• 2 months later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's a sign of the times - and makes me feel old - that all the old punks are now middle-aged or older, and coming out of the woodwork to be all nostalgic and reminisce about the good old days when th

We played the Sandpiper in 1978 in the Nottingham New Wave Festival…reviewed in the NME.    and I also saw loads of bands there. Sham 69, Human League, X Ray Spex, Rezillos,  Slaughter and the

• 5 months later...

I'm pretty sure that was 1978 as we went to the Sham 69 gig and it was one of their last ones (They didn't break up , they just stopped live gigs after a particularly hairy moment or two at (IMMSC)Middlesex Polytechnic later in 78 ??)

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

OYou are right the cramps did play the sandpiper, it was a night off from supporting the police

Amazing gig the original lineup with Bryan Gregory, from that night on I was a Rockabilly fan, from my fading memory it was not well attended maybe 30 people,  pretty sure it was 1979, anybody here remember seeing Siouxsie and the banshees at Katie's in beeston maybe 1977

• 11 months later...

The night Sham played the Sandpiper...

the place was jammers..jimmy pursey  began Ulster Boy...and the place went mad..first time i ever saw plastic pint glasses.

Seem to recall 2 bouncers bare chested on the stage.

Ligged at the portland building when the delish Gaye Advert played.

• 10 months later...
On 2/27/2018 at 7:52 PM, IAN123. said:

The night Sham played the Sandpiper...

the place was jammers..jimmy pursey  began Ulster Boy...and the place went mad..first time i ever saw plastic pint glasses.

Seem to recall 2 bouncers bare chested on the stage.

Ligged at the portland building when the delish Gaye Advert played.

I was there too ‘cos my mate’s band, The Turbines, were backing them.

Chris, my bass playing mate in the band, told me Pursey’s mum was backstage sorting his hair out.

There’s other details too which I recounted in my first ever NS post. I won’t repeat them as at the time I didn’t realise this wasn’t the type of place for unsavoury posts. 

S’pose it’s still there in the ether tho’.

• Like 1

Alan..think it was Hippo Girl that told me ..the two bouncers were brought in last minute from Annabells or some such place. Simon Fisher ..i think photographed this and the Ultravox! gig. Sadly as i recall Jimmy had 'unwanted' dealings with a Radio.I and TV star...JK..alledgelly.

• Like 1

@IAN123.  

I've come across that bloke's pics before, he had some "unknown band" pics some of which were of The Turbines so I let him know who they were.

You prompted me to have another look and this time I noticed there was a section dedicated to the punters.........And there I am!! Well the back of me. Leather bike jacket with scuffed / torn right shoulder caused when a Moggy 1000 pulled away from the kerb without looking & ran me over as I was overtaking it. Couldn't do owt about it as I wasn't insured.

My girlfriend Jayne to my left and Jane, the bass guitarists girlfriend, in the middle.

Dunno if this link will work but uploading pics on here has me baffled,

Cheers, Alan.

http://www.smfpics.com/backcat/sandpiper/people/Scan10456.html

• Like 1
On 12/29/2018 at 1:36 PM, IAN123. said:

Alan..think it was Hippo Girl that told me ..the two bouncers were brought in last minute from Annabells or some such place. Simon Fisher ..i think photographed this and the Ultravox! gig. Sadly as i recall Jimmy had 'unwanted' dealings with a Radio.I and TV star...JK..alledgelly.

Ian, the bloke's name is Steve Fisher and I contacted him to buy the pic. He got back to say he'd found six others, he sent me some thumbnails, and was I interested in those too? Since then he's found four more and there's some cracking pics amongst them. He's busy cleaning them up or whatever photographers do to 40 year old negatives and I should have them in a couple of days.

Alan.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Things have taken a slightly weird turn, got this from the photographer;

Alan, 

Thanks got the payment, will save the beer for the weekend. 

Have found another photo ( see attached ) is this you? 

I have been running some of my old photo scans through a facial recognition program and it matched Jayne. Think this was from a party at Ruddington Coop? 

Don't ask were this neg is, I scanned it in 2014 in the middle of some bike pics. 

The facial recognition program has so far been running for 2 days solid and found ( or so it thinks ) over 150,000 individuals, it could take a long time to sort out.

It is me but I have no recollection of it. Cracking pic tho’. If I master posting pics up on here I’ll stick some of them up.

Alan

• Like 1

Someone mentioned A Forest by The Cure late last year.1979-06-07-england.jpgHere they are at The Topper..i bagsed them for a fiver at Tiffs.

Barbarellas was a good spot..saw Duran Duran in that place..you could see they were going onto bigger things.

We all sang "Georgie Davis is coming out".

IAN 123 

When you say The Grey Topper do you mean the nightclub that used to be in Jacksdale?

Neerrr SOLD OUT 

My neighbour next to me has a book on all the acts that were on at the Topper will see if I can get old of it,

PS  At least its made my son smile.

Just found out that Glad!! is not on this year ok so I told a little white lie.