mariag

St stephens church, Sneinton

Hi All, Been following your posts on and off for years...Great to hear all your comments as I was a Sneinton Girl from birth , born on Sneinton Road almost opposite the St Stephens church in my Granma and Great Granmas rented house.I went to Sneinton old school at 4 ( my mother camped outside heads office til he agreed to take me at Easter term) and then moved up to the new one when it opened.I was Rose Queen in 1967 or 1968 - still have a lovely photo somewhere and my sister was also Rose Queen in 1972.

My Granma locked horns with the vicar of St Stephens many times !! and after one such occasion  she insisted my Prarents got married in 1962  at St Matthias church instead. Father Tyson definitely was in The Fox most nights- it was a smirking point in the area and does anyone remember Ivor Gledhill Teacher at Sneinton School who also resided at the Vicarage for many years. I think they had something ' in common' if you know what i mean.  

Sneinton Girl and MariaG i think we will know each other from what you are posting. 

ask me any Sneinton questions - its all coming back to me now !!!

RoseQueen

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RoseQueen said:

Sneinton Girl and MariaG i think we will know each other from what you are posting. 

ask me any Sneinton questions - its all coming back to me now !!!

RoseQueen

Welcome to Nottstalgia RoseQueen.

It's interesting that you might know Sneinton Girl or MariaG and I hope you get a response, but neither of them have visited this site or posted anything for several years. However, if you have anything to tell us about your days in Sneinton, please let us know.

Greetings Cliff Ton, Thanks for noticing my post- I've been in lockdown for 8 weeks now and sadly I may just ramble on and on.......have pity, but it may be very interesting LOL.

cheers for now as its gin o clock but  i'll organise some postings very soon.

RoseQueen

One of my earliest memory's is Father Tyson dropping a bottle, smashed on the floor in the corner shop!!

Bless you..

I think most people in sneinton knew each other back in the days ,post ww2,i am sneinton born and bred,loved the place,we didn’t have two pennies to rub together,and were little tearaways,but the people of old sneinton were the best.

see all the names on here and try to remember who they might be,especially the ladies ,now most have married names.

wish there were more old time sneinton eras around now,be a better place .

cheers

Hi Lupo, Our family name is Payne ( not many of us about up north as is a Hampshire name) and my Dad was born in WW2 in Sneinton. We had friends named: Marsden (related to Tish the boxer), Raven...related to Vann,

Spencer ...related to Whitmore some of whom were related to Watson. Porter, Ingle and Hallam. All from close to St Stephens church / Windmill Lane.

Denny Staniforth was well known to my Parents(was there a senior and a junior ?) as was Oglesby's from Notintone Place, Billy Glossop the Grocer ( no legs in later life)

Daley the Newsagent off Sneinton rd.   Sisson - my Dad's best man, think his wife was related to the Terzza's.  I could go on and on !!!! Yes we were all poor but generally behaved fairly well.