He was a great innovative D.J.

How many Discos would play a Wishbone Ash Track?

To call it a Disco would be an insult.

I don't think there is a word to describe it?

Forgot his name was Keith.

Kieth Flowers Perhaps.

Mentioned here lots do a search for "Petal"

I wonder where he moved on to and where he is now?

I know he did a radio show - back in 74/5 and I think he was on Trent, so maybe Craig will know someone who knows? What about Alex - only me and hippo girl seem to remember him - anyone else recall him?

This is what I love about this fabulous site, so many names, so many places remembered.

I don't know what happened to him but I do remember him. Absolutely right such an innovative DJ always pushing the boundaries of music.

Remember the ritualistic boogaloo dancing on the stage. and What about 'Swiftie' but I think he was on the door at the Boat where you paid downstairs first.

Just want to take a minute to say thanks for producing such a wonderful site and God bless all here. Before stumbling upon this site, to be honest I had been feeling completely dis-enfranchised from all the stuff today, and I guess when you were part of something and doing it all for the first time as we did, it kinda magnifies things when you no longer feel that you fit, but you have all cheered me up no end.

' I can see a face coming through the haze, I remember him from those crazy days'

Vaughan

He was a great innovative D.J.

How many Discos would play a Wishbone Ash Track?

To call it a Disco would be an insult.

I don't think there is a word to describe it?

Forgot his name was Keith.

Kieth Flowers Perhaps.

Mentioned here lots do a search for "Petal"

I wonder where he moved on to and where he is now?

The thing is neither of them - Keith or Pat - spoke much between tracks (at the Hippo anyway) and each record segued so seamlessly into the next one that quite oftewn you didn't realise that the track had changed.

I guess it was disco, Mick, but not as we know it. They never played duff or fluffy tracks - just fantasic music of any genre.

They played the Merry Clayton version of 'Gimme Shelter' and the Ike and Tina version of 'Honky Tonk Woman' which may (sorry Stones fans) be even better than the originals!

• 1 month later...

Hi y'all

Pat Petal here..............been looking at some of the comments and THANK YOU!!!! Yeah, we're both still alive & kicking....JUST. Still into music & still playing it. Wonderful to know that folks still remember those great clubs eh? The Hippo, Beachcomber, Dungeon,Pigalle, Ad Lib, Boat, Brit, Union . At one time or another I stood up and dj'd at every one of them, if only for one night at some of them.........LOL....

I spent 4 happy years at the Hippo....it was like getting paid for partying every night. We had Keith Moon in one night, he gave us a lift home in his Bently. Rosko was a regular & usually did a spot when he was in town. Oh boy...great days

Anyone wants to chew the fat 'bout those days. I think you can contact me on here.

Hi Petal..nice to see you on here...you are a Nottingham legend so welcome to this site...I was a dj at the Boat Club in 69 for a short time with a black guy called Wee Georgie..( I used the name Paul Allen at the time).till Filmore East replaced me..I'm sure a lot of people on here will be pleased you have made contact.

pete c....still riding a vespa

Great to have you on board Pat.

Fantastic early 70's summer memories on that balcony "Watching the River Flow"

Have you still got all those sounds?

Great to have you on board Pat.

Fantastic early 70's summer memories on that balcony "Watching the River Flow"

Have you still got all those sounds?

Ummmmmmmm I'm MRS Petal..........not Keith.......but yes.............we do still have all those sounds. Hehehehehe

This is what I love about this fabulous site, so many names, so many places remembered.

I don't know what happened to him but I do remember him. Absolutely right such an innovative DJ always pushing the boundaries of music.

Remember the ritualistic boogaloo dancing on the stage. and What about 'Swiftie' but I think he was on the door at the Boat where you paid downstairs first.

Just want to take a minute to say thanks for producing such a wonderful site and God bless all here. Before stumbling upon this site, to be honest I had been feeling completely dis-enfranchised from all the stuff today, and I guess when you were part of something and doing it all for the first time as we did, it kinda magnifies things when you no longer feel that you fit, but you have all cheered me up no end.

