Anyone used to go in Bobby Browns, or before it was called that The Empire.

Re-opened as Bobby Browns in 1989 I think. I used to collect glasses there. My 1st job.

I recall that when re-opening they planned to call it The Empire stikes back :-) much better name I reckon. Maybe George Lucas objected!

Of course it's been squashed now and replaced by some new orage brick building.

Which road was this on? The only Empire I remember is the pub that was on Mansfield Road, which has also been demolished.

Which road was this on? The only Empire I remember is the pub that was on Mansfield Road, which has also been demolished.

That's the very place. Right next to the BBC as was. Hence Bobby Browns Cafe.

In that case I do go in there occasionally, it was a handy little venue when you lived in the Vic Centre.

We sometimes used to meet up there on a Saturday night, they also used to put bands on occasionally.

In that case I do go in there occasionally, it was a handy little venue when you lived in the Vic Centre.

We sometimes used to meet up there on a Saturday night, they also used to put bands on occasionally.

Yes they used to have bands on in the week and sometimes Sundays.

Saw The Levellers there before they were succesful. Also Indie band Ride, remember them. The lead singer is in Oasis now playing bass I think.

Also Viv Stanshall, Sam Brown and Wholesome Fish seemed to live there. I think they're still going.

Anyone used to go in Bobby Browns, or before it was called that The Empire.

Re-opened as Bobby Browns in 1989 I think. I used to collect glasses there. My 1st job.

I recall that when re-opening they planned to call it The Empire stikes back :-) much better name I reckon. Maybe George Lucas objected!

Of course it's been squashed now and replaced by some new orage brick building.

My dentist Amarjit Gill, was either the owner, or part owner, and I recall doing a gig for him there, playing the sort of music I was "famous"? for on Trent. I dont think it was an overly busy night though

There used to be a cracking local band that played there from time to time (or maybe it was just once) - who remembers The Chettles?

My dentist Amarjit Gill, was either the owner, or part owner, and I recall doing a gig for him there, playing the sort of music I was "famous"? for on Trent. I dont think it was an overly busy night though

That's right, co owner with Jim Fisher.

Amarjit is my bro in law.

Re The Chettles.

Steve from The Chettles started Confetti studios behind the Palais. Still runs it as far as I know.

• 1 year later...
Yes they used to have bands on in the week and sometimes Sundays.

Saw The Levellers there before they were succesful. Also Indie band Ride, remember them. The lead singer is in Oasis now playing bass I think.

Also Viv Stanshall, Sam Brown and Wholesome Fish seemed to live there. I think they're still going.

Wholesome Fish take the stage today @ Dunkirk and Lenton Community Festival...........and its FREE .

dunkirklenton.jpg

That's right, co owner with Jim Fisher.

Amarjit is my bro in law.

Re The Chettles.

Steve from The Chettles started Confetti studios behind the Palais. Still runs it as far as I know.

Dawns brother?

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I think I remember it as The Roebuck (mentions that name on the link). Not sure I was ever tempted to pass over the threshold in the 70s/80s, it didn't look that appealing from outside if I remember correctly.

On a personal note, as a Mansfield Road 'veteran', I view most of the pubs on that side of the road similarly!

The Roebuck in the late 70's was run by a woman called Maxie, who dressed in men's clothes & wore comfortable shoes, if you get my drift.

There were 2 bars in the Roebuck, right hand bar was 'straight', left hand bar was 'gay' , my mate big Doug used to have his shirts handmade, & would pass them on to Maxie once he'd tired of them.

We (my bother Peteus, Doug & self) would visit the Roebuck most Sunday evenings on our regular 'pub tour', & once were invited to 'savour' the atmosphere of the left hand bar, what an eye opener!! Some drag queens, some pvc, lots of guys dressed similar to the Village People, with drooping moustaches....................very stereotypical of the times.....................

I'm reliably informed by a couple of worthies and ex-regulars tonight that the timeline of names went something like:

The Roebuck

Old Moores Taven/Moores Tavern

The Empire

Bobby Browns

Maxie was remembered!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

I was a student and worked in York House, 1994-7, and 1999-till we got chucked out and moved to Chaucer. A much missed landmark for me. We got let up onto the roof for the total eclipse - that was really spooky; it got freezing cold for a minute or two. Does anybody remember seeing Kevin Coyne play in Bobby Brown's?

I also remember a great café on Goldsmith Street, before NTU pulled them all down to build the Boots Library, anyone remember what that was called?