'favourite Motown tracks of the day'

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whilst working in in Detroit I took the opportunity to visit Hitsville USA, the Motown Museum. I have to say it was fanbloodytastic. It tells the story from the early days of Tamla. They had Mich

In a recent survey on Soul Source this Motown record was voted best ever. The vocals of Levi Stubbs make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.

Might be a time to re-post my live recording of The Four Tops at the Odeon in the early 70s . I am sure that Still Waters was their current single at the time (unfortunately not on this bit ) . Abs

God Mick this is so hard! I have so many favourites.

So, forgive me if I have a top three!!

3 - Cleo's Mood - when it came out it was the most awesome thing on the planet ever! (Although the Packers 'hole in the wall' came close but not on Motown, of course.

2 - Just a little misunderstanding - Awesome squared and I was in love with Linda from the Hippo and we'd fallen out and I got Alex to play it and it did the trick!

1 - but, unbeaten and unbeatable - 'It's been a long, long time' by the Elgins which is on my favourite Motown Album together with The Monitors singing 'Since I lost You Girl' and Barbara Randolph singing 'I got a feeling' - anyone care to name that album?

Cheers, Y'all

I am sure this outfit though releasing singles on the Rare Earth label, were in the Motown Stable?

You tube links...

Prob with Motown is that there are so many great songs that my choice could never be permanent, as a result of that my current vote goes to The Spinners Memories Of Her Love, or could it be The Temps We'll Be Satisfied, possibly tracks that not everyone knows.

Funny this topic should come up , I've been listenig to loads of motown lately due to being asked to play bass in a motown band.

Hence Im liking the ones with the coolest bass licks from James Jamerson

I was made to love her- Stevie Wonder

Bernadette- The 4 Tops

You Keep Me Hanging On - The Supremes

Also , Losing You- the Temptations

Money- Barrett Strong

Prob with Motown is that there are so many great songs that my choice could never be permanent, as a result of that my current vote goes to The Spinners Memories Of Her Love, or could it be The Temps We'll Be Satisfied, possibly tracks that not everyone knows.

I'd never heard that Temps track till I bought their Lost and Found CD - great track, great CD, just pipped at the post by the Marvin Gaye disc - also in the Lost and Found series. What amazes me is the quality of the rejects when I listen to them on these complilations. So many great songs just not seen as good enough! Which is why all the singles (well most of them) were classic soul cuts.

Thinking of obscure Motown there is an awesome Marv Johnson track called 'Why do you want to let me go' which I have on a German CD called 'Detroit (rare tracks from) vol 7. It's a very good compilation and I wish I could get my hands on the other volumes too! Speaking of which if any of you guys have a copy of an album which covered sounds from the Ric Tic label (mine was nicked) I'd love you to burn it for me. !jumping!

And finally, I have all 3 stax box sets and when you compare their back catalogue to Motown's then Tamla wins hands down!

One last track for tonight - The Supremes - Reflections!

Cheers Craig - good choices.

Franky Vallie & the 4 Seasons

More Northern Soul than Motown but still great!!!!

Did a search for You Keep Me Hanging On & came across vanillafudge ? was anyone into this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aWFaZgwerY

Ive still got it on vinyl on Atlantic, got a good b side too, If you dont want me forever take me for a little while.

Franky Vallie & the 4 Seasons

More Northern Soul than Motown but still great!!!!

I guess im being pedantic here, but it isnt actually a Motown track. Or are we including anything that resembled the Motown sound?

Very true old chum, but, that doesnt answer my question, do we stick to Motown, as the thread title implies, or do we add any "soulie type of track" In which case there are billions!!! :biggrin: My own thoughts personally and as music mod are that it should be genuine Motown and related (as in the Motown group, Tamla,Soul etc) and not just anything that has a motownesq beat, otherwise we could include things like Heartache Avenue by The Maisonettes, a good track, but certainly not Motown.

