• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before the World Famous City Ground rose up on the banks of the River Trent  

By reputation he'd give you something, not sure if it was tickets...

Posted Images

• 3 years later...

I knew the boat clubs long before they became music venues. When I was at Mellish, in my first year, around   1955, I joined the rowing club as cox to first four. We were based at Brit and other schools like High Pavement, Becket and High School were situated at the other clubs. We kept two boats there and trained all year round for the summer regatta season  when we competed all over the country. I still have a small trophy, ‘The Butcher Cup 1956’, the only cup I’ve ever won! We trained on Wednesday afternoons and Saturday mornings, usually rowing between the power station and Lady Bay Bridge. The only downside was when we won a race the cox was ceremonially chucked in the river. I remember having to swim two lengths of Northern Baths, Basford, fully clothed, to demonstrate my competence to survive a capsize.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I visited the Nottm Rowing Club about 7 years ago with the ambition of joining a veterans crew. They were starting beginner sessions and I was keen to get on the water. My appointment with a coach went well and I was given a session on an indoor rower. I had just won British gold in the 70+ age group so no problem with fitness. The coach said that due to my age the club captain must be consulted and that I would be contacted about the starter sessions. I heard no more. This was after a lot of 'hoohaa' about rowing being for anyone. A load of balony. One of my few regrets is that I never raced on the water.

• Upvote 1

Racing on the water when you’re at the helm of an 8 is a tremendous experience. Eight big blokes rowing their guts out. It’s like driving a speedboat but you’ve got to take special care not to clash oars with the opposing crew. You have to shout loud enough to be heard at the far end of the boat - makes you very hoarse after a race!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...
On 6/17/2004 at 10:56 PM, admin said:

The one at the side of Woolies was the 8-till-Late.

You were give a light meal to then comply with licencing laws, which required you to eat to be able to drink late :o

Remember it well. A leg of chicken & chips IIRC. Only went a couple of times. Usually headed for The Ad Lib in the Lace Market after they stopped serving in The Flying Horse at 10:30. This was around 1970-1. 
I've been trying to remember the name of the bloke in the dinner jacket who used to stand outside The Flying Horse giving out the free tickets for The Ad Lib Club.

2 hours ago, Mess said:

I've been trying to remember the name of the bloke in the dinner jacket who used to stand outside The Flying Horse giving out the free tickets for The Ad Lib Club.

It was Albert Brown probably

1 hour ago, LizzieM said:

It was Albert Brown probably

By reputation he'd give you something, not sure if it was tickets...

• Like 1