St stephens church, Sneinton

Does anyone ever go to this church? I went when I was 6 and wonder what happlened to the Vicarage across the road, yet another neglected derelict property. The church was always dark and spooky. At this time I lived o St Chads Road opposite the King Edwards Park and attended Sneinton Church of England school until I was 8 and moved to 'posher' Carlton. I do have fond memories of that area but it is all so run down now. We had lots of small shops that are now no longer with no community spirit this I beleive is detriment to these aresas. !!!! aNYONE WITH ANY INPUT???

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello again. I have just looked through the rest of this feed and found a video which must have you in it! It talks about your rock and roll club and how you had to go to the evening service in order

Hello all,   This looks like a great community and I’ve really enjoyed reading about the history of Sneinton.   I’ve just purchased the vicarage on Windmill Lane. My husband and I hav

Anyone know any of the people in this old 1959 Pathé clip? We’re trying to track them down for an amazing event in Sneinton this autumn!    https://youtu.be/RbORetSEesA

Sorry, I can't help - but my mum and dad were married in St Stephens in 1938!

If it's the one I am thinking of is it near Trent lane ? If so we used it when I was in the A.T.C.

• 1 month later...

you are right about the shops my Dad had a wet fish shop on Manvers street, facing the bus depots for many years and Mum and Dad used to drink at the Billy and I plus my Brothers and Sisters sall went to St phillips school and also London Road School [it was Catholic} and also St Mary's.

Both my Sons attended Trent Bridge as I moved to the meadows after I got Married, and again it was ALL COUMUNITY SPIRIT

I went to school on Sneinton Dale..St Bernadettes..the headmaster was a guy called Jack Casey and I think his previous job was in the Gestapo..he wasn't fit to be in charge of kids and would be locked up nowdays.

Dennis I have replied to your message.

pete c....still riding a vespa

• 6 months later...

I lived on Leeshill street from 1979 untill 87 and remember St Stevens church with the dim street lighting it always had a sinister feel to me. The vicar durring this time as I recall was father Tyson if you ever needed him he could be found most nights at the Fox which at the time was a thriving pub owned and managed by Jeff Blythe .(now at the king billy).the vicarage was almost next door to the fox.Kieth Harris (orville and cuddles fame) married a local girl at st Stevens around about 87 providing st Stevens with a bit of media attention..I dont live in the area anymore but whenI last passed by the Fox was boarded up and looking in a sorry state .the same way many pubs have gone.

Did anyone know the vicar there in the early 70's?, I got to know him when I was working at the Diocesian Architects, and without going into detail, lets just say it wasn't a good idea to go round to the vicarage on your own if you were a young bloke, as my collegue did once. He was a nice chap, but......a bit much in some respects.

Is St Stevens the one on what become Trent Lane ??

If so the little fellow with the beard was our Padre at the ATC based at the far end of there.

Is St Stevens the one on what become Trent Lane ??

If so the little fellow with the beard was our Padre at the ATC based at the far end of there.

No St Stevens is on Sneinton Rd before it becomes Sneinton Dale opposite the bottom of Windmill lane.The vicar for the church in the 70s was Reverand Tyson who retired in the mid 80s and as far as I remember went to live in a church property in Southwell .I know very little of him but he was a small balding grey haired man who drank daily in the Fox

No St Stevens is on Sneinton Rd before it becomes Sneinton Dale opposite the bottom of Windmill lane.The vicar for the church in the 70s was Reverand Tyson who retired in the mid 80s and as far as I remember went to live in a church property in Southwell .I know very little of him but he was a small balding grey haired man who drank daily in the Fox

I remember this vicar, as a young child of 7 in mid 70s.... always noticed he stank strange- obviously it was alcohol !!!!! The church of st. stephens is a high church of scotland - which I feel has a service not disimilar to a catholic church.... I remember school friends having their confirmation done there, dressed up in "wedding dresses". Last time I saw this area (long time) the vicarage was boarded up and run down. It was a very large and nice looking house in its time

St Stephen's is very high Church of England. The priest (not vicar) wears a Roman collar and a biretta.

Similar to St Alban`s at the junction with Sneinton rd./Carlton rd. (since taken over by an orthodox church-not much difference-unless they also don`t give you a chair like the Russians!)A very angelic little lad named Stan used to sing in the choir there (a very convenient way in those days of getting the kids out of the house on Sunday mornings!)

Stan,

If my memory serves me correctly St Stephen's is now more correctly called St Stephen's with St Alban's.

Its strange why this part of Nottingham should have so many very "high" churches. There's also St Cyprian's and St Paul's.

And don't mess with a man with a biretta!

Fr-Fox-with-biretta.jpg

• 2 months later...

Does anyone remember the lovely garden parties they used to hold every year during the 40's and early 50's in St. Stephen's Church vicarage when the vicar was Father Thomas. We used to queue up on Windmill Lane until the gate opened to let us in. The weather on the day always seemed to be good. !jumping!

The headmistress of the church school next door was Miss Mobbs.

• 10 months later...

Does anyone remember the lovely garden parties they used to hold every year during the 40's and early 50's in St. Stephen's Church vicarage when the vicar was Father Thomas. We used to queue up on Windmill Lane until the gate opened to let us in. The weather on the day always seemed to be good. !jumping!

The headmistress of the church school next door was Miss Mobbs.

I remember father thomas very well,he was a vicar who really looked the part,silver hair,and ruddy face,we used to run out of school and he would swing us around by our hands,the headmistress miss mobbs lived in victoria avenue,and i also remember miss cottingham,mr. jobeson,miss slack who i think got married,miss cottingham,and the caretaker was mr.lees,wonderful memories.love to hear from old pupils from 50-56 when i was there,to see how everyone turned out.

Lupo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, As a new member today want to add a bit about St Stephen,s Church my sister married there in 1968 I was a bridesmaid, we had to fetch Father Tyson out of the Fox to marry her and Mum was upset because she had paid for bells 20pounds extra bet that was spent in the pub. Also I used to do a paper round for Cumberlands on Colwick road and after a dog attacked me on ( not sure of the name of the road) behind St Stephens Church I used to throw the newspaper over the church wall so that I didn,t have to deliver it. I also remember the Pleasure Park, Parnells Scrap Yard where we climbing over the wall after school found some paralle bars trying to imitate an olympic star jump off the bars had a nail go through my foot.

Used to ask for a penny for the Guy outside the Bendigo. Uncle used to make up firewood bundle in the caves under the train bridge at the bottom of Lees Hill steps I had to sell them door to door 3p a bundle. Oh I could go on forever.

Ayup Bergman , welcome aboard. Don't worry about going on , keep the memories coming, we love 'em!!

Thank you for your warm welcome, I also lived at the Wrestlers Pub 1960 it had been turned into flats corner of Sneinton Hollows and Castle Street.