drinks machine....computer.....flux coverter

Hard disk drive?

!clapping!

Spot on Eric ,

The worlds first hard drive , now for the fun part

GUESS THE BITE SIZE

I'm going for something MASSIVE....

1Mb - yes ONE megabyte!

It's actually 5 MB, but when you think that you are probably on a 2 giga bite !!!!!!

I have lost the link to the site so I can't give the exact dates and details

What is it? A Winchester?

What about the original Supercomputer the Cray II.

180px-Cray2.jpeg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cray-2

Seymour Cray is the legendary designer of a range of supercomputers, first for Control Data Corporation (CDC) and later for his own firm, Cray Research, Cray Computer Corporation and SRC Computers. The CRAY-1, introduced in 1976, became the icon of the supercomputer world with its unique design (often called the most expensive love seat ever made).

http://www.computerhistory.org/brochures/c...236&sortBy=

• 2 weeks later...
What is it? A Winchester?

What about the original Supercomputer the Cray II.

180px-Cray2.jpeg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cray-2

Seymour Cray is the legendary designer of a range of supercomputers, first for Control Data Corporation (CDC) and later for his own firm, Cray Research, Cray Computer Corporation and SRC Computers. The CRAY-1, introduced in 1976, became the icon of the supercomputer world with its unique design (often called the most expensive love seat ever made).

http://www.computerhistory.org/brochures/c...236&sortBy=

When I worked for RR down in Derby in the early 80s, we built what was then the biggest database in the UK - and one of the biggest in the world - that was a two meg jobbie! Of an evening, me and my mate would get together and paly table tennis on his PET Commodore - you must remember those two vertical paddles and the square ball!

We used to play on them and that noise Bip, bop, bip, bop, (it was the 70's when I first had a go onone though Charlie.

I should add that I learnt my computing skills in town - just across from the cinema and up a bit - what is that little bit of road called, that dead-ends when it reaches Upper Parliament Street? I was sent there by a guy in a computer shop that used to be on upper Parliament street - on the right-hand side as you drive up and out of town. The guy told me it would cost a lot to get on tyhe course but in fact it was a TOPS course, paying £35 per week! Once a week we used to go down to the Bell and have a couple of jars!

We used to play on them and that noise Bip, bop, bip, bop, (it was the 70's when I first had a go onone though Charlie.

Did somebody call??????

I beleive I still have one of those tennis games made I think by Benitone......sorry if the spelling isn't right.

Bip.

I can honestly say that until about '79 when my market-stall business was going bust I didn't really know that computers existed - certainly not in a meaningful way! It all came into focus when I was job-hunting and read a book called the mighty micro! Now of course they're everywhere and magic with it!

Hi Charlie, i went on a computer course on Chapel bar, it was above a shop and run by a company called IT World. Could this be the same course as yours?

Den.

Well...........this was in 1980 and I think they were called CDC (Control Data Corporation) and they had a deal with RR where RR would take on a lot of the graduates.

Is it Chapel bar that sits above slab square? Walking up from Yate's almost to the railings at the dead and and then a narrow entrance where you have to go upsatirs to the office?

This is the big problem with getting old - so many memories are full of holes!

I started out as a trainee analyst and ended up as head of IT Security for Barclays Corporate sector. Not bad for an uneducated, ex-dj from the Penny!