Autokarna and Evening Post Motor Show

Wollaton car thing, Wonderful, hard to know where to look next. Still can't make a decision, is the XK150 the one or an E type? ;; win the lottery , buy both. The nicest item there, as of last year, is the the ally 3 wheeler built by the owner AND has a tow-bar! Real car lovers are sound people aren't they? All arrived regardless of the threat of rain, I liked the steam engine where kids could sound the whistle for 20p! Spent more time around the junk stalls than the car lines. And regardless of the stuff about too many foreign people hereabouts, the people with unnotty accents seemed so happy and enthusiastic about it all. I noticed that the owners of the sexy Jap driftcar things just had to be there in the driver's seat whist the old car owners just left their cars to be looked over at leisure. Free bus there, no admission fee, free bus home. Thanks Notty ratepayers and Taxpayers. Back to my Fiesta and old bike.

Lizzie sorry to have missed you............ Denshaw just caught me as I warmed up the engine before leaving.

The guy with the Sunbeam next door told me various people had been looking for me.

Anyway I was not in the beer tent, waited till I got home for that!

I was raking through the rusty bits in the next field for other projects; sometimes you come across a part that is quite rare or unusual or something that will help a friend get their car going. I was also having long conversations with friends with their Austin 7s in particular there was a fabulous Swallow bodied car that was the car of the show for me!

It is always a great do I have been going since the 70s; next year (if I survive the next year!) we can fix a time at the car or somewhere else.

• Upvote 2

Loved the car Siddha. You've done a magnificent job.

Didn't get to Wollaton Park this year due to other commitments.

I was reminded tho of a vintage & classic car show held at Rolls Royce Hucknall a few years ago.

The usual cars & M'Bikes etc were there.

One of my all time favourite cars.

DSC_0684_zps4d3026ea.jpg

Several Messerschmitt Bubble Cars.

DSC_0712_zps4f6e45e6.jpg

What made the day was the owner of this beautiful car was quite happy to talk about his car, answering questions about it etc. He even let Mrs Catfan have a sit on the back seat !

A lot of owners were just content to sit on their picnic chairs & wallow in the general public's admiring glances at their car.

DSC_0667_zpse1d962ac.jpg

DSC_0668_zps1ead8ebf.jpg

The latest owner had "found" this car in Long Island, New York, bought & took over to the USA by a Doctor many years ago.in quite a delapidated condition, bringing it back here & fully restoring it.

• Upvote 2

Loved the car Siddha. You've done a magnificent job.

Thanks FLY2 I would love to take all the credit but cannot!!

Over the years I have restored from ground up a number of vintage and veteran cars and one or two bikes.

I still fettle and do components for people who know me but have more recently avoided doing complete cars.

With age and creaky knees/hips and arthritis I am less cheerful about grovelling around on cold concrete floors.

The last three cars I have done have been the stalled or incomplete restorations of others.

The Bentley I have made go and stop reliably (which it couldn't!) and stopped it pumping oil into the rear brake drums etc.etc.

I did not do the body or the upholstery, they were done. I wish I could do those things ...... I am more interested in the mechanical/engineering aspects of these motors.

I wish I'd kept one of my cars, a 1933 MG J2, but I was a fool in the early sixties and abused it. ... Oh well !!!!

AMA 304

Me Too.

• Upvote 1

DD is the better car of these two and I have had it 31 years now. The other was my fathers which I have now had 20 years and unfortunately it is now a bit poorly but I prefer its appearance with that number plate.

2nk41og.jpg

• Upvote 6

My fav was a 62 Austin A60 I bought off dad. 654 MRR.

• 1 year later...

WP for me, Sunday afternoon. 

Never made either Mrs Red & I sat outside The Bell waiting for No 10 to Rudd, joined sister & daughter & blokes!

Right Wollo it is paddock B number 46 (If your driving Lambourn Drive for parking free & you'll miss the traffic off Wollo)  

Great turn out, but didn't see Siddha. Some real beauties there. 

I was there with motor but spent most of my time raking through the piles of autojumble and chuntering to old mates .........heads under bonnets conversations.

One of the things I was looking for was a screw out jack of the 1930s to go in a bracket under the bonnet, needless to say loads and loads of jacks but not one to suit my car!!! May find one at Beaulieu in September.

• Upvote 1

I was a bit peeved that there weren't any programmes available other than at the main gate, which I presume is on Middleton Blvd. I entered from Parkside, and even though I asked three marshals, none could help. I wanted one in order to look for two old work colleagues who I thought would be exhibiting..... Never mind.

#44 Don't think I have ever missed one & I have never seen a program, when it was the Nottingham Evening Post motor show they did print a lay out for the new car stalls in the post, I did get something through the door, but it was more a new car preview, its now sponsored by ncn college.

Looked for this cream & black car & Siddha twice on row B no find? What make was this car Siddha? My two favorite cars of the day where both rat looking a mini van & a Capri .......Ooooooo had Sunday dinner in The Wollaton Pub & Kitchen on way home very nice £13.50 x 2.

image_zpsjprlgwim.jpeg

image_zpswe7xfnch.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Heads Up

The Autokarna  at Woolaton Park is taking place on Sunday 9th June.

I will be there with a car...…….whatever is running well will have to do!

Hope to meet one or two of you as we have in the past.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Will be there with a 1930 Chrysler 70, a big old brown fabric bodied car.

Class B  ……………….. B41.

Come and say hello if your around.