'favourite Motown tracks of the day'

Seeing that no one has put anything new on here for a few days thought I'd get the ball rolling again with The Miracles classic from 1965 GOING TO A GO GO...sounded great through those hugh bass speakers at the Dungeon.

pete c....still riding a vespa

That was such a great track, I am away from Nottingham now, but are there still venues, dances that still play the old sounds, have a box full of the old Tamla Singles from the era, must get them onto MP3 soon - last TM performer I saw in Nottingham was Jr. Walker at Rock City, brilliant Gig, what a cool sound that RoadRunner song is :cool:

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whilst working in in Detroit I took the opportunity to visit Hitsville USA, the Motown Museum. I have to say it was fanbloodytastic. It tells the story from the early days of Tamla. They had Mich

In a recent survey on Soul Source this Motown record was voted best ever. The vocals of Levi Stubbs make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.

Might be a time to re-post my live recording of The Four Tops at the Odeon in the early 70s . I am sure that Still Waters was their current single at the time (unfortunately not on this bit ) . Abs

Seeing that no one has put anything new on here for a few days thought I'd get the ball rolling again with The Miracles classic from 1965 GOING TO A GO GO...sounded great through those hugh bass speakers at the Dungeon.

I remember being stunned (literally) by those four 18" Goodmans bass units, id never heard anything like it, and still havent, Darrell Banks Open the door sounded amazing thru them, as did James Jamersons bass line on Shake me wake me!

Anyway, my choice for today is...............Kim Weston " A little More Love", which I first saw on RSG, and thanks to Kev Thomas at Arcade, found on one of her cd's.

Don't know that one Craig..will go and search it out and give it a listen..bye the way on my earlier post it should have read HUGE bass speakers and not hugh..think that's a blokes name!!..I agree with what you said about the sound down in the basement at the Dungeon..there might have been better clubs in Nottingham but they never had a sound like the Dungeon..it's a wonder we haven't all gone deaf!

Zab..do you have the Kim Weston track that Craig mentioned..have looked through all my motown stuff and can't see it..came out in 64 on Stateside...would be interested in hearing it.

there might have been better clubs in Nottingham but they never had a sound like the Dungeon..it's a wonder we haven't all gone deaf!

Pardon?...................................someone say something..................?

Zab..do you have the Kim Weston track that Craig mentioned..have looked through all my motown stuff and can't see it..came out in 64 on Stateside...would be interested in hearing it.

I'll have a look and let you know.

Thanks Zab..should have said I'd already got Helpless I put it on one of the Dungeon cd's..just re read my post and it comes across as if I'm also asking for Helpless..sorry to mislead you mate...A Little More Love is a cracking song..very good choice Craig..any more gems I should know about?

pete c....still riding a vespa...but not today cos it was too windy!!

Thanks Zab..should have said I'd already got Helpless I put it on one of the Dungeon cd's..just re read my post and it comes across as if I'm also asking for Helpless..sorry to mislead you mate...

:)

Never mind, it gave me the chance to search out an album I hadn't listened to for a while.

Is it Baby Love by The Supremes?.which came out here on Stateside records in 64 so could be argued not really a motown record or is it Reach Out I'll Be There by the Four Tops which was released on Tamla Motown in 66 ..and I haven't looked at the link...by the way..the first release in this country of a record on the Tamla Motown label was The Supremes Stop In The Name Of Love in March 1965 number TMG 501..for years I tried to find out what TMG 500 was not realising that they started from 501!!!

pete c....still riding that vespa

According to the Guiness Book Of British Hit Singles celebrating 1,000 no 1 singles.. Baby Love by The Supremes..quote "The first single by a female group to top the chart was also Motown Records first UK no 1"

Just had a look at that Frank..and after reading it then it looks like they had the first US no 1 for Motown but not over here...did some good stuff..very underated group.

The only hit The Marvelettes had over here was "When you're young and in love" which only made number 13 and stayed on chart for for 10 weeks in 1967

(They didn't even have an album!!!!!!!!!!!)

Got to agree Pete - I must have misread the first chart No.1 thinking it was the UK.

Doh!!

never mind, it passed a few moments and got some head sratching going. :smile:

Were the Chilites on Motown ?

Another good seventies group.

Yeah Frank enjoyed looking it all up..one other thing though.the crappy Carpenters actually had a no 2 hit with a cover of the Marvelettes Please Mister Postman in 1975..and as we all know The Beatles also covered it.

No Chi-lites were not on Motown.their releases here were on MCA and Brunswick..their song Have You Seen Her reminds me of times spent on excercise in Germany 1972..sitting in my landrover at night with Radio North Sea playing the song.

Yeah Frank enjoyed looking it all up..one other thing though.the crappy Carpenters actually had a no 2 hit with a cover of the Marvelettes Please Mister Postman in 1975..and as we all know The Beatles also covered it.

No Chi-lites were not on Motown.their releases here were on MCA and Brunswick..their song Have You Seen Her reminds me of times spent on excercise in Germany 1972..sitting in my landrover at night with Radio North Sea playing the song.

Maybe listening to my chum Stevie Merike at the time?

Pete, more Ric Tic released on Motown stuff, have you heard "Please let me In" by JJ Barnes? I love it, and am sure you will/do!

Also Tune up by Jr Walker , and theres another one thats just jumped out of my head...hang on...its back...........Good Rockin, also by Jr.

No Mr Merike had been shown the door in July 71..think it was the likes of Robb Eden, Tony Allan, Mike Ross and good old Daffy Don Allen on board in 72..because I was able to get to Holland easy at that time I went out on a few anorak trips from Scheveningen to see the boats anchored off the dutch coast.went past Radio Veronica first, then past Radio North Sea International and finally past Radio Caroline..still have the photo's I took.

Will look up the JJ Barnes track..have some of his stuff on some Northern Soul cd's so may have it..have heard Tune Up by Junior Walker..think it was the b side to something??..not heard of Good Rockin so will search that one out.

pete c....still riding the you know what.

I went out on a few anorak trips from Scheveningen to see the boats anchored off the dutch coast.went past Radio Veronica first, then past Radio North Sea International and finally past Radio Caroline..still have the photo's I took.

Lets see em then?

• Upvote 1

You will.. IF I ever sort photobucket out..going to have a try at one Nick recommended Imageshack..might have more luck on there..have lots of photos of the ships off Holland and some of Caroline in Amsterdam.

Favorite Motown song this evening..Marvin Gaye.."What's Going On"

pete c....still riding a vespa..