Can't recall where I heard this, or if it's actually true.

I was told that Dr Harold Shipman (the bearded murdering doctor chap) is from Nottingham and during his younger days lived on Danethorpe Vale in Sherwood. Creepy.

I used to live on Markham Crescent which is just up the hill from it.

Certainly true...

I was at High Pavement on Gainsford Crescent in the 50's, when he was there - in the year below...

Apparently, at that time he was living on Gainsford Crescent, merely yards from the school.

Can't claim to have any recollection of him, but those that do say he seemed to be OK - if perhaps rather quiet and introverted.

Cheers

Robt P.

• 3 months later...

cooooo,,,, I used to knock about with a couple of lads called Shipman,,,, I think their dad had an offy on Carlton Hill,,, just up & opposite from (I think) Nags Head,,,,,, wonder if they'r related ?

When it was in the news the T.V station showed shots of a house on Longmead Drive off Edwards lane where he apparently used to live.

I'd always understood that he lived on Longmead Drive on 'Spike Island' estate as they used to call it locally.

I'd always understood that he lived on Longmead Drive on 'Spike Island' estate as they used to call it locally.

Prior to High Pavement he went to Whitemoor Primary, Spike Island was also the name of the railway sidings of the Nottingham (Midland Railway) Goods Shed (a mine of useless information!

• 1 year later...

Used to work at this place where letters were sent to Drs and hospitals from a database, and his name was on it with instructions sayiny Urgent please, NO CONTACT

Prior to High Pavement he went to Whitemoor Primary, Spike Island was also the name of the railway sidings of the Nottingham (Midland Railway) Goods Shed (a mine of useless information!

That's right, he went to Whitemoor, same school as my Mrs.

Longmead Drive it was !

His dad was a lorry driver.

Have read a book about him & he was fascinated to see his mum drugged up on Morphine when she was terminally ill with cancer, as a young lad. That certainly explains a few things !

and our John and Ian, remember the little chubby lad? now 36 and 6ft 4in, and just had hip replacement

6'4'??!?, which one was the footballer Ashley?, and how did he get on?

• 3 months later...

WOW - this is dragging up some very hazy stuff from the past.

I do recall there was a guy called Shipman at High Pavement in the early 60's. I seem to recall his dad was a scrap metal dealer - not sure where from, it may have been Bulwell or Basford. He was a bit of an outcast and a loner but that was because he was a rocker and all the guys in HP at the time were mods. As I remember it he always came to school with a leather jacket over his (bloody awful) brown blazer.

In fact, now I think about it, I'm sure he was in my class, 3G and 4G. I left at the end of the fourth year.

• 3 years later...

Just been a programme on Channel 5 about him.....It showed a birth certificate and I got a glimpse of 163 Longmead Drive.....They showed some tv footage of the house....a mid town house.......How creepy it would be to live their now....I wonder if the owners know of their houses past.

Longmead Drive is on Edwards Lane Estate. The only other houses are three story terraced houses between Rosecroft Drive and Sherbrooke Road. It must have been one of those

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was at High Pavement with him for a few years although he was a few years older than me.  We are on the same school photo.

Col