'favourite Motown tracks of the day'

Hmm, Junior at 70! Needs thinking about!

OK - here's a thought - Did Stevie ever make a really good record? (I have a feeling I've just earned a kicking).

Try Love A Go Go by Stevie, its a corker!

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whilst working in in Detroit I took the opportunity to visit Hitsville USA, the Motown Museum. I have to say it was fanbloodytastic. It tells the story from the early days of Tamla. They had Mich

In a recent survey on Soul Source this Motown record was voted best ever. The vocals of Levi Stubbs make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.

Might be a time to re-post my live recording of The Four Tops at the Odeon in the early 70s . I am sure that Still Waters was their current single at the time (unfortunately not on this bit ) . Abs

Why have all the posts on this gone funny Mick?..used to be 3 pages...anyway wanted to reply to the previous post about Jnr Walker at 70..did anyone see Eddie Floyd on Jools Holland's Hootananny on New Years Eve..think Eddie is 71 but he was really good..70 is the new 50 anyway!!

pete c....still riding a vespa...at 58!

Why have all the posts on this gone funny Mick?..used to be 3 pages.

Top Right>OPTIONS>DISPLAY MODE: STANDARD

pete c....still riding a vespa...at 58!

Watch out fer those speed cameras Pete

Thanks for that Mick..I'm on my work pc so must altered it by accident...don't need to worry about most speed cameras Mick..they are mainly forward facing and I ain't got a number plate on the front!!!.which leads me nicely into another top motown tune...ROAD RUNNER BY JUNIOR WALKER!!!!!

pete c....still riding a vespa

OK guys - an underwhelming response! I do like his version of Light my fire - some good harmonica on that.

Now, here's another thought - Was Gladys Knight Motown's most underrated star - or do you know of someone else? I should mention the track I love - just in case! Who is he (and what is he to you) plus which her frteedom train is a right little belter. I just know Craig is going to say - Barbara McNair!

Yes, it's true - love a go go is a goer!

Tough one that Charlie, I spoke to Jimmy Ruffin on a couple of occasions, and he told me that Berry had told him if he didnt come up with a hit, he was out. Luckily "Brokenhearted" sorted the problem, so maybe I would say Jimmy.

Truth is, I dont like the majority of Ms Mcnairs stuff, too "cabaret ish" for me.

I have just changed my mind (Motown artist ,though this is probably not on the label) Hold on to my love. Jimmy Ruffin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HJd9vMTQUk

Ignore the first minute of waffle

Tough one that Charlie, I spoke to Jimmy Ruffin on a couple of occasions, and he told me that Berry had told him if he didnt come up with a hit, he was out. Luckily "Brokenhearted" sorted the problem, so maybe I would say Jimmy.

Truth is, I dont like the majority of Ms Mcnairs stuff, too "cabaret ish" for me.

Well yes, but it is cool when you can drop the fact into conversation! My boss at the Penny once persuaded all of 'Chairman of the Board' to come up to Scamps after they'd finished their gig at the Intercon, so I did get to be their DJ and we did have a bit of a chat............but that is pretty well my claim to fame.

You're half right about Gladys :-) but it's fair to say there are some excellent tracks out there - she does a stonking version of 'I heard it through the grapevine'. Still, that's probably true of all the Motown artists.

Well yes, but it is cool when you can drop the fact into conversation! My boss at the Penny once persuaded all of 'Chairman of the Board' to come up to Scamps after they'd finished their gig at the Intercon, so I did get to be their DJ and we did have a bit of a chat............but that is pretty well my claim to fame.

You're half right about Gladys :-) but it's fair to say there are some excellent tracks out there - she does a stonking version of 'I heard it through the grapevine'. Still, that's probably true of all the Motown artists.

I reckon somewhere in the Motown vaults, theres probably a version of every Motown song, recorded at least once by every Motown artist.

As for Jimmy, I also interviewed him a couple of times, and did have him doing me a "voicer" saying."Hi this is Jimmy Ruffin, and your listening to tThe Motown Hour with Craig Strong."

Did a gig with him too at The Commodore, oh and Beefy, yep, his Hold on song was on Polydor.

Then again, so was SOS when first released.

So was Headline News, come to that!

Now I like that! Hope you kept the voiceover - I would have!

Today we're into Smokey and 'I'll second that emotion' and if it ere on motown, but I don't think it is, we still like him when he released 'Cruisn'!

That's the reissue Mick from 1968..Stop Her On Sight and Headline News both released in 66 on Polydor 56702 and 56 717..think your number is 56753.

My motown choice today is from an album I bought in 65 Tamla Motown 16 Big Hits..which I still have..think it was the first album released on the Tamla Motown label in this country..the song in question is Brenda Holloway's "Every Little Bit Hurts"...superb ballad.

Both great songs..thought I had Still Water but can't seem to find it..."The Supremes Sing Motown" released May 1967 so you were right Charlie..I have the track I'll Turn To Stone on a Supremes CD "The Supremes Sing Holland.Dozier.Holland" which has exactly the same track listings as your 67 album.

Another great song from the 16 Big Hits album..Mary Wells "What's Easy For Two Is So Hard For One"..in fact they are ALL great songs

MOTOWN..THE SOUND OF YOUNG AMERICA.

Just watched that Nick..great song and wasn't Tammi a great looking girl....I read somewhere that on some of the last recordings with Marvin before she died and was very ill that Valerie Simpson actually did her vocals..anyone else hear that?

Been listening to my Temptations Greatest Hits Album tonight..so my choice tonight is their 1966 song "Ain't Too Proud To Beg"...and I still have my well worn 45 of this..bought from the Reddifusion shop near the Odeon 42 years ago!

Just watched that Nick..great song and wasn't Tammi a great looking girl....I read somewhere that on some of the last recordings with Marvin before she died and was very ill that Valerie Simpson actually did her vocals..anyone else hear that?

Been listening to my Temptations Greatest Hits Album tonight..so my choice tonight is their 1966 song "Ain't Too Proud To Beg"...and I still have my well worn 45 of this..bought from the Reddifusion shop near the Odeon 42 years ago!

I have it on good authority that it was indeed Valerie singing on "Mountain".

As for Rediffusion, anyone remember Les who worked there? He was also a mate of Ben's who ran the Ace book and record shop on Goldsmith st.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing that no one has put anything new on here for a few days thought I'd get the ball rolling again with The Miracles classic from 1965 GOING TO A GO GO...sounded great through those hugh bass speakers at the Dungeon.

In that case, I'll go for "Dancing in the Street" by Martha and the Vandellas which I think is regarded as one of the Motown classics.

Nice choice Zab..I'm just playing it on an album called "Tamla Motown Presents 20 Mod Classics" so tonight I'm going to go for another track that's also on this album..The Marvelettes "Too Many Fish In The Sea"