Does anyone remember this fine eaterie? I never ate here myself but my dad ate here quite a few times with work.... as he is now dead I was wondering where it was- I think it was somewhere in the lace market but can't be sure... I think it was cordon bleu stuff an d was quite pricy. I think it's gone now... I suppose Hearts in the old general is on its par especially the price....

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lol - don't know why I am the person to ask - but yes - olive oil is good - and is a health benefit. It is plant oil - vegetable oil and so healthier than animal fat oil [i.e lard or butter]. It does

Things you walked past and never noticed ........On Bridlesmith Gate there is a shopping alley called Bridlesmith Walk. Go along it and it looks like this. Upmarket fashion places. It comes out

Thanks nonnaB, Mrs C say's she is always right ! i daren't argue with her, it's that Italian blood in her

Its still there but boarded up on King John's Chambers the cut thorough between Bridlesmith Gate & Fletcher Gate .

It's been boarded up for ages and it's in quite a sorry state, also looks like a new bar or cafe is opening in the building next door; I'll see if I can get you a photo.

Ate there a couple of times in the 80's . Can't rememeber it being anything special though.

Ate there a couple of times in the 80's . Can't rememeber it being anything special though.

I worked there as a relief chef for a month late 70's, for a guy I new who was their main chef, his name was Pasquale Sorrentino & I had trained under him in the Dorchester Restaurant, Hamilton Road? the Rhinegold wasa great place owned by a guy who was a BA pilot & his Stewardess partner, he was always dead keen on supplying me with anything I needed - would just tell me where he was flying to that day & would pick me up some stuff at the local market there - imagine thet hapening today lol.

the waitresses were all attractive professional girls from the city who worked the evening shifts between them, the kitchen was so small, half of the prep for service was outside in the courtyard for lack of room, very busy & popular, I turned down into King John's Chambers last year when back in Nottingham briefly (I have lived in Scotland since '83) & was gobsmacked to see it still there in a sorry, peeling state after all the buzz of it's heyday

Welcome 68fb?

Thank you for your input.

What was Warro's Wine bar at that time, and I am sure you can remember the Ariba club, or Lantern Lodge that were nearbye?

Also across the road was a place upstairs which was a pretty low quality bar?/cafe. Name scapes me.

I worked there as a relief chef for a month late 70's, for a guy I new who was their main chef, his name was Pasquale Sorrentino & I had trained under him in the Dorchester Restaurant, Hamilton Road? the Rhinegold wasa great place owned by a guy who was a BA pilot & his Stewardess partner, he was always dead keen on supplying me with anything I needed - would just tell me where he was flying to that day & would pick me up some stuff at the local market there - imagine thet hapening today lol.

the waitresses were all attractive professional girls from the city who worked the evening shifts between them, the kitchen was so small, half of the prep for service was outside in the courtyard for lack of room, very busy & popular, I turned down into King John's Chambers last year when back in Nottingham briefly (I have lived in Scotland since '83) & was gobsmacked to see it still there in a sorry, peeling state after all the buzz of it's heyday

I was a bit shocked by Beefsteaks comments as I was lead to believe that this was a first class resteraunt. Beefsteak said he went there in the 80s I think that my dad wouldve frequented the place late 70s early 80s. He always raved it then and would go there with business clients

I do beg your pardon I have the wrong restaurant in mind(I was thinking of one called "Westleys" which was on the other side of Bridlesmith gate, behind Marks and Spencer.

I too provided the Rhinegold with frozen produce around this period when I worked for T.W. Seafoods .I don't remember having the pleasure of eating there, but I do remember the decor.

I do beg your pardon I have the wrong restaurant in mind(I was thinking of one called "Westleys" which was on the other side of Bridlesmith gate, behind Marks and Spencer.

I too provided the Rhinegold with frozen produce around this period when I worked for T.W. Seafoods .I don't remember having the pleasure of eating there, but I do remember the decor.

Thanks for your 'apology' - begining to think that my father did't have any culinery tastes!!!!. I have a feeling that the rhinegold was a place where 'surf and turf' was. Which ties in with beefsteaks seafoods.

Any comments anyone?

What was the decor like???

I worked there as a relief chef for a month late 70's, for a guy I new who was their main chef, his name was Pasquale Sorrentino & I had trained under him in the Dorchester Restaurant, Hamilton Road?

Ahh!! The Dorchester. thumbsup

IMMSC, George was the owner and his son, Alex was one of the excellent waiters. I've spent many a Saturday night in there, along with a small percentage of my hard earned income. Great restaurant in it's day and a sad loss when George retired.

