IMMSC The Mint was under the Hotel on St James st (Top side of Maid Marion Way) all mirrors and lights, it later became an Irish bar, or have I got muddled up again

IMMSC The Mint was under the Hotel on St James st (Top side of Maid Marion Way) all mirrors and lights, it later became an Irish bar, or have I got muddled up again

You're right, it was underneath the Albany Hotel - might have been called something else before it became an Irish bar. I think they used to have a DJ on some nights plus they also had live performances but, unfortunately, can't remember any at the moment.

The only "Mint Bar" I know of is THIS one. And since I used to live in Sheridan, I have had many, many drinks in there!

mintbar1-450.jpg

"You wouldn't want to say anything bad about John Wayne at the Mint.

Real cowboys hang out there. Faron Young is still on the jukebox.

They put pictures of cows on the wall."

Think I might give that place a miss!

• 2 years later...
Think I might give that place a miss!

Actually, provided you do not insult the cowboys, it is a really friendly place. I went in one Friday after work and sat next to a young lad who smelled a little like a cow! We got talking, - he had just returned from the spring "round up" (yes, they still do it on horses in some locations) and was pissed about all the "urban cowboys" hanging out in the "real" bars.

I got a little nervous (wearing Levis, cowboy shirt and my hat on the bar) and said "but what about me" - his reply "you're O.K. - you are dressed like that 'cause you live here, and respect us - I can tell by the way you put your hat on the bar, and you don't have a neckerchief or gloves in your pocket - and you talk funny!" - then he bought me a beer!

Defo below the Albany. All I can remember about that place is singing Hi-Ho We Hate Geordies to Jeff Beck's Silver Lining and being permanently p*****.

• 2 years later...

When it first opened, Mrs Commo and I worked in the same office on Friar Lane and as a treat, when we could afford, would go for lunch at The Mint Bar where for 2/6d you could indulge in a plate of shepherds pie, as long as you were there early enough before it ran out.

In those days it was unusual for pubs to offer cooked meals at lunch time, so it was always very busy. Just think, there was a time when it was a novelty and "cutting edge" to be able to have a hot meal in a pub !!

• 2 years later...

I remember the Mint bar fondly. Went there with my girlfriend 1971, it was a Saturday night. I think the live band were a tribute but I remember them playing an Argent number. Happy days, the 70s planners should have been lined up against the old Council House in then slab square and...well you know what I mean. Nottingham was ruined, no Flying Horse, no driving around the Square. I remember I saw Tony Blackburn driving past the Square in his sheepskin coat. He was in a yellow E Type.

Must change my Username.

Richard.

• Upvote 2

Welcome to the site, Richard.

I used the Mint regularly in the early Seventies. Always a bit of a squash, especially when live music was on, but a good atmosphere. Anyone use the Forum, the cocktail bar up on the third floor next to the restaurant? A bit more sophisticated, no beer only Lowenbrau in bottles, peanuts on the bar and you got your change on a saucer. A great place to take a young lady if you wanted to impress.

I did come a cropper though on one occasion, when my date unexpectedly announced she was hungry. There was the cheaper Carvery and next to it the swisher Four Seasons. She says ' ooh it looks nice in there '. I said we probably wouldn't get a table at short notice, fingers crossed, but the barman overheard and said he'd check availability. He came back smiling ' step this way Sir '. I gulped and we followed. However a very nice meal ensued and yes, she was impressed. Fortunately I had one of those new-fangled Barclaycard thingys with me, so we didn't end up doing the pots! Took me bleddy ages to pay it off. Worth it though...

• Upvote 4

Same here TBI,the cocktail bar was nice!! Large bourbon on the rocks in fat glasses...barman was balding and stocky. Always went there after playhouse bar closed...then into Blue Lagoon for a meat pall.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Thanks for the welcome.

Does anyone remember the cocktail lounge Strathdon Hotel?

Again about 1970/1 the four of us got off the Bartons bus from Stapleford on Mount St. We were all 18 and somehow we saw the steps up above the hotel and wandered in, it was, to our surprise a cocktail lounge, probably the first we had ever been in. Everyone was smartly dressed but we were made most welcome. The girls spotted a drink on another table they liked the look of and it turned out it was an American High Ball with Rye. They stayed on them all night. we stayed there until closing and never went to our beloved Flying Horse so it must have been good. We came out, negotiated the steps and caught last bus well oiled and broke. A wonderful night we all remember to this day. Curiously we never went back! Probably good thing as I was with the love of my life.

Brilliant Nottm then

Richard

• Upvote 1

Yes, now you mention it Richard, I think the main bar was the Jacobite. Usually packed on Folk Nights, I can remember the bar always erupted with the chorus whenever anyone played 'The Wild Rover'. No neverrrr, no mooooore!

Hi Ian

I remember it as the Jacobite Bar, I think. I also remember the Tartan bitter!

When in town the other week I walked over to the Strathdon, steps still there, must climb them again one day soon. Who knows she may be there waiting for me!

Regards

Richard