Anyone caught up in the Nottm punk scene in the late 70s? (Yes there was one).

Go down Sandpiper or even Katies in Beeston? See the Clash at the Palais in 77 (oh yes!)

What about Sham at Pipers when they had to use the black guys from ad lib next door as stage security? Remember the Bollocks court case centred around Virgin window display in Nottingham?

Bash any teds or hippies? Get bashed?

Love to hear. Remind me of fun times. Punked 4ever.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's a sign of the times - and makes me feel old - that all the old punks are now middle-aged or older, and coming out of the woodwork to be all nostalgic and reminisce about the good old days when th

We played the Sandpiper in 1978 in the Nottingham New Wave Festival…reviewed in the NME.    and I also saw loads of bands there. Sham 69, Human League, X Ray Spex, Rezillos,  Slaughter and the

I used to visit the Sandpiper occasionally but that tended to be subject to what else was around at the time and it seemed everytime I went, Some Chicken were on! No problem with that but they tended to be late replacements for somebody who couldn't make it. Anyway, I always found those stairs difficult after a few beers!

I do remember the Sex Pistols trial - I somehow found myself at the after trial party at the Flying Horse. I think Lydon and Branson were there.

Never really a great fan of punk but I did like Dury, TRB, The Clash, early Police, Stranglers but I tend to regard them as rock bands rather than punk. The best punk gig I went to was Penetration at the University.

Didn't the Sandpiper start out as Pharoahs? Without a drinks licence? Then it became the Sandpiper and finally - I think - the Final solution? It's where I started my career as a DJ! Half a Schweppes box of soul singles and about three very young soul fans on the floor at any one time. Always wanting records I'd never heard of!

Can anyone remember the name of the guy that owned it - He was blonde, not very tall and I think he went on to open the first beerkellar at the top of Arkwright Street. Pete something?

C

The only staff member I remember was the doorman. He was youngish though older than most customers, not very big and a very smart ted/rockabilly.

His arms were covered in tats and his legs were crippled somehow though he was very mobile.

Quiet chap.

What year was that?

The only doorman that I remember on crutches was Mark

(Silver Fox One on CB) From Radcliffe?

Ian will know him

I hope Alex didn't go away over the little matter of a car accident in a spitfire?

Well the other Pete went out with a barmaid called little Norma. Little Norma was Calvin Palmer's wife at one point but later on married Micke Norton, who for a while managed Annabelles which (so I believe, had some of the best orgies ever while he was there) was kind of post Norma.

Now me and Norma were bezzie mates for a long time and if any of you out there know where she might be - I'd love to know.

C

Nope - they lived on George Road (off musters). I lived at Julie Warwick's house on the Epperstone road. One day, Norma and Julie stole a carpet out of a house for sale on Epperstone and dragged it to Norma's house (it was the 70s). They were very pleased with themselves till I pointed to the trail of carpet fluff, so there they were at about 7am hoovering Epperstone road! They were good times really!

An incident? Hmm, sounds bad. I liked Alex, he was a cool guy. The only other guys I knew that went on holiday were Mick Wallis - after shunting a car into the foundations of a new building across from the Penny. Unfortunately, the car was occupied at the time. Anyone remember Micky? Then there was Ginger - Mick's brother and well-hard as they say. He liked going away because the food was regular!

Someone must know what happended to Alex, Keith and Pat - c'mon guys dig deep into those memories!

C

sorry it was mike wallis that lived on the wells road with annie ( think she worked adlib) does anyone remember Trev wood, married to chinese Paula , lived hyson green flats, then crabtree farm then beeston....great wedding reception 1973 the blue orchid at draycott......

thanks for the info radfordred...is he still with paula?

Must admit never heard of Paula , but if we are talking about the same Trev he used to run the door @ the old Stork club on Alfreton road - Bulwell lad ?

• 4 weeks later...
Didn't the Sandpiper start out as Pharoahs? Without a drinks licence? Then it became the Sandpiper and finally - I think - the Final solution? It's where I started my career as a DJ! Half a Schweppes box of soul singles and about three very young soul fans on the floor at any one time. Always wanting records I'd never heard of!