One of the few places that cooked fresh food and served it properly, flambe at the table, drinks lounge, etc etc. Enjoy your retirement George wherever you are.

Welcome 68fb?

Thank you for your input.

What was Warro's Wine bar at that time, and I am sure you can remember the Ariba club, or Lantern Lodge that were nearbye?

Also across the road was a place upstairs which was a pretty low quality bar?/cafe. Name scapes me.

Thanks for the welcome mick2me, never had a great memory for names but vaguely recall the Ariba club although I am sure if I saw a pic' alongside a name the mists would clear lol, went to the Ad-lib/Sandpiper a lot & Rock City of course!

Thanks for your 'apology' - begining to think that my father did't have any culinery tastes!!!!. I have a feeling that the rhinegold was a place where 'surf and turf' was. Which ties in with beefsteaks seafoods.

Any comments anyone?

What was the decor like???

Hi Mariag, Don't remember the decor too much (buried in the kitchen for most of the time!) but the place had a very good atmosphere between the staff owners & customers, that's the beauty of a Restaurant when everything clicks - good food, service & a great bunch of regular customers, it's why we are discussing it now after all these years lol It was very hard work as a one man job plus someone washing up (no room for more bodies) but I was left pretty much to my own devises, would have enjoyed a full time position there but as I said, was just temping for holidays, you can be sure that Your dad had good taste if he was a regular there!

Ahh!! The Dorchester. thumbsup

IMMSC, George was the owner and his son, Alex was one of the excellent waiters. I've spent many a Saturday night in there, along with a small percentage of my hard earned income. Great restaurant in it's day and a sad loss when George retired.

One of the few places that cooked fresh food and served it properly, flambe at the table, drinks lounge, etc etc. Enjoy your retirement George wherever you are.

Hi Frank, George Christodoulou & son Andy (or Andre') worked it, George was some guy, came to Nottingham after losing everything in the Cyprus divide & worked very hard to to establish himself, was sorry to here that the Dorchester closed (a few years ago?) & is now housing/flats? I believe.

It certainly was a very successful & busy Restaurant, I must have sweated a few gallons working in that kitchen!

Was the Dorchester in the Thackerys lane area of Arnold ?

My reason for asking is the name Christodoulou, I remember that name when working for T.W. Seafoods and it connects to a restaurant in that area (In my memory banks anyway)

Was the Dorchester in the Thackerys lane area of Arnold ?

My reason for asking is the name Christodoulou, I remember that name when working for T.W. Seafoods and it connects to a restaurant in that area (In my memory banks anyway)

It was on Hamilton Road running through from Sherwood Rise to Hucknall Road, don't know of any connection with Arnold though!

• 1 month later...

Johnalbert

The wife and i used to go to the Rhinegold in the late 80s and early 90s the owner then was Rod (Rodrigo) Beltran he was a great guy ,we used to go there every Friday night with some friends , we used to sit in one of the small booths, when it got late he used to leave us with our drinks while he went upstairs to do his paper work ,often stayed till 1 or 2 in the morning ,decorated in a rustic spainish style with oak beams, best food in Nottingham but not cheap, shame to see it like it is now , Rod sold the business and we were told that he was going to stay on as manager , new owners painted all the oak beams white only saw it through windows but it looked terrable, but for some reason it never opened again , good times , wonder what happened to Rod

• 6 years later...

Things you walked past and never noticed ........On Bridlesmith Gate there is a shopping alley called Bridlesmith Walk.

bridle1x.jpg

Go along it and it looks like this. Upmarket fashion places.

bridle4.jpg

It comes out on Fletcher Gate, next to the Ibis Hotel.

bridle2.jpg

And on the way through the Walk, you come across the abandoned, derelict Rhinegold Restaurant. The subject of the thread, but never photographed.

bridle3.jpg

• Upvote 2

There use to be some great shops ........buckles the independent shoe shop, excel the jewellers, obi the children's wear ......boxer menswear .....opened early 1980 ? ...........

BTW, the Walk teashop next to Rhinegold has gone, and an amazing new bar opened Junkyard ......

• Upvote 1

The Rhinegold used to be a pub I believe, The Rose Tavern?

You could be right. It certainly looks like it could have been a pub. I know it was the Rhinegold by the mid-70s.

The years I walked along Bridlesmith Gate and never once noticed that alley. I wonder what else I missed in town?

Looks like hippo girl was the only person who ever went in the shops there. :cool:

• Upvote 1