Saw a few of those bands, not forgetting the Rezillos, great live & on record, another recollection I have is of seeing a band at the Piper called (I think) Gruppo Sportivo, they could have been Dutch, great gig - bit difficult to describe, at the end of the set they threw a signed copy of their album into the crowd, as it launched the vinyl came out of the sleeve - I lunged for the album & grabbed it, a few minutes later the guy who had caught the sleeve ambled over to me grinning & said "I've got the sleeve" in a sort of profound way, I then said yes, but I have the album, he looked at me for what seemed like ages, yes, still grinning, after which time he handed me the sleeve & dissapeared, funny the things you remember :Fool:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's a sign of the times - and makes me feel old - that all the old punks are now middle-aged or older, and coming out of the woodwork to be all nostalgic and reminisce about the good old days when th

We played the Sandpiper in 1978 in the Nottingham New Wave Festival…reviewed in the NME.    and I also saw loads of bands there. Sham 69, Human League, X Ray Spex, Rezillos,  Slaughter and the

Just caught up with this post. I certainly remember Katie's and Sandpiper, i used to dj at both back in 76/77 ish.

A guy called dave nettleton tracked me down through a fanzine i was doing at the time and asked me to dj at Katies,

there were only about a dozen punk singles out by then so it was a pretty boring set most nights. remember xtc, tom robinson, lurkers, the depressions all played there. Nettleton then took the show on to Sandpiper, where i dj'ed until one fateful night when, i believe it was the cortinas were playing, and me and a couple of mates got on stage and picked up their gear and did a very short impromptu set.

The boss man there, Pete(?) kicked us out and i was banned for life!! Very punk!! But i was dj'ing there the night The Ants played, and Sham, Magazine, there must have been lots more, but it's been a while.

And yes, I remember the Clash at the Palais, with Buzzcocks supporting, managed to get backstage and lig. Did you see the Nottm Punk Fest, in the old Vicci baths, Adverts, ATV, Chelsea, probabbly about may 77 ??

Someone mentioned the rockabilly bouncer at Sandpipers, I remember him well, but not his name, was it george ?? The bouncer i was most fond of was Tuggy, who seemed to be about 8ft tall, a huge jamaican bloke but a gentle soul, he'd never gotten into a fight, coz no-one would have been stupid enough!!

This is brilliant for my rapidly reducing memory!!I knew I'd seen Magazine in Nottingham. At the time I thought Nottingham had a terrible music scene, but looking back & reading these comments it was as lively as most other cities, it seems. Wonder why we never produced a great Punk Band?

I'm furious I missed the Cortina's playing, I loved them. I knew the Rockabilly bouncer, his name was definately George. Had a reputation for being as hard as nails, never saw him actually throw anyone out tho'.

Does anyone remember the Punk club at the ICC on Mansfield road on a Saturday afternoon? Like lots have already said the music was very limited to a few records.

Now, I'm convinced I saw The Cramps play at Sandpipers, very early in thier career-long before any real kind of fame. Lux interior was handing out plastic fangs to us outside. But I'm just doubting it could have been Sandpipers - but where else?

I saw the Rezzilos (Top of the pops great track) somewhere it must have been there

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ahh the Sandpiper,the good days...

appar the singer ( Mark) from Some Chicken died a while ago,something to do with heart probs :mellow:

I held a couple of my bday parties down there and had the Drains and Some Chicken play,that was fun times..

i remember the floor used to be covered in spit near the stage and also remember a guy called Mark Marshall who i think played in a band and had this thing for eating glass( with blood pouring from his mouth) and cutting his arms and chest to ribbons with it,i wonder where he is now..

i reckon if there was ever a fire no one wouldve got out alive lol

Did Anyone Say Welcome Shaz

WELCOME SHAZ

!jumping!

aww why thankies

Yer Welcome...

Nah lets see sum posts from yer :rolleyes:

lol have done a couple already,the comps being a brainfart today compusmash

• 9 months later...
Ahh the Sandpiper,the good days...

appar the singer ( Mark) from Some Chicken died a while ago,something to do with heart probs :mellow:

I held a couple of my bday parties down there and had the Drains and Some Chicken play,that was fun times..

i remember the floor used to be covered in spit near the stage and also remember a guy called Mark Marshall who i think played in a band and had this thing for eating glass( with blood pouring from his mouth) and cutting his arms and chest to ribbons with it,i wonder where he is now..

i reckon if there was ever a fire no one wouldve got out alive lol

• 8 months later...

yes john lydon was their i was listening to a guy on radio nottingham who was quiet young at time about 17 or 18 i think who asked john lydon for a interview who nicely said [yeah no problem] this kid apperently intreviewed him for about 25 miinutes, not so rotten old john.

I saw the Rezzilos (Top of the pops great track) somewhere it must have been there

In the 70's my ex got a job at an advertising agency in Witham, Essex, the reason being that her predecessor had quit the job in order to become the drummer with the Rezzillos. Inevitably we were personally invited to one of their concerts, we weren't allowed in at first as we looked 'too normal', matey had to come to the door to let us in, I think that they thought we were undercover police. We stood at the back in order to avoid the constant stream of gob from the audience, not the greatest concert I ever went to. Personally I hated punk, it seemed to consist of a load of spotty youths with some kind of problem who couldn't play more than 3 chords, however, it proved a point and kicked the grandiose self congratulatory acid bands into touch and we were all the better for it, and great bands like the Clash developed as a consequence, Sex Pistols, please, get round the hype and they were'nt worthy of playing at the Imperial, a well over publicised band over nothing. I have Never Mind the B......but it doesn't do anything for me I'm afraid, we were, or some of us, were all conned by the management, the consequential publicity, and the need to make money out of contraversy.

I have just read this and had to dive on to youtube and find "Top of the Pops" by the Rezzilos, and as I mentioned in the WELCOME TO NOTTSTALGIA 2.3.3 thread, I got to moving through loads of different tunes and having a good few memories over each track.

I eventually found a track that I had searched for, for years (And I mean years!!!) I heard it on Radio Trent back in the day and simply fell in love with it. I searched a few record stores and was unable to track it down (Did you see what I did there???....LOL) I even tried good old Rob Smith at Robs Records , but he'd never heard of it, as it had not charted in the UK.

It never dawned on me to look on youtube!

Any way as I said I have just found this on Youtube, it's made my year!!!!!

Won ton ton , I lie and I cheat. I think they come from Belgium

Did I mention I love this track !!!!

This video is a bit naff, but those lyrics!!

Any body got a copy of it they don't want ??

Just tracked a copy of their Album down on Amazon ..............................£47.69p !!!!!

I think I'll stick to Youtube !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 months later...

Uganda?

• 2 weeks later...

I was DJ at the Tally Ho about 1971,

Dont remember him, but there were a lot of Black Guys :)

The only name I remember from the Tally Ho was George "likkle blackie" Peck.

It was run by Albert and Inga, and managed by Frank Sutcliffe at that time.

Tally ho was a coffee bar...the only reason Albert got his club liquor licence was 'cos he convinced magistrates it was needed for the local black population.

• 10 months later...