• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before the World Famous City Ground rose up on the banks of the River Trent  

By reputation he'd give you something, not sure if it was tickets...

Posted Images

Seems they played there twice 69 & 71.

Interesting site and quotes, which weren't quite right, one of them said you could pay on the door, not so, members only anyway. Another said you had to attend 4 previous gigs, not true, tickets were given out at the previous weeks Rennaisance concert, we must have also been qeueing with this bloke as we got there at the same time, taking turns to walk along the Trent and have a 'smoke'. Silly boy should have gone straight to the bar instead of ending up with his head in Plants groin. The band wisely used practice amps and speakers which kept the sound down so that the hundreds of people outside probably didn't hear very much.

Plants first words as his head was nearly touching the ceiling was that he'd forgotten how small the place was.

The set started with new rocking numbers off Zep IV followed by an accoustic session including Stairway to Heaven, previously unheard, then a request session, when to my horror Page pointed at me and I asked him to play Communication Breakdown which with a smile he launched straight into.

Probably one of the best concerts I went to anywhere.

The 69 concert we missed, I found one of my mates at the bus stop and he said he was off to the Boat to see some new band called Graf Zeppelin or something.

Later on while we were drinking in the Rodney, he turned up saying they were noisy and crap so he left in disgust. A few years ago, I reminded him of this and he was appalled at what he had done, poor lad.

Didnt think anyone else remembered these......excellent girl band

got all their cd's and some vinyls

Still got a free disc (one of those flimsy 45's, probably given away in NME) somewhere. Blind Alley and two or three others tracks. Very good!

• 2 months later...
Didnt think anyone else remembered these......excellent girl band

got all their cd's and some vinyls

Remember the boat club very well..fell off the balcony a few times too......then also got in without paying a few times that way.

the the Silver Slipper once every month

Well, they were OK..............I have a couple of albums and brilliant they ain't. Still, they did have balls which is probably why Pat played 'em! Right after Nazareth doing 'Dear John' if I remember correctly and then followed by Jo Jo Gunne - Brilliant segue Pat! !jumping!

What really bugged me was that the mix of Charity Ball on the album is completely different from the 45 - no edge to it at all!

CDs? I thought there was just the one - very expensive one - on Amazon!

CDs? I thought there was just the one - very expensive one - on Amazon!

Nah...Ok not all of their Albums have become CDs ( cept when you do em yerself like me ) ...Mothers Pride DID become CD.....and I have at least 5 different Live CDs.. ( with a few studio demos tacked on em )

• 2 weeks later...
Nah...Ok not all of their Albums have become CDs ( cept when you do em yerself like me ) ...Mothers Pride DID become CD.....and I have at least 5 different Live CDs.. ( with a few studio demos tacked on em )

You can download "First Time in a Long Time" a Fanny 4 CD box set for £7.99 from iTunes

Remember seeing the Bee Gees at the Brit,there were only about 10-15 people as it was poring with rain. Read an article about the Bee Gees and they remember that night because of the small crowd and their dressing room(downstairs where the rowing boats are stored)was flooded

Best show I ever saw even to this day was Fleetwood Mac at the Union,sweat was dripping from the walls

Welcome Ray.

What year was that?

Must have been 68/69 ,they had three lead guitars Jeremy Spencer,Peter Green and Danny Kirwin

Fleetwood Mac played the Union quite a few times in the late 60's early 70's. Kevin (manager @ the Union) used to ring 'em up & ask when they could come up & play. If they had a free Sat/Sun, they would do a gig there.. Great stuff!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Budgie were regulars down at the Boat and I saw them quite a few times, I remember on one occassion they were painfully loud. I think Trapeze and Robin Trower were my favourite visitors.

Interesting, there have been a few live albums recorded down there, those that spring to mind are Trapeze, Strife, Crawler

• Upvote 2