• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lol - don't know why I am the person to ask - but yes - olive oil is good - and is a health benefit. It is plant oil - vegetable oil and so healthier than animal fat oil [i.e lard or butter]. It does

Things you walked past and never noticed ........On Bridlesmith Gate there is a shopping alley called Bridlesmith Walk. Go along it and it looks like this. Upmarket fashion places. It comes out

Thanks nonnaB, Mrs C say's she is always right ! i daren't argue with her, it's that Italian blood in her

Lizzie Ive just this minute remembered his name. Does his wife Maggie go in still? Just say hello from Brenda and Alessio

• Upvote 1

Philmayfield

Yep thats us. Both our son and daughter have carried on the family tradition here in Italy.

I presume you went to both or if you're like a lot of people followed Alex from trattoria conte.

Yes, followed you until you left for Italy. I once hired the whole of La Buca for a gang of us from the Sherwood Flying Club. You put on one of your excellent gourmet evenings. Just one of the more elderly members had cause to complain because you served rabbit. He said he had eaten enough of that during the war!

Good wishes to both of you.

Phil

• Upvote 1

Ian you are going back a while. We used to sometimes go there on a sunday or rather my husband did. He often went to buy salami, cheese, olives etc. On arrival home I would ask where is everything . The reply was always ....well er...I had to wait at the level crossing and I was hungry!

Mingaloni left and we started going to Giorgios further along they had a lot more selection. You probably know they became big and started in wholesale. Sadly Giorgio died a while ago he'd been quite ill.

Nonna I know all these people from the restaurant game,and I lived on Oakdale Road. I bet we met in the past..from the Tratt or other place..sure you lived above from me on Mansfield rd!!

Ahh! Mingaloni if only I could tell!

"Chef ian I no have the bill paid yet"!!

Always gave me nice things at Xmas..as I used to fall out with my boss,so his bills could get paid!!

Phil. I've been thinking all afternoon I remember your name very well but unfortunately I cannot place you. Did you go to Puccini s before we left to come here or did you go to L'Angolo before we came here. ( Alex gets itchy feet)

We were the first restaurant to start these gourmet evenings and they were a great success. We have started them here too.

Rabbit isn't really popular in UK but its a must. Most people rear there own. My daughter cooks it with chocolate and it. goes in a flash.

I didn't go down to La Buca very often as the children were still small but I went in at the weekends .

Anyway its nice to hear from you.

Brenda

Ian . I didn't live on Mansfield Rd but as a child we lived on Huntingdon st right opposite the school. Yes I'm sure you could tell me a lot about Mingalone but I know already. ,!

I only got to know the restaurant round after I got married but we are still in touch with many.

Brenda - we went both to Puccini's and L'Angolo. I used to go on business many times to Milano and Firenze. I was the customer so I was entertained at some fine Italian restaurants - not just the posh ones - the good ones. One chap I knew was the son of the Mayor of Florence at the time and he had cousins everywhere that kept restaurants. I remember some good times!

Back in Nottingham it was good to dine at yours and remember the true taste of Italy.

Phil

• Upvote 1

I've certainly missed out, too, Michael. I feel a bit ashamed to say I've never been in an Italian restaurant! The nearest I get to Italian food is at Pizza Hut. When I was very young, we never ate out anywhere - in fact the first meal I ever ate out was mushrooms on toast at a cafe in Mansfield, then I vaguely remember being taken out to a Chinese restaurant in Worcester when I was 18. I remember that one because I had no idea what to order, or how to eat it and then I didn't like it anyway. I felt out of my depth. We still don't eat out much - don't know why... (But I do like Chinese and Indian takeaways now!)

Just remembered, Paul and I used to sometimes go to the Hungry I pancake house in Leicester before we were married.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow - they have made a beautiful job of restoring the building!!! I have fond memories of being taken for lunch at the Rhinegold by my boss - together with other staff I might add - as a treat 3 or 4 times a year. I was only young, and I thought it VERY posh - what with the silver service and sweet trolley etc. We used to come out of there podged and slightly tipsy....! He knew his etiquette and taught me, by watching him, how to behave in a nice restaurant!!!

lol -

don't know why I am the person to ask - but yes - olive oil is good - and is a health benefit. It is plant oil - vegetable oil and so healthier than animal fat oil [i.e lard or butter]. It doesn't log the arteries like animal oil/fat does.

You have to think Mediterranean diet - olive oil and loads of veg/salad together with dairy products and limited meats - apparently makes for the perfect diet that will keep you living a long and healthy life.........................

• Upvote 2

Catfan , can't add to the above , but choose extra virgin olive oil cold pressed if you can find it. I only use olive oil for cooking and EVO for salad or dressing veg. Look for oil from Liguria and don't buy a mix of oil from different areas or countries. Also look for an oil that is dark green in colour and taste the difference. You won't go back to butter. My favourite is having a salad with lots of EVO and just a dash of balsamic vinegar, eating the salad and mopping up the dressing with fresh crispy bread. Try it . Tell Mrs C shes right.

Welcome laini3961. I think you got off on the right track. Enjoy NS you'll find all sorts on here, enjoy it

• Upvote 1
  • 4 years later...
On 7/18/2008 at 9:58 PM, johnalbert said:

Johnalbert

The wife and i used to go to the Rhinegold in the late 80s and early 90s the owner then was Rod (Rodrigo) Beltran he was a great guy ,we used to go there every Friday night with some friends , we used to sit in one of the small booths, when it got late he used to leave us with our drinks while he went upstairs to do his paper work ,often stayed till 1 or 2 in the morning ,decorated in a rustic spainish style with oak beams, best food in Nottingham but not cheap, shame to see it like it is now , Rod sold the business and we were told that he was going to stay on as manager , new owners painted all the oak beams white only saw it through windows but it looked terrable, but for some reason it never opened again , good times , wonder what happened to Rod

Rodrigo.. although I didn't know him, my mother spoke highly of him, being friends since they worked together at the Parkside (station street) many years before. He died apparently several years ago unfortunately.