5 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

This place  ?!?!  https://goo.gl/maps/m1Bc6iTEmKbo8c2t8

That looks like a massive/challenging/interesting/mad challenge to take on.  A place with character and history. 

I'd be fascinated to see any photos of what it looks like inside, either before or after.

Thanks for the replies all and yes that’s the one! 

I’ll keep you updated with the progress :-)

Hi Hannah a big welcome   to the site, i look forward to your post's. I can remember (just) giong inside this house for our/ for want of a better word sex disscuison with Farther Tyson. We were married at St Steven's in 1965.

Sorry can't help much all I remember is the piano that stood in the background.if you look at St Ann's predemolition site you might find some thing on that, or maybe if you cantacted the church they just might help.  

Hopefully when this virus has slowed down a bit and we can once again go out would love to come and visit. 

• 2 months later...

I remember this church when we had a youth club upstairs in the vicarage 1959 the vicar was the Reverund Father Tyson  

we had to attend church service on Sunday so as to use the club was the only stipulation. Had some great times there talking and playing music we would paint the walls in Rock"n "Roll pictures of our favourite artists have not been in contact with any one that used to go except one Pat Wright who I met in 1999 it would be nice to se all of them again if still around. 

Mary Vann, Malcolm Marsh, Carole, Jill, Dave, Pat Wright, Jonny Atkins, hellothere  Keep The Faith Rod 

My hubby grew up on Alma Rd opposite Manvers School. He lived at number 2 and across the road at number 1 was a Pat Wright. Born 1947? Could this be your Pat Wright ?

On 5/12/2021 at 2:17 PM, katyjay said:

My hubby grew up on Alma Rd opposite Manvers School. He lived at number 2 and across the road at number 1 was a Pat Wright. Born 1947? Could this be your Pat Wright ?

Hi Katyjay, thanks for reply truth is not sure where Pat lived I thought her birthday was the year 1944 any one else know?

unionflagRegards Rod.

• 5 weeks later...

A little bit of history... At the time of 1558 the church of St Stephens (and the whole of Nottingham) was ravaged by the strongest tornado England has ever seen. Until yesterday I didn't even know England had seen a tornado. This caused all the surrounding homes and basic building to be destroyed. The bell tower also ended up in the church yard. Historians believe the tornado is rated at a grade 5. 

There is no exact date of when the first church of St Stephens was built  however the original building remained until the 1700s. The current church is the 5th one to be built. 

Another point of interest is that the church was indeed struck by a German bomb. Damaging some windows and some of the fonts, which weren't repaired until much later. And some incendiary bombs set the roof on fire. But this one was put out by the vicar at the time. Another bomb (500lbs) fell to the church yard to a depth of 12 feet. It failed to explode and was later excavated. 

If you have found these facts interesting then you can visit this website: 

https://southwellchurches.nottingham.ac.uk/sneinton-st-stephen/hhistory.php

My father has recently been appointed as the new vicar at st Stephens. If you are in the area or would like to talk more about the buildings history then you are most welcome to join us at the 9.30 mass every Sunday. 

On 2/21/2021 at 5:45 AM, mary1947 said:

Hi Hannah a big welcome   to the site, i look forward to your post's. I can remember (just) giong inside this house for our/ for want of a better word sex disscuison with Farther Tyson. We were married at St Steven's in 1965.

Sorry can't help much all I remember is the piano that stood in the background.if you look at St Ann's predemolition site you might find some thing on that, or maybe if you cantacted the church they just might help.  

Hopefully when this virus has slowed down a bit and we can once again go out would love to come and visit. 

I've recently visited and the piano is still there!! It has recently been restored as the frame had been badly damaged. All of the ivory keys have aged badly but it is still lovely to play!

On 5/11/2021 at 3:12 PM, Rod Connell said:

I remember this church when we had a youth club upstairs in the vicarage 1959 the vicar was the Reverund Father Tyson  

we had to attend church service on Sunday so as to use the club was the only stipulation. Had some great times there talking and playing music we would paint the walls in Rock"n "Roll pictures of our favourite artists have not been in contact with any one that used to go except one Pat Wright who I met in 1999 it would be nice to se all of them again if still around. 

Mary Vann, Malcolm Marsh, Carole, Jill, Dave, Pat Wright, Jonny Atkins, hellothere  Keep The Faith Rod 

Hey Rod! As you may have seen. My father is the new vicar at st Stephens as of two days ago. I've had the privilege of meeting the congregation of St Stephens and one of them was called Jill. Absolutely lovely lady. I will keep an eye out for the other names. You would be most welcome to come to one of the Sunday services. You may be able to re connect with some of your old friends! Hope this helps! 

God Bless, Mikey

On 5/11/2021 at 3:12 PM, Rod Connell said:

Hello again. I have just looked through the rest of this feed and found a video which must have you in it! It talks about your rock and roll club and how you had to go to the evening service in order to go to the club. There is a video on YouTube here: 

I am so fascinated by the history of St Stephens/sneinton! It would be amazing if you could find some of your old rock and roll buddies!!!!

• Like 1

Great post Michael, If I remember correctly, St Stephens underwent renovation, in 1908.

There's a lovely pic, roughly 

facing,  have nailed the frontage, music teacher, fits census, 

What's going on behind?

• 11 months later...

Hello again. I have just looked through the rest of this feed and found a video which must have you in it! It talks about your rock and roll club and how you had to go to the evening service in order to go to the club. There is a video on YouTube here: 

I am so fascinated by the history of St Stephens/sneinton! It would be amazing if you could find some of your old rock and roll buddies!!!!

• Like 2