'favourite Motown tracks of the day'

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whilst working in in Detroit I took the opportunity to visit Hitsville USA, the Motown Museum. I have to say it was fanbloodytastic. It tells the story from the early days of Tamla. They had Mich

In a recent survey on Soul Source this Motown record was voted best ever. The vocals of Levi Stubbs make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.

Might be a time to re-post my live recording of The Four Tops at the Odeon in the early 70s . I am sure that Still Waters was their current single at the time (unfortunately not on this bit ) . Abs

• 4 weeks later...

Motown!!!!!

An insult to the memory of Stax, no comparison, the artists on Motowns pop based lable should have curled up and died when Otis appeared, there was no way that these sickly Top of the Pops artists could compare to what Stax were putting out, that was real SOUL music.

Motown wasn't SOUL music, it was a distinct style of it's own as is COUNTRY, and COUNTRY ROCK, and ROCKABILLY.

One cannot "lump" soul and motown together in the same catagory.

Motown wasn't SOUL music, it was a distinct style of it's own as is COUNTRY, and COUNTRY ROCK, and ROCKABILLY.

One cannot "lump" soul and motown together in the same catagory.

Please read again, that's what Stax was all about, I never suggested it applied to Motown, though they like to think it did, lets shudder to think of the ugly starch haired annorexic Diana Ross and the Supreme team, didn't they consider themselves soul then, I think they did, whatever you thought it meant, oops sorry, are we talking Rythm and Blues here though, wasn't that the Stones and now a category applied to any wailing crap currently called dance music.

I forgot to mention Atlantic records either, they were pretty good, some nice stuff and a bit more adventurous too, unfortunately they were brave enough to take on artists such as Led Zeppelin, had to promote the changing times after all, pity you couldn't bop down the Penny Farthing to 'Communication Breakdown', well you could, except they were still playing 'Baby Love' 10 years after it was released, they didn't know any better, well it was Motown and not 'Soul', it obviously made all the difference.

If you delve a little deeper than the "pop" on Motown, Baby Love, Onion Song, My Guy etc, you will indeed find some real soul.

Sorry but Ayupmeducks has just told us that Motown wasn't about soul music, I'm confused here, what was it all about then.

I know, I'm in one of my git moods, but it all started at school. We always thought that Tamla was manipulating it's position and that more interesting stuff was availiable on other labels, what really astonished me was 'Talking Book' by Stevie Wonder, a masterpiece and so different from some of the trite rubbish that Motown was putting out at the time, it must have kicked their backsides into touch.

Interesting point about Motown not being soul music, whenever a night is advertised, it usually says "soul and Motown"

Maybe those that say it isnt soul are strictly correct, having said that, just listen to the words on songs like "Tracks of my tears" , or "What becomes of the broken hearted" and say that they arent soul tracks.

Yes, they are different to what was around on Stax and Atlantic etc, but, the latter were usually synonimous with Memphis, Chess with Chicago, and Motown with Detroit, I suppose a little like the difference between Londons Dave Clark 5, Manchesters Hollies, and Liverpools Beatles, all doing "pop" music, but different in a number of ways.

Just remember too, that Motown doesnt begin and end with The Supremes and Four Tops etc, delve deeper, and find artists such as The Monitors, Barbara Mcnair, and Brian Holland, one third of the world famous Holland Dozier Holland songwriting trio.

• 3 weeks later...

Just been listening to Brenda Holloways Every Little Bit Hurts, sure sounds like soul to me. Craig is right Motown was so much more than The Supremes etc. Atlantic wasn't all soul. Sonny and Cher, Bobby Darin and the Young Rascals were all on Atlantic Records.

pete c....still riding a vespa

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Interesting point about Motown not being soul music, whenever a night is advertised, it usually says "soul and Motown"

Maybe those that say it isnt soul are strictly correct, having said that, just listen to the words on songs like "Tracks of my tears" , or "What becomes of the broken hearted" and say that they arent soul tracks.

Yes, they are different to what was around on Stax and Atlantic etc, but, the latter were usually synonimous with Memphis, Chess with Chicago, and Motown with Detroit, I suppose a little like the difference between Londons Dave Clark 5, Manchesters Hollies, and Liverpools Beatles, all doing "pop" music, but different in a number of ways.

Just remember too, that Motown doesnt begin and end with The Supremes and Four Tops etc, delve deeper, and find artists such as The Monitors, Barbara Mcnair, and Brian Holland, one third of the world famous Holland Dozier Holland songwriting trio.

Soul shmole - who cares Motown was and is awesome - 50 years later! It was, in many ways THE sound of the 60s - but I guess you had to be there. Any of you purists go play Cleo's mood and tell me that isn't soul - !englandflag!

PS - Hi Craig!

Hi Charlie!

Wow....Cleo's Mood, that takes me back, I had two LP's bought from a Freemans catalogue, one was Hitsville USA, and the other was Motown Magic, both mono, cos back then, I didnt have a stereo record player, hey, I was only 14! But, Cleo's Mood was on one of them...cant remember which one, the one I still have is filed away, and the other disappeared while I was still at Radio Trent.

Anyway, excellent track, with lots more organ on it than Jr was noted for normally,

Ive just re discovered a track by The Vows, called Tell Me, its on a cd that I did have somewhere, but saw it in HMV yester me, yester you, yesterday! Sorry........couldnt resist that as its Motowns birthday! Its called Tamla Motown Connoissuers vol 2, obviously lots of other great tracks on it too.

PS it was only £4 !

Hey up Craig!

I have it, I have it - playing it now! And vol 1!

MOTOWN!!!!!!!!!!

I think my first motown album was Motown Chartbusters at a little over two quid - well it was the 60s! It was either that or the Supremes sing Motown

Well, I dunno about that - sometimes it just ups and smacks you round the head and the light goes on!

The thing is it's all kind of in the mix. The beatles sang Motown, and I didn't even know there was a motown! Later Motown sang the Beatles and Otis sang satisfaction and I was gobsmacked to find out he hadn't written it! I can remember a big (and very serious debate - OK - it's the Potteries in the mid 60s - not Awesome Notts centre) about which was more soulful - The Temptations or Otis singing My Girl - I thought they were both brill!

At the Place - which was quite a place - you'd be dancing at Aunt Dora's love Soul shack, looking for a fox but then you'd Stop her on sight after Grooving with Mr Bloe when it was spooky's day off! Maybe some peole cared about - is this Soul or not - but most of us just danced to it! Like the man said - What is soul! And I likle that one too!

Hi Jan, Charlie. Ive mentioned before that at The Dungeon, it wasnt all soul and Motown, I remember dancing to Pretty Flamingo there by Manfred Mann!!! There was a fair splattering of things by Rod Stewart (in Shotgun Express etc) Monkees, Mamas And Papas, The Action, The Easybeats, and even The Beatles "Theres A Place!"

Obviously The Who and Small Faces were played often, but, and quite rightly, the soul and Motown took pride of place!

Anyone else here buy "Hit The Road Stax" when it first came out?

In response to the "My Girl" question, at the time, I thought Otis, but now its The Temps, David Ruffins voice is superb on it!

Hi Jan, Charlie. Ive mentioned before that at The Dungeon, it wasnt all soul and Motown, I remember dancing to Pretty Flamingo there by Manfred Mann!!! There was a fair splattering of things by Rod Stewart (in Shotgun Express etc) Monkees, Mamas And Papas, The Action, The Easybeats, and even The Beatles "Theres A Place!"

Obviously The Who and Small Faces were played often, but, and quite rightly, the soul and Motown took pride of place!

Anyone else here buy "Hit The Road Stax" when it first came out?

In response to the "My Girl" question, at the time, I thought Otis, but now its The Temps, David Ruffins voice is superb on it!

Yes, I did! I thought it was brilliant! I bought all the compilations I could get my hands on. So I have hit 67 for Stax and Atlantic as well as Atlantic's hit 66 & 68. My favourite was, and still is, More Midnight Soul, on Atlantic, although Solid Gold Soul comes a close second. My favourite Memphis album would have to be King and Queen I think - I remember it being just about everyone's at the time!

One of the Bands that always pulled in the punters at the Place was The Alan Bown, I never missed them! I'm sure they must have appeared in Notts as well! When It comes to blue-eyed soul singers, I always thought that Jess Roden had one of the best voices in the business.

You are so right Craig, even though the years have dimmed my memory, it wasn't about genres or authenticity, it was about the dancing and the sound! Probably still is when you get right down to it! Who wouldn't love Beachwood 4-5789? Please Mr. Postman? Darling Baby? I got a feeling? Fabulous Soul - Fabulous Motown!

When they were doing the "soulie" stuff, like the cover of Edwins Headline News, Alan Bown was known as The Alan Bown Set, as im sure you know! Anyway, I saw them actually at The Dungeon, and imitated the lead singer sticking his finger in his ear so he could tell how he was singing, obviously before stage monitors were thought of!

Ive also got the More Midnight Soul LP, and at the time wondered what the album cover was all about!

I always thought he just liked the feel of his finger, but now that you mention it it does make sense!

I thought the brass section was awesome

If anyone other than me and Craig actually look at this there is a series of CDs called 'Motown Classic Hits' which I think were imports, and which are available on Amazon second-hand and which do have lots of the brilliant early stuff on them - well up to about vol 3 anyway. Vol 1 is my favourite!