Cinderhill Colliery mid 1980's

OK Terry, using your points of reference I found it, there's a recreation ground on the site now, Newcastle Farm is still on the A TO Z map I have in front of me. In fact it's not that far from the old Babbington Colliery either, again on the same page of the map book.

by recreation ground I assume you mean Melbourne Park? that was there when the pit was working, If you go on google satellite maps on Melbourne Rd (Nutall Rd end) where it is dual carriageway you'll see what looks like a road crossing, to the north it is now a footpath, to the south an entrance to a health centre, that is the route of the old mineral railway it followed that line of now tree's skirting the park, the pit was between that and and nuthall rd where all the new housing is now, there was also a road/path opposite Basford Rd leading to Breffits Garage and the park, with "sleeper crossings" over the railway, we used to go up that and ride bikes up the embankments of the old sidings

My map doesn't give a name for the park Ashley, just shows it and it is dead opposite Basford Rd, so it' is probably what you say. At least I now know the exact location of the old Colliery.

OK Terry, using your points of reference I found it, there's a recreation ground on the site now, Newcastle Farm is still on the A TO Z map I have in front of me. In fact it's not that far from the old Babbington Colliery either, again on the same page of the map book.

In the 50's the farm was called piggy's ad the smell was awful!! we would cut through from Nuthall road, through an entry by piggy's farm and on to Melbourne park, I vcan also remember the coal lorries filling up from the 'silo's' on the site of the old Newcastle pit......... :victory: