'favourite Motown tracks of the day'

This is such a difficult question to answer, all that music - all those great years.

I'll go for one that a few years back used to get voted as the greatest pop song of all time in quite a few polls, The Tracks of My Tears by Smokey Robinson and The Miracles.

The Tracks of My Tears

miracles.jpg

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whilst working in in Detroit I took the opportunity to visit Hitsville USA, the Motown Museum. I have to say it was fanbloodytastic. It tells the story from the early days of Tamla. They had Mich

In a recent survey on Soul Source this Motown record was voted best ever. The vocals of Levi Stubbs make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.

Might be a time to re-post my live recording of The Four Tops at the Odeon in the early 70s . I am sure that Still Waters was their current single at the time (unfortunately not on this bit ) . Abs

Do you mean me Craig..cos you've lost me..thought you wanted my favourite motown song?..what are we on about North of Watford for..were you refering to Beefsteaks post???

pete c....driving a mondeo tonight..vespa tucked up in bed.

Sorry Pete!! I did my reply quite late after work, and having had a nightcap! Yes, it was meant for beefy!

Twas I Craig , and no, mine is an original bought from good old Arcade Records in 95. Incidentally it did 4 tours of duty in Ibiza including me playing Muriel Day (Nine times out of ten) and Mistura (The flasher) at EsParadis (Massive club in San Antonio) to a packed (and shocked) crowd of revelers . Muriel didn't do too well but Mistura went down a storm. It also went to America with me in 2002 and Ireland in 2004 and The Dominican Republic in 2005 , it has been well and truely played to death all over the world

And Charlie jogged my memory for my fourth choice it was "The Night" by Frankie Valli etc

If I could add some more to my faves, they would be, Shake me wake me....4 Tops...................."Heart"..............Isleys................Just walk in my shoes............Glad and the Pips..... .....Baby a go go.......Barbara Macnair..............Just my imagination....temps. and The Vows...........Crying in the night See, the list dont stop!!!

Back in the days when I had a proper job, I used to travel a bit, usually with friends. We had a game which required the naming of dead people (and maybe dead people - like Moses or Lord Lucan - maybes were worth two points. This list was alos never ending but it was also a lot of fun.

Smokey - you really got a hold on me!

Ah, mystery solved, the artwork on the original North Of Watford was quickly put together, and by his own admission, Kev made a mistake by putting the years involved, and the latter should have read 82, which indeed it did say when the second phase of its life happened.

Dunno, but as in most cases, everything has to be in mint nick to realise its potential value, which in the case of vinyl, usually means not having been played, note I say usually.

Can't be that rare - mine also says 1964 - 1980. I bought it to have a CD version of 'I feel love coming on' and Mood Mosaic's 'Touch of velvet....' (easier to make CD compilations). Now that would be a good series for Kev to do - if your listening Craig - a best of President collection! I have a vinyl thing called the genius of Barry White, with the Felice Taylor track - but it's not the original. That said it does have 'It may be winter outside' and some Viola Wills tracks including 'you're out of my mind' which was brill!

Now let's see, today's favourite motown track is - Barbara McNair - You're gonna love my baby!

Yes there were and the old one with the printing mistake is the cheapest. Snap it up!! it'll be worth summat when word gets round!

Great choice of song Charlie! I already put her Baby a go go as a former choice, and would have picked yours had you not pipped me at the post! Btw, Motown released 2 of her albums on a double cd, but the majority of the tracks are nowhere near as good as the two we mention

Great choice of song Charlie! I already put her Baby a go go as a former choice, and would have picked yours had you not pipped me at the post! Btw, Motown released 2 of her albums on a double cd, but the majority of the tracks are nowhere near as good as the two we mention

It was your pick that made me go and dig it out! By the by, do you have any idea what happened to DJ Petal? I seem to remember he worked on Radio Trent for a while.................Or maybe you remember Hippo Girl's Alex?

I dont recall Petal being there at all, maybe he guested on someone elses show? Dales perhaps? Either way I certainly never heard him, and I was there from 1980 thru 97, and then still on other stations in the group. No idea what hes doing now either.

default.jpg

<< You Tube Video.

Specialy for Petes C (Still riding that Vespa)

This one takes me back to The Santa Fe' 1968, and is the track that made me a big fan of Edwins.

Thank you for that Mick..much appreciated and enjoyed..some great looking scoots..will have to post a pic of my little vespa when the weather improves and I can get a decent photo..a couple of months back I had a pair of whitewall tyres fitted, all the pics I have now have the old tyres on..looks much better now.

My motown choice today is another Edwin Starr one I Want My Baby Back..think this was his first release on motown..went to see him at the Brit when this first came out..my mate Harry Everson took some photo's on the night that I have never seen..so if you are reading this Harry wherever you are get in touch and let me see em!

pete c....still riding a vespa

Oday we have the most disinctive Motowner of all - Junior Walker, master of the wailing sax. And our track is Tune-up, made especially for playing while you tinker with your Vespa!

I saw a concert at the Royal Centre, in 88 I think.

Junior got down on his knees and leaned back to play his sax.

Two guys had to lift him up by his elbows to get him up (still playing)

Others on the bill were The Four Top (current hit 'Loco in Acapulco as a clue to the era?)

Possibly Jimmy Ruffin as well?

Anyone go to this concert?

Hmm, Junior at 70! Needs thinking about!

OK - here's a thought - Did Stevie ever make a really good record? (I have a feeling I've just earned a kicking).

Favourite tracks again! 'Can't stop looking for my baby' -the Fantastic Four and 'Baby I miss you' - Tommy Good. Then there is Northern Soul meets Motown - always a good thing - with Martha belting out 'I'll follow you'. But, when Motown met funk the results weren't always so good! I spent about 6 months working Scamps in Hemel - where funk was the only game in town. At the time Creative Source had a single out, the full version of which, on their LP was brilliant. But it was absolutely and stunningly out-brilled by the wonderful Gladys Knight! There was also another mind-blowing track - this time by the Temps - I still love it - The Law of the Land.

God bless Motown!

Saw Junior Walker and the allstars at the Sherwood Rooms in 66..he was good but only played for less than 30 mins..was a bit of a rip off..my motown choice for today from Mr Walker himself WAY BACK HOME Tamla Motown 857- 1973

pete c....still riding a vespa