' I can see a face coming through the haze, I remember him from those crazy days'

Vaughan

Swifty was the doorman at the Brit when Pete Hubbard ran it. Not sure Swifty is still with us unfortunately. I see his son from time to time tho

Swifty was the doorman at the Brit when Pete Hubbard ran it. Not sure Swifty is still with us unfortunately. I see his son from time to time tho

Well, bloody hell! Hi Pat it is good to hear that you're both still out there! Say hi to keith from me. Did you move out of the caravan in the intervening years?

There's a lass on here called Hippo Girl and we're the only ones who seem to have been at the Hippo in the early 70s - can you help us out? Do you know what happened to anyone from there and then?

Tony? Gordon Long? Mick McCardle? Wendy? Brian? I know Andrea left town with Moonlight from the Penny, but did you ever see her again? Also, also also - What about Alex - he of the scottish accent and soul records!! Oh and if there is anyone you can remember that I haven't jog me and tell me about them Please

Hi, guys, I'm somewhat humbled and surprised by people trying to locate me. Well, I'm still alive and well and living in Dorset. I still have connections with Nottingham and will be on the main stage a this years Riverside Festival as I have been for the last 8 years. So why not come down and say hello.

I still have most of he music I had back in the Beachcomber and Union days but these days I am in the business of making music, not just playing it. Still cant leave the music though ,guys, and these days I make my living as a sound designer/engineer. This year will see me reach my 60th birthday. It doesn't seem that long ago that I was pumping out sounds down by the river Trent. Thank you for thinking of me after all this time and I'm happy that you all found my efforts worthwhile. Love to ya all, DJ Petal !clapping!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, guys, I'm somewhat humbled and surprised by people trying to locate me.

I am not sure how I managed to miss this post, though did approve Kieths Account, I did not see your post untill today.

I still have images of you on stage at the Union, Playing Black Dog by Led Zepelin.

I think you invented the 'Air Guitar'

I wonder if any photographs exist of from that era?

• 7 years later...

Hi, guys, I'm somewhat humbled and surprised by people trying to locate me. Well, I'm still alive and well and living in Dorset. I still have connections with Nottingham and will be on the main stage a this years Riverside Festival as I have been for the last 8 years. So why not come down and say hello.

I still have most of he music I had back in the Beachcomber and Union days but these days I am in the business of making music, not just playing it. Still cant leave the music though ,guys, and these days I make my living as a sound designer/engineer. This year will see me reach my 60th birthday. It doesn't seem that long ago that I was pumping out sounds down by the river Trent. Thank you for thinking of me after all this time and I'm happy that you all found my efforts worthwhile. Love to ya all, DJ Petal clapping.gif

Hi Keith!

Doubt you remember me but we used to chat at the Union on Thursdays, which were about my only night off from the 360 Club in Bulwell.and on odd occasions I went back with you and Mrs Petal for a cuppa at your place before walking the rest of the way home to Bestwood. You lived somewhere along Forest Rd at the time, opposite the cemetary.

I was 'DJ Colin' of the 'Magic Roundabout Disc Show' and we mostly did the 360, Carlton Hotel, a couple of other residencies and many gigs on the 'Weddings and Funerals' circuit.

Stay well!

Col

• 1 year later...

Hi DJ Petal, AKA Keith Brake(?). Many happy memories of nights spent at the Union Rowing Club dancing on the stage to Wishbone Ash Jailbait, Stones' Bitch, Staple Singers Respect Yourself and many many more but most especially the full version of Layla taking the tempo down to smooching and doing the "Union Stomp" to McKenna Mendelsohn Mainline's She's Alright. If you're still around get in touch, or anyone else who remembers me - Angie, front of stage air guitarist!!! 