Can anyone remember the name of the guy that owned it - He was blonde, not very tall and I think he went on to open the first beerkellar at the top of Arkwright Street. Pete something?

C

theguy your thinking of name is or was pete groves. i used to go to sandpipers most weekends not abad club.

I remember smashing my head on the beams in there the night the dammned played..Good times.. :rolleyes:

Remember the snow ball fights that night (As you can guess I was there too)

I used to visit the Sandpiper occasionally but that tended to be subject to what else was around at the time and it seemed everytime I went, Some Chicken were on! No problem with that but they tended to be late replacements for somebody who couldn't make it. Anyway, I always found those stairs difficult after a few beers!

I do remember the Sex Pistols trial - I somehow found myself at the after trial party at the Flying Horse. I think Lydon and Branson were there.

Never really a great fan of punk but I did like Dury, TRB, The Clash, early Police, Stranglers but I tend to regard them as rock bands rather than punk. The best punk gig I went to was Penetration at the University.

"Some Chicken" - hey! haven't heard that name since...! well, since the last night I saw them..I guess around '80 - bizarrely I can't remember what they were like, but I do remember we used to call them some turkey :biggrin: for me working evenings it was great to be able to see a band after work where previously most bands started around 9-10, but Punk era they only came on late when they were thouroughly rat-ars*d lol

thanks for the info Dez....pete groves, whatever happened to him and pete garfoot? did you know alex Dez, cause me and charlie are trying to contact him?

hello hippo girl, sorry cant help you with alex must have met him at some time but i cant remember him. pete groves and pete garfoot iv not seen since about 1980.

Go down Sandpiper or even Katies in Beeston? See the Clash at the Palais in 77 (oh yes!)

What about Sham at Pipers when they had to use the black guys from ad lib next door as stage security? Remember the Bollocks court case centred around Virgin window display in Nottingham?

Just caught up with this post. I certainly remember Katie's and Sandpiper, i used to dj at both back in 76/77 ish.

A guy called dave nettleton tracked me down through a fanzine i was doing at the time and asked me to dj at Katies,

there were only about a dozen punk singles out by then so it was a pretty boring set most nights. remember xtc, tom robinson, lurkers, the depressions all played there. Nettleton then took the show on to Sandpiper, where i dj'ed until one fateful night when, i believe it was the cortinas were playing, and me and a couple of mates got on stage and picked up their gear and did a very short impromptu set.

The boss man there, Pete(?) kicked us out and i was banned for life!! Very punk!! But i was dj'ing there the night The Ants played, and Sham, Magazine, there must have been lots more, but it's been a while.

And yes, I remember the Clash at the Palais, with Buzzcocks supporting, managed to get backstage and lig. Did you see the Nottm Punk Fest, in the old Vicci baths, Adverts, ATV, Chelsea, probabbly about may 77 ??

Someone mentioned the rockabilly bouncer at Sandpipers, I remember him well, but not his name, was it george ?? The bouncer i was most fond of was Tuggy, who seemed to be about 8ft tall, a huge jamaican bloke but a gentle soul, he'd never gotten into a fight, coz no-one would have been stupid enough!!

I was definately caught up in the punk scene. I saw the Damned, Adverts, Slaughter & the Dogs and Adam & The Ants at Sandpipers, although I was still at school!! I also used to go to Katies in Beeston, I think I saw a local Punk band there called The Stukas. I got my head kicked in loads of times. I got beat up by Teds in Broadmarsh. Looking back, it's pretty odd, they were about 40 years old and I was a kid, what was that all about?. I got beaten up so badley by Skinheads, after a night at the Pipers, that I had to go to hospital. I told my mum I had fallen down the subway stairs on Maid Marian Way!!

I knew I'd seen the Clash in Nottingham, but couldn't remeber where!! That's age for you. It must have been the Palais, I know it was '77, but I thought it was a smaller venue. I used to travel all over to see groups. saw XRay Spex, Eater, The Damned loads( my personal favourites), early Siouxsie, Adam & The Ants, Unwanted, 999, Vibrators,etc etc all in 77-78-79. A couple of times at The Roxy club in London. I missed the Sex Pistols in Sheffield, my brother went, but my mum made me stay in as a punishment for something or other, how Punk is that?