'favourite Motown tracks of the day'

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whilst working in in Detroit I took the opportunity to visit Hitsville USA, the Motown Museum. I have to say it was fanbloodytastic. It tells the story from the early days of Tamla. They had Mich

In a recent survey on Soul Source this Motown record was voted best ever. The vocals of Levi Stubbs make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.

Might be a time to re-post my live recording of The Four Tops at the Odeon in the early 70s . I am sure that Still Waters was their current single at the time (unfortunately not on this bit ) . Abs

Nice song....U sure you're not trying to pull the " I found a rare track" card though?????? :)

No Craig....would I really do that...me!!!....I have recently got The Complete Motown Singles...Eleven volumes!..hundreds of motown tracks a lot I'd never heard before...

Pete C..........

All very nice and all that, but let's get down to the important stuff...

What about the Vespa?

• 10 months later...

It's gotta be: 'Sweet Soul Music' by Arthur Conley.

For the benefit of mudgie: :smile:

hi mudgie, I was waiting in the queue at the bank a few weeks ago when the above began playing; well of course - not to let myself down - I began dancing on the spot. Everybody must have thought I was bonkers - I am but only slightly - but I ask you playing this in a bank queue, what do they expect? Who Cares? Luv this record . .

boombox2

Hi Jackson,no more 'bonkers' than the rest of us,remember we are the 'music generation'.The amount of music around us was incredible,and we had easier access than any generation before :crazy:

I OFTEN DANCE AND SING ALONG TO BACK GROUND MUSIC IN SHOPS EVEN THOUGH I CARNT SING AND CAN NOT DANCE VERY WELL THESE DAYS

Good for you Babs.

I wonder if music is played deliberately in some shops to make us happy; hence we're not going to be so bothered about how much we spend? :biggrin:

The worst - or should I say best? - place for this is Wilko's when they play 60's music. Things have certainly come on since that time when we danced to this music down the Locarno: now we can dance to the same music and go shopping at the same time! :biggrin:

A shout for the 'pound shop' (I'm not sure which brand it is) in the Victoria Centre near Tesco. The music in there is invariably good - especially if you like soul! Probably worth a pound!

• 1 month later...

I bought a CD from Tesco yesterday, titled: 'Young, Gifted & Black' 20 Classic Reggae Hits, it cost all of £2 and I can well recommend it. The sound is Superb, the choice of music is too.

Included is:

Liquidator / Harry J & The Allstars (fantastic sound on this)

Double Barrel / Dave and Ansel Collins

Wonderful World, Beautiful People / Jimmy Cliff

Sideshow / Barry Biggs

Hurt So Good / Susan Cadogan (so lovely to hear this again)

Lots of other good ones too. Not being greedy but I may go and buy another one of the same tomorrow - in case I wear this one playing it - with it being so good! :)

'The Temptations' performing live on stage were so 'tight',in sound and movement.

Like many of the members on this site, we had the good fortune to see the 'Motown' artists live on stage.

Having one favorite song or artist from the 'Motown era' is impossible for me.

You remember one!,as soon as you post it, another one comes to mind.

My own favorites were the 'Four Tops',that unmistakable voice of the late, Levi Stubbs.

All the different sets of Drifters, never the same line up twice..................but still great................. :biggrin: