'favourite Motown tracks of the day'

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whilst working in in Detroit I took the opportunity to visit Hitsville USA, the Motown Museum. I have to say it was fanbloodytastic. It tells the story from the early days of Tamla. They had Mich

In a recent survey on Soul Source this Motown record was voted best ever. The vocals of Levi Stubbs make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.

Might be a time to re-post my live recording of The Four Tops at the Odeon in the early 70s . I am sure that Still Waters was their current single at the time (unfortunately not on this bit ) . Abs

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Motown is one of my favourite music genders. Smokey Robinson, Jimmy Ruffin (What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted), Four Tops, Temptations etc. Was Percy Sledge also Motown? Love When A Man Loves A Woman, best slow dance song ever. 

• Like 1

Whilst working in in Detroit I took the opportunity to visit Hitsville USA, the Motown Museum. I have to say it was fanbloodytastic. It tells the story from the early days of Tamla.

They had Michael Jackson's jewelled glove on display.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...
On 5/9/2021 at 7:15 PM, Stavertongirl said:

Was Percy Sledge also Motown? Love When A Man Loves A Woman, best slow dance song ever. 

Nope.  He was on Atlantic.  Very much Southern Soul.

He followed 'When a Man'..etc.. with these:

And this creditable version of 'The Dark End of the Street', though I've also iincluded the James Carr version which is often seen as definitive..

James Carr:

So.. back on topic..  It's impossible for me to come up with one favourite Motown song.  there are so many magnificent classics.. but tonight..

This last one... if I recall correctly..was the'B' Side of some issues of 'What Becomes of the Broken Hearted'.  It has 'Motown' written through it like Blackpool Rock... every 'hook', all of the backing vocals and the terrific work of the 'Funk Brothers' backing band..combine to make it a total Motown Classic.

We have just finished a cruise, where we join in the daily trivia games. Questions on a screen, write down answers. One question, Which soul singer crashed his Corvette the first time he drove it? Some wag in the audience shouted out Stevie Wonder and we all laughed. Answer - Ray Charles. More laughter!

• Like 1

Brilliant!  
I saw Little Stevie Wonder at the Dungeon Club in about 1966. He was just one of many great Motown stars to come to Nottingham.  Think it would have been about 10 bob to get in and he wouldn’t have seen how lovely our city was in those days either.

Is it now back to the heat of Arizona for you two?! 

• Upvote 1