• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lol - don't know why I am the person to ask - but yes - olive oil is good - and is a health benefit. It is plant oil - vegetable oil and so healthier than animal fat oil [i.e lard or butter]. It does

Things you walked past and never noticed ........On Bridlesmith Gate there is a shopping alley called Bridlesmith Walk. Go along it and it looks like this. Upmarket fashion places. It comes out

Thanks nonnaB, Mrs C say's she is always right ! i daren't argue with her, it's that Italian blood in her

#24 Ian

The Beaujolais you mentioned up Eldon Chambers was that its name throughout the 80's or did it have another name? When fellow posters on here mentioned the Rheingold my thoughts immediately turned to here for some reason.

Took my girlfriend there to impress her in the late 70's , weve been married 32 years now, darn it , wish I'd took her the the Flying Hoss now....my wife cant see me writing this by the way :unsure:

• Upvote 1

That picture brings back such memories, can't believe it still looks the same with the entrance door in the corner, considering how inner cities re-develop their central assets so quickly, just another of those Nottingham icons that in there day burned very brightly!

King John's Chambers heyday was in the 1980s. The offices and shops were known as Sharespace - owned by local architect Andrew James who was also involved in another Sharespace on Stoney Steet and the Lace Centre on High Pavement.

Fingers and pies come to mind along with George Akin and Ken Grundy!

• 7 months later...

Looks like the old Rhinegold is finally being developed. I walked past it the other day and noticed scaffolding up and a bit of Twitter digging unearthed this pic of the inside:

https://twitter.com/FHPUK/status/674226877364572160/photo/1

I asked Giorgio from La Capanna about the place and he said he used to be mates with Rodrigo, but lost contact with him years ago. Will be interesting to see what it turns into...

The years I walked along Bridlesmith Gate and never once noticed that alley. I wonder what else I missed in town?

You've obviously never been chased by the law then have you? You'd be surprised what you find when you are.

• Upvote 1

Hi 68fb

Pasquale Sorrentino was my husbands ex partner at Da Vinci West Bridgeford when they first opened. The partnership didn't last long and my husband got out quick......... They had worked together at Trattoria Conte and he did our wedding reception, I remember all the boys that worked for Ermete at that time. I didn't realise he was also at the Rhinegold.

Hippogirl yes the Beaujolais used to be where the second Trattoria Conte was at one time . The first one being on St James' st

Yes Ian I knew Efisio and I'd forgotten that he managed Valentinos for Carlo Slaviero who is now at Derby.

John Albert

Rhinegold. Sorry to inform you but Rodrigo died quite a few years ago. I was a friend of his before 1970. After he sold I think he did stay on as manager . Dont know who owned the premises but I know Jesus who eventually had it whether as manager or tennant I cant say.

Sounds like Efisio. I think they all used to have their favourite names for clients. When helping ladies on with fur coats they'd say in Italian " here madam let me help you with your scruffy rabbit"

Naughty but funny to them. Occasionally jokes like that would backfire

Italian waiters were firey..but not to me..Spanish were cool,Jose Reuda and Pepe were my mates for years.

Best way to get into a waiters good books?..come in on an afternoon and do the weeks Melba toast,and do the butter curls daily!!

PeteB

Giorgio and his wife Heather used to work for us at La Buca on Thurland st. when we are in Nottingham we often pop into La capanna.

Next time you go say hello to him and his partner whose name escapes me at the moment. I should remember it he spent an afternoon at our house and got through nearly a full bottle of grappa. My husband had to follow him home to Mapperley to make sure he got home safely.