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
On 16/10/2016 at 11:53 PM, Mrs Warner said:

Hi DJ Petal, AKA Keith Brake(?). Many happy memories of nights spent at the Union Rowing Club dancing on the stage to Wishbone Ash Jailbait, Stones' Bitch, Staple Singers Respect Yourself and many many more but most especially the full version of Layla taking the tempo down to smooching and doing the "Union Stomp" to McKenna Mendelsohn Mainline's She's Alright. If you're still around get in touch, or anyone else who remembers me - Angie, front of stage air guitarist!!! 

Hi Angie... did you marry Martin? If so, I remember coming to your wedding and also dancing on the stage with you and all the others at The Union to Petal's music. Also remember Mick and my old friend Graham from F Fields.  Happy days!!

• 1 year later...

If your still there DJPetal thanks for the many enjoyable nights at The Union Rowing Club and for setting me up with a liking of music to this day, you kept me boogieing along all my life bud. I can still remember the Steeley Dan tracks, Seeing Ace live on stage and the Union Stomp. I have been a Dan Fan ever since those days and going to see them in Birmingham again in Feb  Thanks for the music to live my life by, enjoyed every second.

Brian Willoughby. 

• 2 years later...
On 6/30/2008 at 11:41 PM, Pat Petal said:

Hi y'all

Pat Petal here..............been looking at some of the comments and THANK YOU!!!! Yeah, we're both still alive & kicking....JUST. Still into music & still playing it. Wonderful to know that folks still remember those great clubs eh? The Hippo, Beachcomber, Dungeon,Pigalle, Ad Lib, Boat, Brit, Union . At one time or another I stood up and dj'd at every one of them, if only for one night at some of them.........LOL....

I spent 4 happy years at the Hippo....it was like getting paid for partying every night. We had Keith Moon in one night, he gave us a lift home in his Bently. Rosko was a regular & usually did a spot when he was in town. Oh boy...great days

Anyone wants to chew the fat 'bout those days. I think you can contact me on here.

Hi matey. Don't know if you remember me but I used to pick you up from your caravan and transport you and your records to the Union and guard your equipment when you went for a smooch! Grahame

Graham Rhodes - I hope you get a reply, but Pat Petal's original post was 13 years ago (!) and she hasn't logged in here since 2015.

However, you might trigger a few memories on the subject from other people.

• 2 months later...

can somebody put me out of my misery.

remember dancing away in 1971 but can remember the name of the place.   played lots of beatles, motown...... and danced away,   had a parking area to the side where we got pickedup for ome.   remember dancing, dropping off picking up at the door, what was it called?

only one floor for all .. great times.   dirt parking area at the side, got packed with family picking up, but not late as these days,  more like  11 or 12 at night.   pretty early these days!"

On 9/10/2015 at 1:19 PM, DJ360 said:

Hi Keith!

Doubt you remember me but we used to chat at the Union on Thursdays, which were about my only night off from the 360 Club in Bulwell.and on odd occasions I went back with you and Mrs Petal for a cuppa at your place before walking the rest of the way home to Bestwood. You lived somewhere along Forest Rd at the time, opposite the cemetary.

I was 'DJ Colin' of the 'Magic Roundabout Disc Show' and we mostly did the 360, Carlton Hotel, a couple of other residencies and many gigs on the 'Weddings and Funerals' circuit.

Stay well!

Col

yeah the metal outside staircase to enter the flat got me,  too many steps !

Am i in the right place?   remember  climbing the stairs  wondering how we would get down,, lol

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Petal (Keith) was the best DJ, remember dancing on the stage at the Union in the late 60’s early 70’s with Grahame from Forest Fields, Lindsay from Bobbers Mill, Roger, Ian (remember the Mick Jagger dancing)Cliff and Jill from WB, Caron, Helen and Gill. Also Roy at the bar. Great times and music like Samba Pa Ti and Layla. Remember throwing glasses down from the terrace outside onto the grass and collecting them on the way to the car on the way home. Oops. Used to park in the car park under what was the Bridgford Hotel.