On 8/15/2008 at 3:09 PM, Shaz said:

Ahh the Sandpiper,the good days...

appar the singer ( Mark) from Some Chicken died a while ago,something to do with heart probs :mellow:

I held a couple of my bday parties down there and had the Drains and Some Chicken play,that was fun times..

i remember the floor used to be covered in spit near the stage and also remember a guy called Mark Marshall who i think played in a band and had this thing for eating glass( with blood pouring from his mouth) and cutting his arms and chest to ribbons with it,i wonder where he is now..

i reckon if there was ever a fire no one wouldve got out alive lol

I knew Mark Marshall well, the band were called controlled chaos my mate Pete Moss was lead singer, Robbo guitar Hodgo drums and of course Mark bass he thought he was the next Sid . I still see Mossy and Robbo , it’s well over 40 years now 

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's a sign of the times - and makes me feel old - that all the old punks are now middle-aged or older, and coming out of the woodwork to be all nostalgic and reminisce about the good old days when th

We played the Sandpiper in 1978 in the Nottingham New Wave Festival…reviewed in the NME.    and I also saw loads of bands there. Sham 69, Human League, X Ray Spex, Rezillos,  Slaughter and the

On 6/28/2008 at 8:53 AM, Stuart Swift said:

This is brilliant for my rapidly reducing memory!!I knew I'd seen Magazine in Nottingham. At the time I thought Nottingham had a terrible music scene, but looking back & reading these comments it was as lively as most other cities, it seems. Wonder why we never produced a great Punk Band?

I'm furious I missed the Cortina's playing, I loved them. I knew the Rockabilly bouncer, his name was definately George. Had a reputation for being as hard as nails, never saw him actually throw anyone out tho'.

Does anyone remember the Punk club at the ICC on Mansfield road on a Saturday afternoon? Like lots have already said the music was very limited to a few records.

Now, I'm convinced I saw The Cramps play at Sandpipers, very early in thier career-long before any real kind of fame. Lux interior was handing out plastic fangs to us outside. But I'm just doubting it could have been Sandpipers - but where else?

I remember George. Loved the guy. He always looked after us youngsters often pulling me over the crowd at the door to get in. He also worked the door at the Ajanta. Plenty of bands their in my time. Subs, Rejects, later Bauhaus and Joy Division. Always on the train from Notts after collecting 10p’s from folks in the market square inbetween scaring the customers in the cafe upstairs at Debenhams lol. The Cramps gig could have been the boat club??

• 1 year later...
On 3/8/2017 at 11:44 PM, rockindad said:

OYou are right the cramps did play the sandpiper, it was a night off from supporting the police

Amazing gig the original lineup with Bryan Gregory, from that night on I was a Rockabilly fan, from my fading memory it was not well attended maybe 30 people,  pretty sure it was 1979, anybody here remember seeing Siouxsie and the banshees at Katie's in beeston maybe 1977

I was the drummer of the Blitz Kidz who supported S & the B that night - November 1977. They used all our band gear as they hadn't brought any of their own. The drummer went through my bass drum skin lol.

We played the Sandpiper in 1978 in the Nottingham New Wave Festival…reviewed in the NME. 

and I also saw loads of bands there. Sham 69, Human League, X Ray Spex, Rezillos,  Slaughter and the Dogs. I used to work as a ‘humper’ to help the bands get their gear in and out. Free entry and a few quid as well from Pete who ran the club. Meant a very late night as we had to reload the vans after the gig had finished. Humping the gear up a set of very narrow back stairs at the club.

When the Angelic Upstarts came Pete asked us to be security as well. Maybe his regular bouncers had a night off? That was a bloody nightmare with a load of Geordie skinheads offering to ‘help’ us with the job. I was about 16 and going to the Becket, acting as muscle for that gig was way beyond my pay grade. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I was a bit too ‘grown up’ by then to be a punk and never went to the Sandpiper (although I did go to Pharoahs which was its predecessor and in the same building on Broadway). Peter Groves is a good friend of a good friend of mine! 

It's a sign of the times - and makes me feel old - that all the old punks are now middle-aged or older, and coming out of the woodwork to be all nostalgic and reminisce about the good old days when they walked around town with their safety pins and green hair.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...