Very true old chum, but, that doesnt answer my question, do we stick to Motown, as the thread title implies, or do we add any "soulie type of track" In which case there are billions!!! :biggrin: My own thoughts personally and as music mod are that it should be genuine Motown and related (as in the Motown group, Tamla,Soul etc) and not just anything that has a motownesq beat, otherwise we could include things like Heartache Avenue by The Maisonettes, a good track, but certainly not Motown.

Funny you mention the Maisonnetes but that track is on North of Watford Volume one (A celebration of classic "Northern" you probably have it too) which is on my player right now. Although how the compilers can call it classic "Northern" I don't know, great track yes but 'classic' no

Funny you mention the Maisonnetes but that track is on North of Watford Volume one (A celebration of classic "Northern" you probably have it too) which is on my player right now. Although how the compilers can call it classic "Northern" I don't know, great track yes but 'classic' no

I will have words with Kev Roberts about that, as the series are his baby, funny, I only just put the phone down to him.

Now if you look closely at the "Inspirations" for Best Of North Of Watford, I get mentioned..................... as an old timer, along with my grandad Pete Stringfellow!!!!

Added, ive just looked at the N. O .W cd's and they dont say Northern on the sleeve. They say rare soul and pop classics, or the other way round.(rare pop and soul classics)

And yep Franki and The Seasons were signed to Motown, and songs released on Mowest

I will have words with Kev Roberts about that, as the series are his baby, funny, I only just put the phone down to him.

Now if you look closely at the "Inspirations" for Best Of North Of Watford, I get mentioned..................... as an old timer, along with my grandad Pete Stringfellow!!!!

Added, ive just looked at the N. O .W cd's and they dont say Northern on the sleeve. They say rare soul and pop classics, or the other way round.(rare pop and soul classics)

And yep Franki and The Seasons were signed to Motown, and songs released on Mowest

Yes do have words with him for me too Craig,please. On the back page of the booklet that accompanys the C.D.there is a page for you to request your own sugestions for further publications. Well I went through the motions and although there were further issues I never even got a thank you for my reccomendations (I don't even know if they were used as all the comps came out whilst I was abroad ,95 onwards.)

My requests?

Groovin with Mr Blo.....Mr Blo

Footsie.....................Wigans Chosen Few

Tainted Love.............Gloria Jones

There were 4 but I can't remember the last one (Any of the above get in??)

Also it says RARE CLUB CLASSICS 1964-1980, yet the Maissonettes was Oct 82 (And I can't find a mention of you or your grand dad so he lied to you too LOL)

bitsa.jpg

Just read your post Pete, but youre looking at the wrong cd for my mention, its on the best of N O W, not the one you posted a pic of, come to that, the pic doesnt look familiar at all.....let me go and get it now...........back in a tick!.......................................Sorry that took so long, some twat in my household had left a towel draped into the wc sink, and it had picked up the water from the dripping tap, and spread it neatly onto the ferkin laminate floor!!!!

Anyway, re the cd in question, North Of Watford, the first one in the series, mine says 24 rare pop and soul classics 1964 -1982, so The Maisonettes were not out of year, and it looks nothing like the one in your pic! Was yours a copy perhaps?

Happy to say Groovin with Mr Bloe made it, but not on the first release, I think it got onto vol 2. Unless it was sheer concidence, Ill ask Kev to thank you personally, in fact, what about me asking if I can put you on my guest list at The Regency one Friday?

Do you mean me Craig..cos you've lost me..thought you wanted my favourite motown song?..what are we on about North of Watford for..were you refering to Beefsteaks post???

pete c....driving a mondeo tonight..vespa tucked up in bed.

I agree with beefsteak 'cos I sent in my suggestions too.

As well as Groovin with, Kev also had the good sense to include Spooky's day off, which in it's day was guaranteed to pack the floor at the Place.

He didn't, sadly, include Franki Valli's Opus 17 which Alex used to fill the floor with at the Hippo.

Now back to the topic - my favourite tracks this morning are Going to a go-go and I can't give back the love I feel for you - Rita Wright's version.

On or off topic - I like this game, it's got me going through my motown tracks and rememebering a lot of very good times - now isn't that what Nottstalgia is for?

C